Military Doctrines - Reading List

Antimony

This is reading list for miliatary doctrines from around the world. An understanding of these

Request to Mods: Can this be made into a sticky?

US military doctrines: The US DoD develops a published doctrines for different arms of the US Miliarty. The US Army Training and Doctrine Command (TRADOC) is responsible for developing Army doctrine, Naval Warfare Development Command (NWDC) Doctrine Department coordinates development, publication, and maintenance of US Navy doctrine, while HQ, USAF, publishes Air force doctrine

Link to the motherload of US Military Manuals
Army Field Manuals

Here are some of the important ones

US Army Field Manual 3.0 - Grandaddy of all full spectrum Operations, and an extremely hard read. Many other doctrines are derived out of this one, like the Indian and Chinese doctrines
FM3-0 TABLE OF CONTENTS Operations

US Army Staff College Student Text Battlebook
ST 100-3 Battle Book

US Army Field Manual 3.0 - Mission Command:Command and Control of Army Forces
FM 6-0 Table of Contents

Antimony

Doctrines from US Army Infantry Units - From Rifle Sections to Brigades

US Army Field Manual 7-8: INFANTRY RIFLE PLATOON AND SQUAD
FM 7-8 Table of Contents

US Army Field Manual 7-10: THE INFANTRY RIFLE COMPANY
FM 7-10 Table of Contents

US Army Field Manual 7-20: INFANTRY BATTALION
FM 7-20 Table of Contents

US Army Field Manual 7-30: INFANTRY BRIGADE
FM 7-30 Table of Contents

These cover just the infantry units. There are separate doctrines that cover mechanized, artillery, engineer and other types of units.

Can someone find the Indian equivalent?

Soham

DFI TEAM
Country flag
Thank you all. Very informative reads.

Antimony

cold start doctrine..
This is an analysis of the doctrine, not the actual document thanks nonetheless.

I think I saw the actual Doctrinal document somewhere, will try to get it

Does anyone have the original "Sundarji doctrine"? I am also trying to get my hands on the recently published Counterinsurgency and Joint Amphibious Operations doctrines

Ratus Ratus

Professional
This is reading list for miliatary doctrines from around the world. An understanding of these

Link to the motherload of US Military Manuals
Army Field Manuals
Anything at Global Security tends to be out of date. Security reasons obviously.

Here are some of the important ones

US Army Field Manual 3.0 - Grandaddy of all full spectrum Operations, and an extremely hard read. Many other doctrines are derived out of this one, like the Indian and Chinese doctrines
FM3-0 TABLE OF CONTENTS Operations Superseded

US Army Staff College Student Text Battlebook
ST 100-3 Battle Book Heck this is dated 1999. A lot has changed since then.

US Army Field Manual 3.0 - Mission Command:Command and Control of Army Forces
FM 6-0 Table of Contents Though this is dated 2003 CC has altered since then. Much of the doctrine was altered during the various stages of the Iraq conflict and reconstruct. So a good chance it is out of date.
Just because its there does not mean it is current.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
US Army Field Manual 7-8: INFANTRY RIFLE PLATOON AND SQUAD
FM 7-8 Table of Contents

US Army Field Manual 7-10: THE INFANTRY RIFLE COMPANY
FM 7-10 Table of Contents

US Army Field Manual 7-20: INFANTRY BATTALION
FM 7-20 Table of Contents

US Army Field Manual 7-30: INFANTRY BRIGADE
FM 7-30 Table of Contents

These cover just the infantry units. There are separate doctrines that cover mechanized, artillery, engineer and other types of units.
See my post above. All Inf FMs are now FM 3-xxx The Inf FM 7 series are superseded.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
The new stuff ain't open source, Captain. Otherwise, I give them to my wife to get her to sleep.
I know, they don't know. I tried 'She Who Must be Obeyed' with an old version of one of these. Did not work, she object to lack of story line so the concept does not work.

Now a scotch does wonders.

And some of it is straight boring. Try FM 3-0 or FM 3-07 and I don't mean the ones at global security.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Good idea, Captain, openning a bottle of Glen Breton right now.
Colonel, Sir I feel we are digressing into the land of the selective palate. This may be outside the scope of learning for the many present.

On topic though, it is interesting to look at the development and the content style of presentation of the US FMs over an extended time frame.
One simple example would be:
FM 7-20 Infantry Field Manual Rifle Battalion - 1942
FM 7-20 Infantry Field Manual Rifle Battalion – 1944
FM 7-20 Infantry Rifle Battalion - 1992
FM 3-21.20 The Infantry Rifle Battalion - XXX

The 1942 version is a merger 280 odd pages vs the XXX vintage of some 600 pages.
I also not a bit more detail re organisation has appeared in the XXX version cf the ’92 style.

I think I prefer the Aust ones, no big print and use bigger words, also smaller in size.
I always feel the FMs present the blueprint to follow, sort of giving you how you will do it line vs the Aust ones which provides a loose guide and you are expected to use intelligence to make a decision.
I presume the Canadian manuals have a similar line as the Aust ones?

Officer of Engineers

Professional
All the FMs are taken off line and are restricted to internal use. Though some are not class protected, they remained restricted use. That includes the British, Canadian, and Australian FMs as well.

The current ones running around the internet are the older copies that while not class protected, are also not being offerred on line anymore.

Ratus Ratus

Professional
Antimony:
As the good COL pointed out you don't get to see the new stuff.
Many countries do not even release their old FMs even after the 'Restricted' classification has run its course. I know that is the general case here in Australia.

Also I will point out that the FMs you have seen tend to be at least 2 versions out of date literally. That means their use is really only good for civis who want to play civilian/public domain tactical war games according to a sort of 'real' set of doctrine. If you work with the military tactical sims they are useless.
They do have a historical concept if you are a historian of tactical and strategic behavior.

Now if you really want a nice set of these FMs try this site, but it will cost you about US$55 to get the complete set of CDs.
Army Training, Engineering and Medical CD Collection at USHistoricalArchive.com

So if you want to join the army, expect to be an officer and crash hot tactically, you need to do a few fundamentals. But that becomes another story and longer than this post.

Antimony

So if you want to join the army, expect to be an officer and crash hot tactically, you need to do a few fundamentals. But that becomes another story and longer than this post.
All I want to do is talk down a fellow civvie who talks tactical trash on forums like these, and then slink away when a rea pro saunters in :D

But seriously, since this is a military forum and especially this section is labelled strategy and tactics, I thought that folks would do well to read up military theory a bit.

By the way, are you on worldaffairsboard (WAB)?

Ratus Ratus

Professional
All I want to do is talk down a fellow civvie who talks tactical trash on forums like these, and then slink away when a rea pro saunters in :D

But seriously, since this is a military forum and especially this section is labelled strategy and tactics, I thought that folks would do well to read up military theory a bit.

By the way, are you on worldaffairsboard (WAB)?
Well the material will give you some form of understanding.

I am on many boards in one form or the other, WAB being one.
(If you walk through the bush and leave no tracks, if your troops say and believe you can appear from nowwhere; you are a shadow.) That applies very much, like the name. :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles