Merkel: Europe can no longer rely on America

square

Strategic Issues
mercedes, audi , scoda , bmw.....trump should be happy that americans are rich , so they are buying these brands.....

and resently tesla is doing good ,and catching up.. ....

Last edited:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
The combined EU gdp is close to that of US. And it already has world's leading defence companies. And you guys really thought they cannot fight their own wars? Over the course of time we would get a clear picture of what this army will do and how powerful it is. But one thing is clear Germany has a central role in shaping EU army.
Dealing with Americans is much easier than dealing with several different countries in EU each running with its own agenda.
War is much more complicated affair than having leading defense companies. Russian will steam roll EU without American help.
Even their defense companies are dependent on US for majority of their business.
EU is nothing but German super state.
EU (in general) is one of the largest markets bigger than North America. Also EU is more open to skilled immigrants from India unlike US. It is an opportunity that should not to be wasted.
Sir, I find your statement to be incorrect. US is much bigger market compared to all of EU be it consumer or industrial goods.
One must not forget Europeans are the most racist people in the face of Earth. They will prefer to make loss but deal with their Europeans partner than deal with Asians and make profit.

airtel

Country flag
few months ago , few people on RT were saying that Germans are creating an army to fight a war against the Russians ................and this is why they accepted so many military aged Muzzies and now they will use them against the Russians .

IndianHawk

Country flag
The combined EU gdp is close to that of US. And it already has world's leading defence companies. And you guys really thought they cannot fight their own wars? Over the course of time we would get a clear picture of what this army will do and how powerful it is. But one thing is clear Germany has a central role in shaping EU army.
First let them form their own army. Then let France agree whether it wants in nukes under EU umbrella or not. Europeans can't even agree on matters as simple as how many refugees to take in ,to think they will agree of when and who to fight a war with is ridiculous .

Far right parties are rising every where in Europe. Euro is only benefitting Germany at the cost of smaller nations. They are also hating Germany for the flood of unwanted refugees. Things are very very complicated and Europe is more and more divided.

bipin

It was BBC world service poll . I mistakenly remembered pew .

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Indian_sentiment
Check the media section of the link. 68% Germans are negative towards India even more than pakistan.:pound::pound:
Bhai, please read the article again. It says BBC is indophobic whose survey you are quoting. That is not a credible survey. It says BBC has the bias, which is why it has a dedicated section. BBC has a history of racist, anti-Indian surveys. You can check their news. I dont take them seriously.

Pew is a respected organisation at least for surveys, BBC is not. If you feel you are right try giving another source. I am sure its not the case. If you cant, I hope you change your opinion.

bipin

Dealing with Americans is much easier than dealing with several different countries in EU each running with its own agenda.
War is much more complicated affair than having leading defense companies. Russian will steam roll EU without American help.
Even their defense companies are dependent on US for majority of their business.
EU is nothing but German super state.

Sir, I find your statement to be incorrect. US is much bigger market compared to all of EU be it consumer or industrial goods.
One must not forget Europeans are the most racist people in the face of Earth. They will prefer to make loss but deal with their Europeans partner than deal with Asians and make profit.
Really? Dealing with Trump at the moment is harder than rest of G7 leaders.

War is complicated when you have another country who doesnt care about you defending your ass. And when that country asks for ransom. US has no interest in defending EU for EU's sake, it is in it for money, which is why it keeps asking for increasing defence spending. Only one country has benefited from this war and that is US.

In regards to market here are some figures :

http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/eu-position-in-world-trade/
https://www.citylab.com/life/2017/04/euro-vs-american-middle-class/524193/

According to above EU sees more activity and has larger middle class with more equitable income distribution to support it. You must provide any source to support your claim.

Your view about Europeans is outdated. If they were still fighting among themsleves EU would never have formed. Challenges remain much like India has and the reason there are challenges is because EU is cultually diverse land. Lastly about the racism you said, I hear more news about Indians getting lynched in US and Australia, not in EU. If you have proof - hard numbers, surveys please show it, otherwise you are just badmouthing 750 million people for no reason.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Only thing Germany needs from India and India needs from Germany is support for both getting into UNSC.

India Germany economic relationship is quite robust, not much required to be done there.

Earlier Britain used to our gateway into EUROPE, Whether Britain is being replaced by Germany needs to be seen. We can also choose another European country as our base, there are many countries who economy is Down.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Merkel was practically a CIA agent when Obama was around. But with Trump taking on all big interest groups, everything is in flux. Trump is not Putin friend, he is just asking a basic question. Why is USA fighting Russia while letting all its friends like Saudis, Japs, Chinese, Germans, Mexico destroy core of American Civilization? But me thinks, Trump will loose.

Reactions: Kay

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Only thing Germany needs from India and India needs from Germany is support for both getting into UNSC.

India Germany economic relationship is quite robust, not much required to be done there.

Earlier Britain used to our gateway into EUROPE, Whether Britain is being replaced by Germany needs to be seen. We can also choose another European country as our base, there are many countries who economy is Down.
I have to wonder, is UNSC such a big deal for a massive country like India?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Merkel was practically a CIA agent when Obama was around. But with Trump taking on all big interest groups, everything is in flux. Trump is not Putin friend, he is just asking a basic question. Why is USA fighting Russia while letting all its friends like Saudis, Japs, Chinese, Germans, Mexico destroy core of American Civilization? But me thinks, Trump will loose.
LOL Japanese ?

Care to elaborate,as Japan is having very Peaceful relationship with US after they tasted two Nukes.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
According to an early NATO commander, the purpose of NATO was to: Keep Russia out, the US in, and Germany down.

With statements like these from Germany, and Trump's PMS troubles, it looks to me like NATO is slowly going to disintegrate.

bipin

Correct me if I'm wrong.
To paraphrase your question is UNSC a big deal for P5 countries. Definitely.

Being huge country has its advantages, but whenever conflict arises you see the UN come into picture. P5 nations dominate the regional geopolitics, defend their allies and can coerce their opponents. For e.g. China keeps vetoing any resolutions against Pakistan. China has managed to annex SCS, without any military confrontation. China also kept India out of NSG, saying that only P5 countries can have nukes. China is using its P5 status to bully India.

Bottomline is if there is a non-military conflict, P5 nations have their way.

bipin

Is Germany trying to become to gain presidency of europen countires

I mean UK is already out of Europe

France all though powerhouse in terms of militray is now-where to challenge Germany in terms of fiancial power

Also Germany is trying to create pan europe level army if one believe below news

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/05/22/germany-is-quietly-building-a-european-army-under-its-command/
I wont say presidency because Europeans are neurotic with Germans being in command after 2 World Wars. But yes they will have significant role to play.

bipin

He said several times Putin is his friend. And shouldnt a person have some credibility, before asking that question. I dont believe a single word that comes out of his mouth. I mean he is being investigated for collusion with Russia. He could get impeached for firing FBI director Comey. Entire Trump family is the embodiment of nepotism. He is the one destroying the core values of American civilization.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
I wont say presidency because Europeans are neurotic with Germans being in command after 2 World Wars. But yes they will have significant role to play.
logically speaking the two links which your provided categorically states apart from UK or France none of other nato states contributes to Nato resources either through fiance or through other means , this includes Germany too and trump is right in asking them to do so

Past USA president had deliberately ignore it in order to make Europe depend upon NATO which in turn depend upon USA armed forces for its resources

Take latest Libyan war where american where`t involved militarily.But they still provided there militraly transport aircraft support as UK-France FC where not able to carry out there missions.had it not been american armed forces suppport UK-France would have never removed gaddif from libya

IF you take USA armed forces out of nato Europe wont be able to defened its newly conducted members which share boundary with russia .

If there is tension between this country and russia most would be looking towards american help rather then french-german-italy

bipin

logically speaking the two links which your provided categorically states apart from UK or France none of other nato states contributes to Nato resources either through fiance or through other means , this includes Germany too and trump is right in asking them to do so

Past USA president had deliberately ignore it in order to make Europe depend upon NATO which in turn depend upon USA armed forces for its resources

Take latest Libyan war where american where`t involved militarily.But they still provided there militraly transport aircraft support as UK-France FC where not able to carry out there missions.had it not been american armed forces suppport UK-France would have never removed gaddif from libya

IF you take USA armed forces out of nato Europe wont be able to defened its newly conducted members which share boundary with russia .

If there is tension between this country and russia most would be looking towards american help rather then french-german-italy
We know Europe cant defend itself without a pan-European army and there isnt one so NATO fits in.

NATO was a requirement for stability of Europe post WW2. European nations had weak economies and Soviet Union was the second wealthiest nation at least till before 1990. To protect themslves from Soviet they needed an alliance. NATO was created for this reason and prevented Soviet aggresion. Cold war was about USA vs Soviet with Europe at stake.

But now story has changed. Cold war is over. USA has won, but it does not want to leave. Many European countries are wealthier than Russia. Post disintegration Russia is the 13th largest economy. Despite having second largest army or defence spending for any country, it pales in comparison to EU states combined. The only thing that is missing is a dedicated EU army and now they have got one. US may not like it, but EU army is replacing NATO. If US pulls from NATO now, yes Russia may annex eastern states. But that will undo years of alliance and put an end to all trade between them. US cannot afford to lose so many allies. They have no option but to get replaced. Trump with his theatrics is catalysing the pace.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
We know Europe cant defend itself without a pan-European army and there isnt one so NATO fits in.

NATO was a requirement for stability of Europe post WW2. European nations had weak economies and Soviet Union was the second wealthiest nation at least till before 1990. To protect themslves from Soviet they needed an alliance. NATO was created for this reason and prevented Soviet aggresion. Cold war was about USA vs Soviet with Europe at stake.

But now story has changed. Cold war is over. USA has won, but it does not want to leave. Many European countries are wealthier than Russia. Post disintegration Russia is the 13th largest economy. Despite having second largest army or defence spending for any country, it pales in comparison to EU states combined. The only thing that is missing is a dedicated EU army and now they have got one. US may not like it, but EU army is replacing NATO. If US pulls from NATO now, yes Russia may annex eastern states. But that will undo years of alliance and put an end to all trade between them. US cannot afford to lose so many allies. They have no option but to get replaced. Trump with his theatrics is catalysing the pace.

Many european country may be wealither then russia but when it comes to Russia combined europe wont be able to take them without USA helps

As is said earlier this European countries could not threw out Gaddif from libya without US help where gaddif libya army was nothing in comaprsion to UK/french/germany armed forces and here we are taking that they would take on russian army

And you think USA would allow such europe army to become strong .Well if such situation arises USA would fist have pop-corn and allow europe-russia fight and would jump in war at last moment to emrge hero

no smoking

Country flag
Correct me if I'm wrong.
UNSC is a small group of elites from which those decisions influencing the whole world are made.
If you are a member of this group, then you can affect the decision making, even change the decision. These decisions don't only impact you, but everyone else. So this membership brings political power.
On the other hand, the political power will not only protect you, but also your friends. In order to buy your friendship, people is willing to pay big price.
It is like those rich men. When they become rich, they always want to spend lots money to put their men into government or parliament because they want to participate the decision making.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles