Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) Aircraft

Zebra

Country flag
Does that leverage calculation include Swedish FH 77B ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Bofors was the best at that time (from those willing to sell to us) and still is. Difference now is that it's part of BAE. So gives leverage. Its another matter now that they have decided to drop out of the arty tender.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
the navy after inducting 2nd hand uss lpd and admiral gorshkov(still being refurbished) has created a self image that countries like us is offering retiredmine countermeasure vessel,uk is offering retired harriers and now even sweden is offering these 2nd hand planes.it is really shameful.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
SAAB sold the same Aircraft to Pakistan and now wants to push us the same crud. We could understand if USA sells to Pakistan because its an old strategic ally coming to terms with the faltering of its relations with Pakistan, but SAAB(Sweden) must be the dumbest bloody thirsty scum bags to call themselves a neutral nation and sell the same stuff to both Pakistan and India!! I think Sweden has a very screwed up understanding of the word Neutral.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
SAAB sold the same Aircraft to Pakistan and now wants to push us the same crud. We could understand if USA sells to Pakistan because its an old strategic ally coming to terms with the faltering of its relations with Pakistan, but SAAB(Sweden) must be the dumbest bloody thirsty scum bags to call themselves a neutral nation and sell the same stuff to both Pakistan and India!! I think Sweden has a very screwed up understanding of the word Neutral.
It's plain business. We cannot expect them to look at everything from our PoV.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
It's plain business. We cannot expect them to look at everything from our PoV.
I know its business but they should not call themselves neutral nation and then sell weapons to both waring parties! They should has some dignity to not argue over such hypocrisy. Also we some leverage because we are the largest buyer so we must use that to our advantage if it means only business.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I know its business but they should not call themselves neutral nation and then sell weapons to both waring parties! They should has some dignity to not argue over such hypocrisy. Also we some leverage because we are the largest buyer so we must use that to our advantage if it means only business.
Selling to both warring parties is plain business. That does not violate their neutrality. If they participate in a war siding any one of the parties, that violates their principle of neutrality. What they are doing is plain business.
US,UK,France all have done it. Even the Russians.

lambu

Saab's MRMR version is being developed exclusively for India

The Saab Group is flying on the wings of a different platform in India these days. The Saab 2000 hopes to successfully land the Indian Navy's contract for a Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) aircraft. The Indian Navy had issued the request for information (RFI) for the MRMR late last year and early this year, revised the Qualitative Requirements a bit. The request for proposal (RFP) is expected to go out by the end of June 2011. At the moment, the navy is looking for six aircraft with the option of procuring six more. And Saab Group believes that it may have a winner in hand.

Talking to FORCE in early May, business development director, sales and marketing (aircraft services division), Saab, Tommy Hultin, was both confident and hopeful about Saab 2000 making the cut. "We do not only meet the requirements of the Indian Navy, we exceed them. What we are proposing is a platform and a system with a huge growth potential. The Saab 2000 Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) has the capacity and the flexibility of meeting the needs of the Indian Navy as they exist today and as they might be in the future," he says, by way of an impassioned introduction.

The Saab Group is flying on the wings of a different platform in India these days. The Saab 2000 hopes to successfully land the Indian Navy's contract for a Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) aircraft. The Indian Navy had issued the request for information (RFI) for the MRMR late last year and early this year, revised the Qualitative Requirements a bit. The request for proposal (RFP) is expected to go out by the end of June 2011. At the moment, the navy is looking for six aircraft with the option of procuring six more. And Saab Group believes that it may have a winner in hand.

Talking to FORCE in early May, business development director, sales and marketing (aircraft services division), Saab, Tommy Hultin, was both confident and hopeful about Saab 2000 making the cut. "We do not only meet the requirements of the Indian Navy, we exceed them. What we are proposing is a platform and a system with a huge growth potential. The Saab 2000 Maritime Patrol Aircraft (MPA) has the capacity and the flexibility of meeting the needs of the Indian Navy as they exist today and as they might be in the future," he says, by way of an impassioned introduction.

Developed in 1992, Saab 2000 entered service in 1994 as a regional aircraft. Since then, while the company has sold 60 units of the 2000 version which are flying worldwide in various configurations including one with the Pakistan Air Force as an AEW&C platform, 400 units of Saab 340 are currently operational. The MRMR version is being developed exclusively for India. To give the Indian Navy a flavour of what Saab 2000 is all about, the company flew down the aircraft to Bangalore in February 2011 during Aero India. Apart from a special flight for the media in which one of the FORCE correspondents flew, delegations from the Indian Navy and the Indian Coast Guard were taken on sorties too and according to Hultin, they were appreciative of the potential of the aircraft. Apart from the Indian Navy, Saab is also exploring the possibilities of bidding for IAF's tender for a transport aircraft and for the Indian Coast Guard's surveillance requirements.

FORCE-A Complete News Magazine on National Security-Defence Magazine,Indian Defence,AERO India 2011 Bangalore Bengaluru,magazine on Indian navy,Indian Army,Indian Air Force,Indian Paramilitary forces,Naxalism,Jammu & Kashmir,terrorism,national securi

agentperry

carrier based awac are mean machines and indicates desire of indian navy to play big role in future offense. these awacs are surely for offensive role in enemy waters and this shows that the new carriers will be used for assertion and not for show off

Neil

Country flag
navy can also use shore for these AWACS
YI...if IN wanted planes to operate from shores i would suggest phalcons only....at least it has awesome range and cover large parts...hawkeye with just 1 hour enduring power is a waste of money...rather go for a heli with better enduring power and range...

SHASH2K2

YI...if IN wanted planes to operate from shores i would suggest phalcons only....at least it has awesome range and cover large parts...hawkeye with just 1 hour enduring power is a waste of money...rather go for a heli with better enduring power and range...
I guess navy AEW wont be used just for detection of threats but will be used in offensive role as well in case of ships and subs. Phalcons are not designed for that purpose . they would like to go with P8i or something like that which has offensive capability as well.

Neil

Country flag
I guess navy AEW wont be used just for detection of threats but will be used in offensive role as well in case of ships and subs. Phalcons are not designed for that purpose . they would like to go with P8i or something like that which has offensive capability as well.
ya shash bhai...overlooked that...my bad
than in that case unless we have CATOBAR base carriers buying hawkeye is useless go for more P8I and KA51....what say...??

SHASH2K2

ya shash bhai...overlooked that...my bad
than in that case unless we have CATOBAR base carriers buying hawkeye is useless go for more P8I and KA51....what say...??
Agree with you . hawkeye is a good system and in some cases better than phalcon but wont be very useful for navy as per me. so p8i or some similar systems for the time being.

Neil

Country flag
Boeing to pitch 'diet' P-8 to Indian Navy

US defense major Boeing will be pitching a 'diet' version of the P-8 Poseidon aircraft in response to the Request for Information issued by the Indian Navy for Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) Aircraft, due by the end of the year, next week.

US defense major Boeing will be pitching a 'diet' version of the P-8 Poseidon aircraft in response to the Request for Information (RFI) issued by the Indian Navy for Medium Range Maritime Reconnaissance (MRMR) Aircraft, due by the end of the year, next week.

Boeing has already begun work on the first of eight P-8I Long Range Maritime Reconnaissance aircraft to be supplied to the Indian Navy, in a deal concluded in the beginning of 2009 at a cost of US $ 2.1 billion.

Company sources told StratPost that even though the derivative proposed for the MRMR RFI will look the same as the P-8I and be based on the 737 platform, it will have smaller tanks and a shorter range and will only have surface warfare capability. The P-8I is capable of both surface as well as sub-surface warfare.

The RFI also asks vendors if the aircraft can carry out electronic intelligence gathering and counter-measures, besides maritime patrol and search and rescue within an operational envelope of 350 nautical miles or almost 650 kilometers, as well as a patrol endurance of at least three and a half hours. It also specifies a requirement that the aircraft be capable of carrying at least two anti-ship missiles and a jamming pod.

As with the P-8I, the navy has specified in the RFI that certain pieces of equipment must be indigenous, like, IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) Interrogator with Secure Mode, MSS Terminal – BFE, Datalink and Speech Secrecy Equipment and vendors must indicate their commitment to integrate this equipment into the aircraft

Boeing to pitch 'diet' P-8 to Indian Navy | StratPost

p2prada

Agree with you . hawkeye is a good system and in some cases better than phalcon but wont be very useful for navy as per me. so p8i or some similar systems for the time being.
The Navy does not have anything that can see from the sky. P8 is meant for the surface and below.

Shore based AWACS with a long range is quite useful, especially one which can refuel mid air. E-2 is the best bet as both shore and carrier based.

The Navy rejected the first offer as the E-2 cannot be used from Gorky or IAC-1. I guess we may have plans for IAC-2 which allows CATOBAR. Nothing is known though.

Neil

Country flag
The Navy does not have anything that can see from the sky. P8 is meant for the surface and below.

Shore based AWACS with a long range is quite useful, especially one which can refuel mid air. E-2 is the best bet as both shore and carrier based.
sir ...if we have to go for a shore based aircraft which will u recommend... because i dont think for next 10 years we are seeing hawkeye...!!

SHASH2K2

The Navy rejected the first offer as the E-2 cannot be used from Gorky or IAC-1. I guess we may have plans for IAC-2 which allows CATOBAR. Nothing is known though.
p2p if thats the case why p81 diet is being offered. I have not received any news about E2 being offered for navy . Just curious because this is something new for me.

p2prada

sir ...if we have to go for a shore based aircraft which will u recommend... because i dont think for next 10 years we are seeing hawkeye...!!
Hawkeye is the best bet. The Israeli Eitam is the next one, but the Gulfstream G550 may not do very well in marine environment like the Hawkeye.

India can get the E-2D in 3 years after contract. But Eitam is a different beast as compared to E-2D. If they can make it good enough for marine environment, then we have a winner. Eitam will probably cost $500million a piece. E-2 may cost half that.

Not many options here.

p2p if thats the case why p81 diet is being offered. I have not received any news about E2 being offered for navy . Just curious because this is something new for me.
This is not an AEW like Hawkeye. This is a smaller version of the LRMR like P-8I. According to the above article, the diet version will kill only ships, not subs.

US clears sale.
http://defenceforumindia.com/indian-air-force/15096-hawkeye-e-2d-indian-navy-us-clears.html

RFI
AERO INDIA: Indian navy assesses E-2D for carrier based AEW missions

IN was offered a E-2 version which can fly off STOBAR platforms, but the endurance was reduced from 5 hours to 1.5 hours. Not worth the effort. So, IN declined.

We will know a lot about Naval MRCA deal and AEW deal next year. I guess the Navy is waiting for IAF deals to get over so budget can be divided properly. I think we will know very early next year. :)

Neil

Country flag
p2p sir...can u please tell me whats the difference between hawkeye and P8I...?? both hunt ships subs missiles....right...??

and if you are going for hawkeye for shore based version then why is even US opting for P8I instead of hawkeyes...??might have saved a fortune na...??

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles