McGeoch Technology wins deal to supply High Power LED to Indian navy

JAYRAM

2 STRIKE CORPS
Last updated at 13:54, Tuesday, 27 March 2012

AN Ulverston lighting firm has won a lucrative new contract with the Indian navy.

McGeoch Technology has been awarded a £250,000 contract to supply new hi-tech LED lighting to the Indian navy and coastguard.

An order for more than 1,000 lights has been received for a variety of LED light fittings developed by McGeoch, specifically to be used on two new-build vessels as well as several refit programs.

Announcing the contract, Dr Sohail Amer, chairman of McGeoch Technology, said: "The Indian navy has committed to widely introduce LED throughout its fleet and we are proud to have been selected as supplier of this key lighting technology to one of the world's fastest growing navies.

"For the past two years McGeoch has worked closely with the Indian navy to fully understand their requirements and meet their specific needs."

The order is expected to lead to further naval work for McGeoch, estimated at up to £1m.

The McGeoch company began life as a ship's chandler in Scotland in 1835.

Its headquarters are in Birmingham, with an outpost site at Daltongate Business Park, in Ulverston, opening in 2007 to take advantage of the LED skills base in the town.

North West Evening Mail | News | Firm wins deal to supply lights to Indian navy

....we can't even make lights...?......Or for 'pocket money'?.....:frusty::shocked:

sehwag1830

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Pure rubbish. I think Philips , Bajaj and khetan make it in India. This is pure corruption.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well India Can and does make LED Lighting, however i belive that this contract is for marine specific LED lighting that most firms do not make, simply put there is not a large enough market for the same in India Also the contract specifically talks about high tech LED'S i believe they may be referring to HPLED's(High power LED's) these were developed only in 2009 and are still in the process of technological development. i do not believe any firm in India makes HPLED's yet.

SPIEZ

Country flag
India is incapable of making LED lighting. Holy shit...:shocked:
Well said! Even (with the least possibility) if an Indian company does float the contract for the same, it will eventually be called low quality, not fit for the army.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Well India Can and does make LED Lighting, however i belive that this contract is for marine specific LED lighting that most firms do not make, simply put there is not a large enough market for the same in India Also the contract specifically talks about high tech LED'S i believe they may be referring to HPLED's(High power LED's) these were developed only in 2009 and are still in the process of technological development. i do not believe any firm in India makes HPLED's yet.
I can see your point..

I cant say other do or even understand..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In India Army Ambulance and other Vehicle inner lights are Led..

All the automobiles in India have Led lights in front also as in back light, Railways trafic also Road Trafic lights are LED..

Unless someone dying to rant around wont see this common thing around him :D

SPIEZ

Country flag
And they say the navy buys more indigenous pieces what a piece of crap. The order for the NAvy would have also brightened prospects of purchase HPLED in pvt sector as well

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

@BR,
Can you give some more info abt this development..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Found Something Interesting though..

Energy Focus LED products used to relight USS Chafee, the First Navy Ship to Receive a Complete LED Lighting Upgrade

SOLON Ohio, December 22, 2011 – Energy Focus, Inc. (OTC BB: EFOI.OB), a leader in providing LED energy efficient lighting solutions announced that it has provided more than 600 new light emitting diode (LED) lighting fixtures for installation on USS Chafee (DDG 90). The installation was performed during the ship's recently completed availability, providing the ship with longer-lasting lights that use less electric power than the replaced incandescent and fluorescent light fixtures. According to a recent Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA) press release, "The new fixtures have a minimum 50,000-hour lifespan compared to the 1,000-hour incandescent globes and 7,500-hour fluorescents. The ship is expected to save more than $50,000 per year using the new lights"¦ Savings are expected to exceed $100,000 per ship per year when the scope is expanded to include the T12 fluorescent fixtures "¦ In early 2012, USS Preble (DDG 88) is expected to receive the same fixtures, as well as LED bulb replacements for the ship's two-foot fluorescent fixtures, which are the most common lighting on DDG 51 class ships." (See url]www.navsea.navy.mil/Newswire2011/08DEC11-[/url]02.aspx for additional details.)

"The 600 LED fixtures Energy Focus provided include fixtures using our IntelliTubeâ„¢ single LED waveguide technology to replace fluorescent berth lights as well as a range of advanced LED globe lights to replace existing incandescent globe light fixtures," said
Roger Buelow, Energy Focus CTO. "Energy Focus has also received an order to provide its newly developed IntelliTubeâ„¢ replacement LED tubes to retrofit both the USS Chafee's and USS Preble T12 fluorescent fixtures, the second Navy ship to receive all new LED lighting. The cost savings are expected to be even greater since the fixture doesn't need to be replaced."
http://www.energyfocusinc.com/uploads/2011_1222Chafee_NAVSEA.pdf

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Though 1000 Lights For two Ships is not even 1/4 of total Lights used in a Single Ship..

It got to be HPLED

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
@BR,
Can you give some more info abt this development..
Well kunal the thing is almost all normal LED's use power in the range of tens of milliamperes compared to hundred's of milliamperes or even full ampere's in the case of HPLED'S. Also different from regular LED's is the fact that HPLED's reach very high temperatures Since overheating is destructive, the HPLEDs must be mounted on a heat sink to allow for heat dissipation.
for more you can read
Thermal management of high-power LEDs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you can also check out Cree inc at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cree_Inc.and at CREE | XLamp LEDs, leading the revolution in lighting
cree is a world leader in HPLED'S

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The lights are suppose to be used on ships not on port..

As it create to much heat it need a heat sink, those are Led street Lights :D

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles