Mastercard lodged U.S. protest over Modi's promotion of Indian card network RuPay

Advaidhya Tiwari

India should try to popularize RuPay Card to Africa, Afganistan and other countries.
It can be a great thing. May be this become big. (It's already a big, if Mastercard lodged a protest.)
But India's own popular Payment scheme in World would do great thing.
Rupay already has 50% of Indian debit card market share. This means that Rupay has more debit cards than all other debit cards combined. That is why MasterCard is complaining.

However, expanding to other regions like Africa, Afghanistan is far more difficult. These regions are unstable and can cause lot of problems. Airtel tried to set up mobile network in Africa and ended up in losses. Visa and mastercard have penetrated these countries thanks to USA presence and petrodollars. Otherwise, even big companies like Unionpay of China which is backed by Chinee govt, similar to Rupay, is unable to penetrate everywhere.

Rupay must first focus on credit card issuance instead of going to other countries. Without having credit card issuance in domestic market itself, it makes very little sense to expand outside

Pandeyji

Country flag
India should try to popularize RuPay Card to Africa, Afganistan and other countries.
It can be a great thing. May be this become big. (It's already a big, if Mastercard lodged a protest.)
But India's own popular Payment scheme in World would do great thing.
Even in other non-dependant markets such as Russia & Iran, the system could prove popular. It would also improve the image of INR making it more stable

avknight1408

Country flag

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Foreign companies complaining against their competition is normal thing, they do it pretty routinely within their own countries.

For me the lesson how a strong govt with a vision can stand against the foreign influence, I have no doubt if congis were in power they wouldn’t have let rupay expand like this.

The Juggernaut

Country flag
Foreign companies complaining against their competition is normal thing, they do it pretty routinely within their own countries.

For me the lesson how a strong govt with a vision can stand against the foreign influence, I have no doubt if congis were in power they wouldn’t have let rupay expand like this.
To be honest there will not be any Ru-pay payment Scheme.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles