Marine Assault Rifle of 7.62 x 51mm caliber IA RFI

AnantS

Country flag
What? They have not demanded self homing bullets with the same?

Twinblade

Country flag
Good move by the Army. Most of the soldiers I have talked to do not appreciate the 5.56 mm round. ARDE is already on to 7.62 mm LMG. They can also increase the size of MCIWS mag well to make it compatible with 7.62x51 Magazine, like Colt CM901 or go for a clean sheet design. Maybe even upscale the AKM for 7.62 NATO or go for a simpler design similar to upscaled Chinese Type 81 rifle, i.e. CS/LR14. There are only a handful of modern 7.62x51 rifles (that are not marksman rifles), SCAR-17, Galil ACE and HK417 being the cream of the crop.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
PDF link is not working.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk
REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI) FOR UNDERWATER ASSAULT RIFLE1.

The Indian Army is desirous of procuring an assault rifle of 7.62 x 51mm caliber that is capable of being carried under water in marine and water bodies along with its accessories and attachments and brought to operational use immediately after coming out of the water. The weapon should have military standard picatinny rails along with reflex / holographic sights, night / TI sights, IR lasers and tactical lights.

2. Vendors are requested to specify the details of the weapon offered by them alongwith the principle of operation, selector modes, magazine capacity, overall length, weight of weapon and accessories/attachment, muzzle velocity, accuracy standards, type of butt - whether foldable/ retractable and the additional accessories like suppressor, zeroing devices etc - available / offered with the weapon

3. Vendors desirous of supplying the weapon may furnish the following details:-(a) Details of the OEM / vendor to include the following:-(i) Details of the firm.(ii) Area of core competence.(iii) Product range.(b) Technical literature of their weapon to cover all aspects listed abovealong with all other additional features, physical and technical specifications, environmental standards etc.(c) Approximate indicative cost per piece.

4. Vendors are requested to confirm availability of a product envisaged as above and that they will respond to a request for proposal (RFP), if placed on them. Response to the RFI is solicited as under:-Director WE-8/9General Staff BranchRoom No 208G, South BlockIntegrated Headquarters of Ministry of Defence (Army) DHQ PO, New Delhi – 110 011

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well I think the Israeli ACE will be Chosen after some modification to it's magazine.

Zarvan

In order to plug a longstanding operational gap the Indian Army has re-launched its quest for an imported assault rifle after recently rejecting the locally designed option.

Military sources told IHS Jane’s that the army is readying a global request for information (RFI) for 7.62×51 mm assault rifles, instead of inducting the Excalibur 5.56×45 mm rifle designed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO).

The Excalibur is an upgraded version of the DRDO’s Indian Small Arms System (INSAS) 5.56×45 mm rifle, which entered service with the Indian Army in the mid-1990s, but was rejected in 2010 after being found ‘operationally inadequate’

http://idrw.org/indian-army-renews-quest-assault-rifle/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Looks like someone from idrw is following DFI...

Why is this news coming up again and again during the course of last month?

No point going into this again, we have already concluded that this was a Marine based RFI from 2014.

Zarvan

Looks like someone from idrw is following DFI...

Why is this news coming up again and again during the course of last month?

No point going into this again, we have already concluded that this was a Marine based RFI from 2014.
You didn't focused on the source it's not IDRW it's Jane

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
You didn't focused on the source it's not IDRW it's Jane
There was a article posted from TOI-let here on DFI last week. as a thumb rule we don't believe any news that comes from that media house.

if true, let the RFI come then it makes sense to go into further discussion.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Merged with original RFI thread, Continue debate here ..

charlie

Country flag
Good move by the Army. Most of the soldiers I have talked to do not appreciate the 5.56 mm round. ARDE is already on to 7.62 mm LMG. They can also increase the size of MCIWS mag well to make it compatible with 7.62x51 Magazine, like Colt CM901 or go for a clean sheet design. Maybe even upscale the AKM for 7.62 NATO or go for a simpler design similar to upscaled Chinese Type 81 rifle, i.e. CS/LR14. There are only a handful of modern 7.62x51 rifles (that are not marksman rifles), SCAR-17, Galil ACE and HK417 being the cream of the crop.
I always prefer .308 over 7.62x39, it is much more accurate at longer ranges then 7.62x39.

Well .308 is expensive and so is 7.62x51 (military surplus) as compared to 7.62x39.

I have seen .308 vs 7.62x51 discussion about how chamber pressure changes. but I didn't try to understand much.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles