Manga/Anime Thread

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Wasn't there an anime recently about Fighter Jets called Girly Air Force? Felt like it was shilling Gripens though. F-15s and Phantom II were also there.
Yes, the maneuver that were shown in the anime were over the top.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Nah dude. Heard good stuff about it tho. Season 2 not upto mark?
If you want to watch THE REAL ACTION COMEDY watch this.
If you are bored from repetitive avengers drama........ watch this.
The season first was so great that it has set standards for every anime.
EVERY BEST IN THE GAME CAME TO MAKE SEASON ONE.
I say watch it.
Season second"budget problem and not same director as season one".
Anime fans so blasted the second season that now only after episode 3 some good anime is coming but season one is it's own league.
HECK I CHALLENGE YOU SHOW ME ANY ANOTHER THIRTEEN EPISODE ANIME AS HIGH QUALITY AS ONE PUNCH MAN SEASON ONE.
You will not be able to find it, I bet.

ataru09

Country flag
If you want to watch THE REAL ACTION COMEDY watch this.
If you are bored from repetitive avengers drama........ watch this.
The season first was so great that it has set standards for every anime.
EVERY BEST IN THE GAME CAME TO MAKE SEASON ONE.
I say watch it.
Season second"budget problem and not same director as season one".
Anime fans so blasted the second season that now only after episode 3 some good anime is coming but season one is it's own league.
HECK I CHALLENGE YOU SHOW ME ANY ANOTHER THIRTEEN EPISODE ANIME AS HIGH QUALITY AS ONE PUNCH MAN SEASON ONE.
You will not be able to find it, I bet.
Oh shit. Now I gotta watch! I had heard about it though so definitely going to give a try.

Tanmay

Country flag
I am not into anime. But I came across this article
https://apekshanews.com/after-two-d...s-to-remain-a-landmark-in-the-epics-retelling

Films

After two decades, ‘Ramayana: The Legend of Prince Rama’, continues to remain a landmark in the epic’s retelling
Barnana Hemoprava SarkarJun 25, 20190

• MLA, Jitendra Tiwari had said, “Look if anyone takes Ram's name with bhakti, we don't have any problem. But if someone drinks alcohol and then chants Ram's name, we won't tolerate that." This is merely a segment of the immense politicizing that Hinduism as a religion has been going through, and only a few years back the Ayodhya crisis served as a the pinnacle point of no return for a religious belief which is now being transformed into a more politicized version called Hindutva. However, way before the present ruling parties began to shower their “devotion” for a religion followed by a majority in the country, almost two deacdes back in 1992, on the 40th anniversary of Indo-Japanese diplomatic relations two directors came forward to create one of the best renditions of the epic saga, Ramayana.

upload_2019-6-29_18-18-53.jpeg

The movie remained true to its roots. (IMDb)

While working on his 1983 documentary, ‘The Ramayana Relics’, a film about excavations by Dr. B.B.Lal, Japanese director Yugo Sako stumbled upon the idea of adapting the story of Ramayana in animation. Already versed in 10 different versions of the script in Japanese, he planned on not making a live-action movie, “Because Ram is God, I felt it was best to depict him in animation, rather than by an actor.” In his attempt to remain true to its roots, Sako met with several scholars, archaeologists, historians and started working on the film, and collaborated with Ram Mohan. The duo was soon joined by Krishna Shah who involved himself in the production process in 1993, and as the story began to merge for the taste of an international audience several parts of it were shrunk down, chiefly focusing on Ram’s quest into defeating Ravana.

As a new production studio, Nippon Ramayana Film Co. was set up, the team began to expand to include almost 450 artists working on board. Indians collaborated with the Japanese artists working on costume designs and traditional depiction of the historic era with rituals such as praying in joined hands and the relationship between father and son. While artists of two nations were working together in creating what is now considered the best animated movie in India, it wasn’t a work that did not have its own obstacles to face. The Indian Express misinterpreted ‘The Ramayana Relics’ which was a documentary as Sako’s attempt to create a new Ramayana.

However, nothing surpasses the fact that this movie was being made in the same year when Vishva Hindu Parishad and allied organisations demolished the 16th Century Babri Masjid in Ayodhya, Uttar Pradesh. It was also the same Vishva Hindu Parishad who sent a protest letter to the Japanese Embassy in Delhi claiming that no foreigners are allowed to cinematise Ramayana which is considered one of the religious texts of the Hindus. In order to keep all such misconceptions at bay, Sako suggested the idea of making an animated movie which is a serious form of art in Japan, although in India till today it is considered a children's play. Although the proposal was initially accepted, the government nevertheless denied the idea claiming that Ramayana was a much more sensitive topic and it should be portrayed as a cartoon. This compelled the entire project to be shifted to Japan with replacing all 450 artists, both Indian and Japanese as they got together to create the best onscreen production of the Ramayana.

What came out was nothing short of a retelling of the epic, with merely snippets of it missing, such as we do not see Hanuman being brought down by Bharat when he travels back to Lanka with Mt. Dronagiri in order to save a wounded Lakhshman. During an online interview, Mohan himself opened up about the obstacles the movie had to face due to the conservative nature of people. “He [Sako] wanted to do it as a co-production with Indian involvement because he wanted things to be authentic. The government of India told us that Ramayana is a very sensitive subject and cannot be depicted as a cartoon character. We tried to insist to them but they didn’t understand. In Tokyo, I used to go and supervise the designs, gestures and performances. For example they didn’t quite know how the dhoti was worn. They used to draw it like pajamas. So we had one gentleman actually demonstrating how to wear a dhoti...the telling of the story was simplified to a great extent. Because we also wanted even international audiences to understand and appreciate what has happened.”

upload_2019-6-29_18-18-53.jpeg

It could have changed the course of animation in India. (IMDb)

Unfortunately, the movie never released in theatres but it was released to a global audience. Under the title of ‘The Warrior Prince’, it was the opening film of the 2000 Lucca Animation Film Festival in Italy, a highlight of the Cardiff Animation Film Festival in the United Kingdom and won Best Animation Film of the Year at the 2000 Santa Clarita International Film Festival in the United States. Perhaps had India truly looked into art and not at its conservative ideals, maybe this movie would have changed the course of Indian animation entirely.

I watched this 15 years as a child ago but never knew this Japaese connection(Its shown in starting credits though). amazing work

Attachments

Brimstone

Spotter
Country flag
I didn't know we had an Otaku community here on DFI
Well I am glad. Any One Piece fans in the house (manga not anime) ?

S.A.T.A

VHP'S objection to adapting Ramayana to the screen is bizarre. Indian celluloid has seen hundreds of on screen adaptations of the epic, not to mention the popular TV adaptation which coincided with the Ram janmabhoomi movement. The VHP is supposed to be the international wing of the Sangh, so their objection to foreigner dramatizing the epic is perplexing. Surely they are aware the epic is extremely popular in countries like Thailand, Cambodia and other parts of South East Asia and have been dramatized in movies and televisions there.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
VHP'S objection to adapting Ramayana to the screen is bizarre. Indian celluloid has seen hundreds of on screen adaptations of the epic, not to mention the popular TV adaptation which coincided with the Ram janmabhoomi movement. The VHP is supposed to be the international wing of the Sangh, so their objection to foreigner dramatizing the epic is perplexing. Surely they are aware the epic is extremely popular in countries like Thailand, Cambodia and other parts of South East Asia and have been dramatized in movies and televisions there.
It was a conundrum of misinformation actually.
Anime isn't seen in a decent light in most of the society it's still not a mainstream form of entertainment. Older generation considers it a cartoon infact it isn't even perceived in a positive light by most of modern youth.
So a godly image associated with this amateurish and childish stuff might seem a little off putting for then VHP.

And consider this VHP at that time was a massive fuck up with no base ideology or Goals, it was very different from now VHP.

Tho Anime has been appreciated by right wing and it's working well.

See Hindu Nationalist anime girls

S.A.T.A

It was a conundrum of misinformation actually.
Anime isn't seen in a decent light in most of the society it's still not a mainstream form of entertainment. Older generation considers it a cartoon infact it isn't even perceived in a positive light by most of modern youth.
So a godly image associated with this amateurish and childish stuff might seem a little off putting for then VHP.

And consider this VHP at that time was a massive fuck up with no base ideology or Goals, it was very different from now VHP.

Tho Anime has been appreciated by right wing and it's working well.

See Hindu Nationalist anime girls
Could be true and I'm not aware of the exact backdrop to the objection by the VHP, but since the article suggested VHP objected to foreigners making a movie on epics, this was surprising. Even in the comic book format, how many of us haven't read Ramayana and the mahabharata from the Amar Chitra Katha series. In fact for many of us growing up in the 80's, ACK was our first introduction to the epics and the stories of the Puranas.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
I didn't know we had an Otaku community here on DFI
Well I am glad. Any One Piece fans in the house (manga not anime) ?
For me KOCHIKAME FOR LIFE AS WELL AS ONE PUNCH MAN.
THOUGH one piece is in it's own league.
LEGEND series.

Brimstone

Spotter
Country flag
For me KOCHIKAME FOR LIFE AS WELL AS ONE PUNCH MAN.
THOUGH one piece is in it's own league.
LEGEND series.
Kochikame is a long running series. Never read it but my younger brother used to watch it on Hungama. Is it still going ?
And One Punch Man's artwork is beyond amazing. I am going to collect the entire series one day.

Aaj ka hero

Has left
Banned
Country flag
Kochikame is a long running series. Never read it but my younger brother used to watch it on Hungama. Is it still going ?
And One Punch Man's artwork is beyond amazing. I am going to collect the entire series one day.
Kochikame has ended in 2015. It was the longest running shonen manga, it's ending bought HUGE EMOTIONS FROM THE NATION OF JAPAN similar thing will happen whenever one piece will end I think so.
One punch man is hit because each and every character is unique in it's own like kochikame heck I say even more than kochikame.
It has every potential to become legend of OUR GENERATION.
You know 80s had dragonball.
90s had evangelion (I hate this series though).
00s had one piece, naruto and bleach trioka.
10s have many Mangas that will become legend.
But ONE PUNCH MAN I think will become something more than that and big thanks for that goes to ONE and more importantly YUSUKE MURATA.

Cheran

Country flag
1. Desert Punk
2. Princess Mononoke
3. My Neighbor Totoro
4. Spirited Away
5. Claymore
6. Terraformars

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Recently came across this seinen psychological manga called Chi no Wadachi a.k.a. A trail of blood

Its about an obsessive mother. The art is really really good, portrayal of emotions is especially effective.
The mother is damn scary. And the poor protagonist is confused and terrified:-

An example of just how terrifying his mother is:-

What's scarier is that usually she looks normal and even beautiful. But sometimes, she just cracks. And the artwork captures that transition rather well. But its not just about how this woman looks. Its how she thinks and acts is what is really terrifying. The protagonist is actually a mentally healthy kid initially, even loves his mom like a normal child would. But then his mom does something really fckd up and the trauma of that event causes this kid to develop a speech impediment.

Yet to finish this manga, but its getting wild right now. Thought I'd share for seinen manga lovers.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles