Man suspected to be ULFA chief held in Dacca!

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
Man suspected to be ULFA chief held in Dacca

New Delhi: Authorities in Bangladesh have arrested a man who they suspect is Paresh Baruah, commander-in-chief of the banned United Liberation Front of Asom separatist group.
Sources tells CNN-IBN the suspect, who was arrested in Dacca, carried a passport that identified him as Samshul Alam of Sylhet district of Bangladesh.
The arrest is the result of a crackdown launched by Bangladesh prime minister Sheikh Hasina on terrorist groups operating from Bangladesh.
Two former top officers of the country's National Security Intelligence were arrested in May for allegedly helping ULFA.
Man suspected to be ULFA chief held in Dacca

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
We need to keep a watch on this story.

It could be really important for the NE region.

EnlightenedMonk

Member of The Month JULY 2009
Good, but now the whole extradition procedure has to start if indeed this fellow is who they think he is... India has to produce irrefutable evidence and not screw up like the Quatrocchi case...

And, I'm sure there will be trouble in Bangladeshi circles if this is true, I'm sure madame Zia will start crying hoarse and Pakistan will start pulling strings from behind to try and get this fellow to escape or to topple the Hasina government...

EnlightenedMonk

And, also lets not underestimate the role that China could play in this case... they have an inherent interest in keeping India engaged in the North East and they could also try and use their contacts to cause trouble... because, if this fellow falls then the whole ULFA could unravel and their position be seriously undermined...

So, China could also play spoilsport and do stuff here... and, they have to try and keep Bangladesh on their side because it is a very important pearl in the String of Pearls theory...

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Just one Brahmos on the place where he is being held should do the trick. :(( :2guns::2guns:

Bobby Deol ishtyle: "No FIR no Report. Faisla on the spot."

EnlightenedMonk

Just one Brahmos on the place where he is being held should do the trick. :(( :2guns::2guns:
Yes, but that will go down wrongly with the Bangladeshi public... they will think that India is trying to play Big brother again and that may increase hostility against us in the country...

Let's follow all legal avenues to try and get this fellow extradited, we are in an advantageous position since Sheikh Hasina is friendly toward India and we should not face any significant problems in getting the guy extradited... the situation would have been different if Khaleeda Zia was in power in which case we would have had to do some armtwisting before the fellow was extradited...

In fact, if it was Zia, I'm sure she would not have initiated any crackdown and so the fellow would not have been arrested in the first place :D

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Yes, but that will go down wrongly with the Bangladeshi public... they will think that India is trying to play Big brother again and that may increase hostility against us in the country...

Let's follow all legal avenues to try and get this fellow extradited, we are in an advantageous position since Sheikh Hasina is friendly toward India and we should not face any significant problems in getting the guy freed... the situation would have been different if Khaleeda Zia was in power in which case we would have had to do some armtwisting before the fellow was extradited...

In fact, if it was Zia, I'm sure she would not have initiated any crackdown and so the fellow would not have been arrested in the first place :D
And then, more drama like we are having in the Kasab trial?:(( Laughs at the judge, his lawyer says he is underage, then says that the little girl who testified last week is lying? :(:)((
Why waste so much of taxpayers money on their security and trial?

EnlightenedMonk

And then, more drama like we are having in the Kasab trial?:(( Laughs at the judge, his lawyer says he is underage, then says that the little girl who testified last week is lying? :(:)((
Because that is what civilised nations do.

And, Bangladesh is a very critical nation and we have to wrest it away from the Chinese because their String of Pearls depends on Bangladesh and Pakistan supporting them, if you remove even one of them the whole necklace breaks apart... so, its very important that we keep them in confidence...

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
I think Bangladesh arresting him and the news being in the public domain is significant.

We have a friendly government in BD, its as good a time as any to take out ULFA and the other sundry small gangs. No political process for them this time.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
And then, more drama like we are having in the Kasab trial? Laughs at the judge, his lawyer says he is underage, then says that the little girl who testified last week is lying?
qasab is a Bitch i wish i could get my hands on that bastard i would rip him in to shreads and give his meat to the valtuers

(sorry for going Off Topic )

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
Lol send him to Tihar his preferences will change

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
^^ Are you suggesting he won't be straight after a few days spent there?

Nawabi shok (नवाबी शोक )?

johnee

Because that is what civilised nations do
This hypocrisy wont do us any good. No nation in the world can afford to be 'civilised' in the face of such hostilities. The 'leader of free world' has no probs in resorting to Guntanamo Bay, Why are we still stuck with this 'civilised nation' crap? Survival is more important.....and dont mistake this is war of survival.

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
I admir the yankees in that aspect you thouch at least a dozen of their People they will make you repent that decision

Member of The Month SEPTEMBER 2009
^^ Are you suggesting he won't be straight after a few days spent there?

Nawabi shok (नवाबी शोक )?
Man the inmates in Tihar really hate terrorists ,rapists etc.
He wouldn't be there a second before he's given it up his.......

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
That's what "नवाबी शोक" means. He will develop it in no time and then can't live without it ever.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
That's a fake news as per my source. Expect nothing more from this masala media.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
May be. Saw nothing in today's morning paper!

Arjak

Respected Member
Country flag
yes,i think payeng is correct..........i had a chat with one of my bd friends,he also said the news is fake

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Buzz and denial on Ulfa boss arrest

New Delhi, June 14: Reports of a late-night arrest in Dhaka set off speculation that Ulfa chief Paresh Barua had been taken into custody, but sources here said India was waiting for a photograph to arrive for verification.

Bangladesh police today dismissed reports of Barua’s arrest in that country’s media as “rubbish”. Officials in Delhi, however, said that even if Barua were arrested, they would not expect Dhaka to confirm the news so soon.

Intelligence sources here said they hoped to receive a photograph of the arrested man, which would be compared with pictures of Barua in the possession of RAW and military intelligence.

“(If the reports are found true), we will request extradition although we do not have an extradition treaty with Dhaka,” a home ministry official said. There have been mistaken claims in the past of Barua’s death or arrest.

According to unconfirmed reports from Dhaka, Barua was picked up from the city’s Uttara area around 1am today, carrying a passport that had his photograph but gave his name as Shamsul Hussain. Assam police’s database says Barua, who fled to Bangladesh in 1990, has been living there under various aliases, including Kamruj Zaman Khan.

The reports said Barua was picked up with five others — Pradip Brahma, Partha Chetia, Kantilal Chakma, Shyam Dev Barman and Prashant Pahari.

The Telegraph - Calcutta (Kolkata) | Nation | Buzz and denial on Ulfa boss arrest

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles