Maldives Crisis: News & Discussion

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is time to act before it is too late.

Now that the UP elections are nearly over, can we shed our Lambert the Sheepish Lion image?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I am sure those who are inflamed that the Babri Mazjid has been demolished will also speak up for the razing of idols of other religions?

Or won't they?

Param

Our Diplomacy has failed. On one side, we want permanent membership in U.N.S.C but on other hand, After failing in Countries like Myanmar, Sri Lanka, even Nepal. Now failing in Maldives too. Make no mistake, BD is with us until AL is in power. Recent Military coup is also alarming there.

This is serious issue and we need to take some aggressive and active steps on International stage specially in neighboring countries otherwise we have to sing the song "Ekla Chalo Re"
:rofl::pound: A sardarji is in power not Bongs.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
A sardarji is supposed to be a Lion!

Galaxy

Country flag
:rofl::pound: A sardarji is in power not Bongs.
He is not a Sardar. He is a shameful person who doesn't speak, doesn't do anything. Neither hear anything nor see anything. A person without balls. Anyone would be better. Sardars are not like that AFAIK.

May be, Pranav da would be better. At least, he speaks...... :cool2:

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
He is not a Sardar. He is a shameful person who doesn't speak, doesn't do anything. Neither hear anything nor see anything. A person without balls. Anyone would be better. Sardars are not like that AFAIK.

May be, Pranav da would be better. At least, he speaks...... :cool2:
His mute face yells "I am sorry, I am a puppet"

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Hindu images razed in Maldives museum

Feb 15, 2012

COLOMBO: The Maldives' national museum reopened on Tuesday without some of its most valuable exhibits a week after a mob of suspected religious extremists smashed images from the pre-Islamic era of this Indian Ocean archipelago.

About 35 exhibits, mostly images of Buddha and Hindu gods, were destroyed in the attack. Some of the artifacts dated back to the sixth century, museum director Ali Waheed said.

Waheed says 99% of the Maldives' pre-Islamic artifacts from before the 12th century, when most inhabitants were Buddhists or Hindus , were destroyed.

"Some of the pieces can be put together but mostly they are made of sandstone, coral and limestone, and they are reduced to powder," he said. The mob of suspected Muslim extremists attacked the museum during the Maldives' unfolding political crisis.

The country has seen weeks of protests and last week president Mohamed Nasheed stepped down.

The attack was the latest blow to the island nation that is best known as a high-end tourist destination.

Hindu images razed in Maldives museum - The Times of India
VERY SHAMEFUL ACT from extremists who want to turn the peaceful Island into Terror Island ......seems like it's only when a Islamic structure is destroyed there is widespread hue and cry and even riots but when structures of other religions are destroyed nothing is done.So Maldives is on it'sway to Afghanistan/Pakistan where they are hell bent on destroying their history just because it relates to other religion.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
The filthy scumbags have the audacity to destroy Buddhist and Hindu artifacts of pre-Islamic age. We should have colonized Maldives with brute force and not let the Arabs spread their xenophobic ideology there. Our big mistake. Maldives in my eyes has become the second Afghanistan now. The filthy sheikh-wannabe jokers must be taught a lesson they won't forget.

Enough of this crap. These Abrahamic fanatics have turned Dharmic faiths' tolerance into a joke. Anyone comes and razes our stuff just because we tolerate such shyte. If we had any decency, we should have militarily intervened to settle this new wahabi lunatic's attitude. If I was in 2 minds earlier, now I am clear.

Totally regret my visits to that stupid wahhabi nation. :tsk:

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
VERY SHAMEFUL ACT from extremists who want to turn the peaceful Island into Terror Island ......seems like it's only when a Islamic structure is destroyed there is widespread hue and cry and even riots but when structures of other religions are destroyed nothing is done.So Maldives is on it'sway to Afghanistan/Pakistan where they are hell bent on destroying their history just because it relates to other religion.
Maldivian Islam is very violent dude. Not very different from rest of its organized religion brethren but it was never peaceful. We think it is peaceful because the island paradise image that country has. Just go there for a visit and mingle with the crowd. You will know how "peaceful" they are.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I thought its a Islamic country since inception
No.... Maldives is another result of our centuries of cultural neglect, pride and lack of self-respect that we didn't maintain Dharmic path there through retaining power and hold on the islands on which organized and violent religions capitalized.

Tshering22

Sikkimese Saber
Country flag
I am sure those who are inflamed that the Babri Mazjid has been demolished will also speak up for the razing of idols of other religions?

Or won't they?
You expect secularists to talk for Dharmic communities? :lol: Good one.

Ever heard a fence sitting jackal showing loyalty to anyone? :D

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I don't understand Dharmic issues but I understand issues that affect me.

I understand being fair and just.

Therefore, I expect those who have made capital over the demolishing of Mosques should also show some equally vociferous rage!

anoop_mig25

Country flag
now i am sure we have pathetic intelligence agency or it was caught off-guard. no wonder foreign terrorist sleepers cells continue to strike india and our home minster comes says in press conference and that to one day late that terrorist were intelligent and blah blah ........

bloody hell we know in first place itself when

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Yes, But it was moderate, Democratic, Pro-India, Anti-Wahhabi. But recent coup changed a lot.
It was never moderate, pro-India yes, but not moderate. Some of their laws are worse than Pakistan. For starters, Islam is the state religon. if you convert then you lose your citizenship

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Hindu images razed in Maldives museum

Feb 15, 2012

COLOMBO: The Maldives' national museum reopened on Tuesday without some of its most valuable exhibits a week after a mob of suspected religious extremists smashed images from the pre-Islamic era of this Indian Ocean archipelago.

About 35 exhibits, mostly images of Buddha and Hindu gods, were destroyed in the attack. Some of the artifacts dated back to the sixth century, museum director Ali Waheed said.

Waheed says 99% of the Maldives' pre-Islamic artifacts from before the 12th century, when most inhabitants were Buddhists or Hindus , were destroyed.

"Some of the pieces can be put together but mostly they are made of sandstone, coral and limestone, and they are reduced to powder," he said. The mob of suspected Muslim extremists attacked the museum during the Maldives' unfolding political crisis.

The country has seen weeks of protests and last week president Mohamed Nasheed stepped down.

The attack was the latest blow to the island nation that is best known as a high-end tourist destination.

Hindu images razed in Maldives museum - The Times of India
Here we go with the crazies.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
India rushes foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai to Maldives to push for political deal

NEW DELHI: Amid concerns that New Delhi may have dropped the ball on the Maldives, India dispatched foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai to Male on Wednesday to try to stabilize the situation in the country. His brief is to attempt to work out a political solution to the crisis that refuses to die down.

Mathai's visit comes ahead of a huge rally by Nasheed slated for February 17 in Male, that sources said, is aimed at an international audience. The rally will coincide with a visit to the island nation by the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group (CMAG), which is coming in to assess the change of power.

Mathai's brief is to talk to Nasheed before the rally, to explain to him the Indian approach and work out a way forward that restores stability in the Maldives. Mathai will also meet the new president Waheed, to caution him that India would not appreciate it if there was any crackdown on the Nasheed rally, or any attempt to arrest Nasheed.

Mathai's visit comes after Ganapathi, secretary (west) in the MEA, went there last week to forge a compromise between the government of Waheed Hassan and Nasheed, who has gone back to being an activist and been pushing for snap polls. The Indian effort made no headway in defusing the internal tensions, which has necessitated the Indian government stepping up its involvement in the country.

On a wider level, India's high level presence is expected to signal that India will take whatever steps are necessary to ensure peace and stability in the Maldives. After the Indian government recognized the Waheed government, most other countries have taken a similar line. All except the UK that continues to back Nasheed. As president, Nasheed had several British advisers, including on climate change.

The Indian initiative became important after former president Nasheed made statements that seemed to suggest that the political crisis in the Maldives had a larger dimension, including a possible geopolitical competition with China. The continuing turmoil in the Maldives has made it a ground for political players from many other countries to arrive there for a foothold.

Mathai, who travelled in a special flight to Male, is expected to hold discussions with all the political leaders, including Nasheed and Waheed. India lost leverage in the Maldives when it rushed to legitimize the new government of Waheed within 24 hours. Sources said, India should have expected that Nasheed, who has been an ardent activist, was unlikely to go quietly and New Delhi could have worked with both sides to achieve a political outcome.

Since the moment Nasheed declared that he had been overthrown in a coup - about 24 hours late - the ground situation took a dramatically different turn. Nasheed has made himself out to be the injured party; including hinting that there could be a Chinese angle to the current crisis. In an interview, he said the Malvidian National Defence Forces (MND) was asking him to sign a defence deal with China which he apparently resisted. This claim, which he believes puts him back in the Indian "camp", came after he expressed disappointment with New Delhi's decision to back the Waheed government.

Government sources here said that the situation in the Maldives had been building up for many months, which led to the "coup" on February 7. Indian officials said privately that in the past year, the government had often advised Nasheed to take a different, more consensual approach with his political opponents who had been increasing.

On the China "threat", sources said former president Gayoom had refused to sign a defence agreement with India or any other country. To that extent, Nasheed had gone very far to sign a far-reaching security agreement with India. The Maldivian defence forces are allowed total access to the Indian defence forces, they said, and would not want to jeopardize that, by agreeing to a Chinese defence offer.

Nasheed has indicated that India might lose leverage in the Maldives to China. Given that the Indian strategic establishment is jittery about Chinese increasing its sphere of influence in countries around India, and public opinion back home could be critical of the government, it was felt necessary to dispatch Mathai to work out a solution there.

The Waheed government and India agree on two important things. First that the February 7 events were not a coup and that the situation in the Maldives had to stabilize before elections are called. Nasheed, on the other hand, wants elections right now. India will also have to manage a new reality: Nasheed, who as a president said he was a friend of India, could now be on the other side.

Diplomatic sources, however, said India continued to be good friends with both Nasheed and the new regime. "Our policy is not party-centric or people-centric. We continue to remain friends with both. We have been engaging with both sides," a source said.

India rushes foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai to Maldives to push for political deal - The Times of India
The UP elections votes are in the box.

India shows its usual 'alacrity'!

Such a pathetic Govt we have!

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I dont think up voter cares about maldives or to be more precise have even heard of it.

This is case of general ineptness from govt like they have always been.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I dont think up voter cares about maldives or to be more precise have even heard of it.

This is case of general ineptness from govt like they have always been.
I don't think that voters are as stupid as they are taken to be.

The Govt is inept of that there is no doubt, but they also are gripped by fear of how the worm will turn.

That is why they ascribe and superimpose their fears as the reaction of the voters!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles