Make a wish foundation helps 15 year old become soldier of Pak Army for a day

Zaki

Country flag

Dated: August 14, 2010
Rawalpindi - August 14, 2010 :
On the 63rd Independence day Master Abdul Basit a 15 year old boy made a history to become soldier of Pakistan Army for a day. The young, patriotic lad, who is suffering from blood cancer had expressed his desire to Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani through an NGO "Make A Wish Foundation" that he wanted to be soldier of Pakistan Army, may be for a day. Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani took special interest and allowed the child to become a soldier for a day and spend time in a unit on the Independence Day of Pakistan.

Master Abdul Basit, though very weak and fragile, because of his ailment put on the uniform like a professional soldier and reported to unit of Punjab Regiment at Malir Cantt Karachi. The young soldier was warmly welcomed at the unit. Later, Master Abdul Basit spent a busy day with officers and men of his unit.

Master Abdul Basit after a day's work with soldiers said that his life time dream to join Pakistan Army has come true and he cherished every minute spent with the soldiers.

Master Basit, 15 years old boy who is suffering from blood cancer, coming to join an army unit at Malir Cantt Karachi for a day. Master Basit desired to become a soldier of Pakistan Army. He has been permitted by Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez kayani to become a soldier of Pakistan army for a day. (14-8-2010) – Photo ISPR

Master Basit, 15 years old boy, who is suffering from blood caner, became a soldier of Pakistan Army for one day. He is saluting the national flag alongwith other unit officers at Karachi. Master Basit desired to become a soldier of Pakistan army may be for one day. To fulfill the dream of young Basit, COAS General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani permitted Master Basit to become a soldier of Pakistan Army for one day. (14-8-2010) – Photo ISPR

Major General Asfand Yar Patodi, General Officer Commanding presenting souvenir to Master Basit who became soldier of Pakistan Army for one day. Master Basit is suffering from blood cancer and he desired to become a soldier of Pakistan Army may be for one day. COAS, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani permitted Master Basit to become soldier in Pakistan Army for a day. (14-8-2010) – Photo ISPR

Zaki

Country flag
funny thing is you guyz did not even read the news and giving lectures like geniuses :lol:
This guy has a cancer, he will not need to fire anything. He is serving army just for one day

Please wake up and read the news again

BloodRed

Such gestures look good on humanitarian grounds but degrades the prestige of any army

Tomorrow another terminally ill person will want to become chief of army, will he be allowed to become one?

Agantrope

funny thing is you guyz did not even read the news and giving lectures like geniuses :lol:
This guy has a cancer, he will not need to fire anything. He is serving army just for one day

Come on man, this things will one degrade any armies image, i am suffering from asthma and i want my residence as well as office in the South Block for a week, will they accept, come on man.

gogbot

Such gestures look good on humanitarian grounds but degrades the prestige of any army

Tomorrow another terminally ill person will want to become chief of army, will he be allowed to become one?
Come on man, this things will one degrade any armies image, i am suffering from asthma and i want my residence as well as office in the South Block for a week, will they accept, come on man.
This was arranged by the NPO "Make a Wish foundation"
I am sure you would have heard it, They are a charity that try and grant Terminally ill children one wish(with in their power) before they die.

If this kid wanted to join the Army , it was gracious of the Army to let it happen if only for a day.

I don't see how old he is factors into this ,
Or how it can possible degrade the "supposed Image" of the Pak army.

Just to try to remember guy's, this is not a political story or a defense story , but a human story about a Kid getting his last wish.

Which however beg's the obvious question , what is it doing in the Defence section ?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

thanks for the post, but your title of thread is misleading.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
In my opinion this reflects highly upon Pakistan Army and its Chief.

Nobody made him an Army Chief, and celebrities in India are routinely given honorary ranks in the armed forces.

In fact this a wonderful gesture from PA and will only boost PA's image and more Pakistanis will be inspired to join this institution.

If you are a terminal ill child and if have just one wish that is to spend a day in South Block, I can arrange that for you.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I too think that it was a great gesture. Yes we are always looking at what the PA does through the lens of scepticism and hatred, but this thing is something different. A small boy making a wish to join the army before he dies and it being granted is a good thing. It will inspire young kids who are fit to join the armed forces. Only hope is that when these kids join, they are not brainwashed in their unwarranted hatred towards india and may be they mend the way PA works in the future.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
This is really a good gesture by the Army Chief, and Make a Wish Foundation is really a Great Organisation. They are doing a really great job all around the world! Hope the Boy recovers!

Rebelkid

people...read the article....lol

very good gesture by the army

BloodRed

Nobody made him an Army Chief, and celebrities in India are routinely given honorary ranks in the armed forces.
Dude dont jump the gun, i know he was not made the army chief.

The celebrities you are refering to like kapil dev and mohanlal are given honorary ranks in Territorial Army NOT Indian army, big difference.

Territorial army is meant to be staffed by civilians unlike the professional IA.

In fact this a wonderful gesture from PA and will only boost PA's image and more Pakistanis will be inspired to join this institution.
How? A professional army should never allow its ranks to be staffed by unfit people, even for a day. It's a good humanitarian gesture but armies are not raised to fulfill wishes of children, In this case a little bit of counselling to the kid should have been used to make him realize the reality of life.

Zaki

Country flag
Sorry for the wrong/misleading title and may be the wrong section too. Thats one of the disadvantageous of copy n paste..... lol
How? A professional army should never allow its ranks to be staffed by unfit people, even for a day. It's a good humanitarian gesture but armies are not raised to fulfill wishes of children, In this case a little bit of counselling to the kid should have been used to make him realize the reality of life.
Sir, he is not serving the army for the whole life. He is serving just for one day. You are neglecting the better side of the picture and only countering the negative part. Sir you are saying he is not fit to serve the nation but he already did yesterday!. He was not appointed for the rest of his life but only for a day. He already served the nation quite well and I don't see any weak thing happening after the inclusion of this Young officer. IMO These things does not leave any positive or negative impact on the army itself but boost the moral of the children's and inspire them to join this field too and also boost the image of the army to its public upto certain extents. Like the seniors mentioned above... This thread has nothing to do with Defence or politics it is all about humanity and the desire of a child suffering from the cancer. Comparing **** sizes is always not a good idea i guess

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Counselling for a Kid who is making eye contact with Death?? Bloodred, that was just a tad too much to digest. Giving the Kid a pair of Uniform and an insignia and walking him around the daily happenings of the Military Station wont make the Army look Unprofessional. If thats the Case, then Salman Khan, Hrithik Roshan and all entertaining the Army, Navy or Airforce will make them Unprofessional and "Soft" as they are not supposed to be so!!!!

BloodRed

Great here goes another forum where members dont read other people's posts and shot their mouth off for being different from the approved line.

>>Zaki "Sir you are saying he is not fit to serve the nation but he already did yesterday!"

Really? Walking around in army uniform equals serving the nation. This is getting sillier and sillier.

Hey go ahead induct any terminally ill kid that wants to join army, making him happy is all that is needed.

@ahmedsid, salman, hritik or any other filmstar entertaining the army is NOT the same as inducting a sick child into the army, I'm surprised you cant see the difference?

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Great here goes another forum where members dont read other people's posts and shot their mouth off for being different from the approved line.

>>Zaki "Sir you are saying he is not fit to serve the nation but he already did yesterday!"

Really? Walking around in army uniform equals serving the nation. This is getting sillier and sillier.

Hey go ahead induct any terminally ill kid that wants to join army, making him happy is all that is needed.

@ahmedsid, salman, hritik or any other filmstar entertaining the army is NOT the same as inducting a sick child into the army, I'm surprised you cant see the difference?
Inducting the KID?? Bro, you asked others to read the posts, but did you read everything that is said in the article and the posts? The Boy is given an uniform and chauffeured around the Station and he goes back home satisfied he was in the Army! Yes, the Army folks made it look like he was serving the Army, made him happy! Is that Wrong? Is that Unprofessional? Do you think Army is only used for Killing? Every Army has Humanitarian roles! This is a good gesture, and once again, read carefully before commenting :)

BloodRed

@ahmedsid It's obvious you dont have a clue what the army is for? No its not for killing, primary responsibility of any army is to protect nation's frontiers and not going around inducting sick kids.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles