Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.4%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.8%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.2%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 60 17.6%

• Total voters

Blademaster

I still feel that the IA is better off buying the Arjun and building its logistic chain to support Arjun, Bhim, and Akshay (sp??). This way IA is not compromised by the T-90's inferior armor and firepower.

Vladimir79

Professional
Citation on WIKI is a dead link.

There are several sources availiable, which suggest that Only Pre-A T-90 have full Shtora suite. T-90A (Russian Army Version) still have Shtora laser detectors and aerosol smoke grenades but no IR-jamming-lights anymore. They were removed because of insufficient effectiveness against and the hole in ERA-plate coverage they created. And since T-90A has an ESSA sight (the first serially produced belarussian sight with integrated thermal camera (french Thales Catherine)) they also don't need IR-searchlight anymore.
IR spotlights of Shtora are still present as they are used to light targets for the IR camera. It is part of the TO-KO1 sighting system as well as the Electro-Optical jamming mode.

Vladimir79

Professional
BTW, not to confuse anyone, Shtora is not an active defence system, it is passive. Arena would be the active defence.

p2prada

I still feel that the IA is better off buying the Arjun and building its logistic chain to support Arjun, Bhim, and Akshay (sp??). This way IA is not compromised by the T-90's inferior armor and firepower.
The T-90M's armour is superior to the Arjun and firepower is more or less the same. Arjun is faster and more accurate cause of a superior transmission and suspension.

p2prada

tharikiran

Country flag
The later versions of the T-90M will have the Kanchan armour. On top of that the Russians have installed the kaktus ERA on the T-90M. It makes the T-90M's armour far superior to Arjun's.
Are we going to use both kanchan and KAKTUS ?
Wasn't it just Kanchan ?

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
The later versions of the T-90M will have the Kanchan armour. On top of that the Russians have installed the kaktus ERA on the T-90M. It makes the T-90M's armour far superior to Arjun's.
Yes, but Kaktus can be installed on the Arjun as well, making both its and T90's armor same with base KANCHAN armor and 3rd generation Russian ERA on top.

p2prada

Are we going to use both kanchan and KAKTUS ?
Wasn't it just Kanchan ?
Yes. kanchan is the base armour while kaktus is the ERA.

Yes, but Kaktus can be installed on the Arjun as well, making both its and T90's armor same with base KANCHAN armor and 3rd generation Russian ERA on top.
Can't say. The Russians should provide ToT on the Kaktus for modifications on the Arjun. That they will not. So, we are designing our own ERA for the Arjun.

Rajan

200% agreed. My question to IA is when there was repeated failure by T-90 in desert hot condition how they went for the tank?!!!!!! But when it comes for Arjun they are reluctant to by more! If they want a good new generation tank then how they are buying T-90??

Vladimir79

Professional
200% agreed. My question to IA is when there was repeated failure by T-90 in desert hot condition how they went for the tank?!!!!!! But when it comes for Arjun they are reluctant to by more! If they want a good new generation tank then how they are buying T-90??
The failure I am aware of in T-90S is that of the Catherine Thermal imagers which did not take kindly to the heat. Thales has since added an enclosed climate system that has fixed the issue.

p2prada

The failure I am aware of in T-90S is that of the Catherine Thermal imagers which did not take kindly to the heat. Thales has since added an enclosed climate system that has fixed the issue.
The T-90 suspension failed too. The Torsion Bar started leaking in the desert heat.

Edit: Na! Cancel that, it was the Arjun that failed.

With the T-90s we had problems with the ammunition. It was not enough. The first batch supplied was completely used up in trials. :blum3:

natarajan

better procure arjun tanks atleast 1500-2000 and deploy them in rajasthan,punjab etc :2guns::2guns:
T-90 is useless in desserts

bhramos

Country flag
better procure arjun tanks atleast 1500-2000 and deploy them in rajasthan,punjab etc :2guns::2guns:
1500-2000 is a very large number,
but the do u know, Arjun's specifications are on paper are good, but not in reality,
DRDO already is engaged in new Futuristic MBT project lets wait for that,

Vladimir79

Professional
1500-2000 is a very large number,
but the do u know, Arjun's specifications are on paper are good, but not in reality,
DRDO already is engaged in new Futuristic MBT project lets wait for that,
Russia and India are teaming up to produce a new generation tank.

India and Russia are planning to jointly develop a futuristic 'smart' battle tank, having higher speed and better firepower, reports quoting Nikolai Malykh, director general of Russia's biggest battle factory Uralvagonzavod (UVZ), as saying.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
When you make statements such as the T90 being useless in the desert, you better back up your claims. I disagree, if the T90 were "Useless" in the desert, then the IA wouldnt even bother taking it in! Yes I have heard of some heating troubles, but thats all things that can be sorted. The way you say, it looks like T90 is Junk!

F-14

Global Defence Moderator
sid i gusse most of the assumption about the T-serise tanks are based on what was seen in the Russo-Gorgian war recently where many T-72's were blown to smitheriens by the Russians i think that that has stuck to the T-90 And the Present T-72M2 tanks

bhramos

Country flag
do u know the most Sucessfull and most exported tank of this decade or this century untill now remains the T-90,
if they were not sucessfull at deserts, why did the Saudi buy them, they are almost a desert country.
as far as Russo-Gorgeian war most of the Tanks T-62 or 65 , these are just upgrades of T-55 , and very less T-72's , but T-90's are more protected and advanced then these, in IA more powerfull with Israeli systems aboard.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
Arjun is like a camel in Desert , and T 90 is a Horse . You know which is well suited for Deserts .

Low ground pressure, high power-to-weight ratio and new design concepts in transmission suspension and running gear result in highly mobile and agile weapon platform.

Max speed 70 km/hr
Max speed on cross country 40 km/hr
Ground pressure 0.84 kg/sq. cm. (this is the lowest of all contemporary tanks WHAT)

Engine power 1400 HP at 2400 rpm
Engine characteristics V 90° Turbo charged diesel, 10 cylinder water cooled
Power-to-weight ratio 24:1 HP/ton

Now T 90 S

Speed (km/h): 60
M./Engine: Diesel B84MC, twin stroke, multi-fuel, 6-cyl; 840 hp
Power-to-weight ratio (hp/t): 18.68
Ground pressure (kg/sm2): 0.87
T-90/S MBT | Russian Arms, Military Technology, Analysis of Russia's Military Forces

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles