Main Battle Tanks and Armour Technology

If Tanks have to evolve, which path they should follow?

• Light Vehicles-Best for mobility

Votes: 25 7.3%
  • Heavy Armour-Can take heavy punishment.

Votes: 57 16.7%
  • Modular Design-Allowing dynamic adaptions.

Votes: 198 58.1%
  • Universal Platform-Best for logistics.

Votes: 61 17.9%

• Total voters

Damian

how good is it? i know is quite brittle yet light but is there any comparison of its characteristics with aluminuim carbide or even boron carbide?
Hard to say, at least at the moment I do not have any informations, perhaps Methos will be able to answer.

Oh BTW, Dyneema should not be britle all the time as it is used I guess mostly in form of a fiber (at least in armor applications), sorta similiar to Kevlar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-molecular-weight_polyethylene

Last edited:

Dazzler

Hard to say, at least at the moment I do not have any informations, perhaps Methos will be able to answer.

Oh BTW, Dyneema should not be britle all the time as it is used I guess mostly in form of a fiber (at least in armor applications), sorta similiar to Kevlar.

Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well if it is comparable to Kevlar i.e. flecible yet light weight, i believe it is used as an anti spalling element among mbts and even tank floor armour

Andrei_bt

rather it is you who is underestimating the pakistan

when these tech are not space tech at all
Space tech are 60-years before period in USSR (Ukraine).
And may I, to somebody forget, that "pride" of nation may make somebody blind to facts.

All I can say - without modern defence like "Duplet" Pakistan tanks like T-80UD and AL Khalid a very velnurable. You disagree?

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
Does France manufacture ERA?what are there capabilities regarding ERA
or they dont produce ERA for tanks?

Damian

Does France manufacture ERA?what are there capabilities regarding ERA
or they dont produce ERA for tanks?
France manufactured ERA called "BRENUS" (or "Brennus" sometimes) for AMX-30B2 tanks.

This is simple 1st generation ERA.

methos

Country flag
France manufactured ERA called "BRENUS" (or "Brennus" sometimes) for AMX-30B2 tanks.
France has pretty much shared ERA development with Germany, because the Franco-German institute at Saint Louis does a lot of research regarding this (including the early anti-KE ERA which defeated 105 mm APFSDS rounds when fitted to a Leopard 1).

Damian

France has pretty much shared ERA development with Germany, because the Franco-German institute at Saint Louis does a lot of research regarding this (including the early anti-KE ERA which defeated 105 mm APFSDS rounds when fitted to a Leopard 1).
Are you suggesting that "BRENUS" might have some anti-KE capabilities? Or at least some connection to this development?

Dazzler

BRENUS reactive modules provide acceptable protection against shaped charges, equivalent to 400 mm of steel armour.

Its modular design facilitates installation on all vehicles, as a function of mission requirements. BRENUS reactive modules have been of?cially acknowledged as MURAT (low hazard munition) by French Ministry of Defense.

BSG2 bricks and U12 boxes provide protection against HE shells, while increasing resistance against attack by medium calibre weapons. BSG3 bricks provide protection agianst top attack grenades.

Added protection kits have been developed for the AMX-30B2, M48, M60 and T-72 MBTs and for the M113, BMP-3 and CV90 light armoured vehicles.

NEXTER Group - BRENUS reactive added protection kit

Dazzler

DRDO reactive armour kit, seems like its based on K-1

Explosive Reactive Armour (ERA) is an add-on armour designed to offer additional protection to tanks against shaped charge warheads of modern antitank guided missiles (ATGMs). Over the last two decades, DRDO has developed expertise in this vital technology and has a large database of various designs of ERA.

Responding to user requirements of providing additional protection to tank, DRDO has developed an ERA system, which effectively reduces penetration of Milan 2 shaped charge warhead to the extent of 70 per cent.

The ERA developed by DRDO is a sandwich of explosive and metal plates. The panels of ERA are assembled in metallic containers. When the jet of a shaped charge warhead hits ERA panel, explosive in it detonates. As a result, the plates are accelerated and start moving outward in normal direction. The moving plates and the detonaters render the jet ineffective which loses its penetration capability.

Based on RDX, a special type of sheet explosive has also been developed for ERA.This sheet explosive is waterproof. It is not cap sensitive and also quite insensitive to frition, impact and heat. However, it gets initiated by a shaped-charge jet.

ERA panel
The ERA technology has met all the requirements of the user and was accepted for introduction into the Indian Army. The production of ERA panels has commenced in the Ordnance factories.

Salient Features

Effectively reduces the penetration of warheads of modern ATGMs
Immune to detonation against small arms ammunition and artillery shell fragments
No sympathetic detonation of neighbouring panels when one panel explodes
Minimum collateral damage
The weight penalty is kept to the minimum about 1.5 ton per tank
No initiation by arc welding or by accidental drops
Tank mobility and manoeuvrability not compromisis
Functions with equal efficiency even after deep fording by the tank
Operational temperature ranges from 20 oC to +55 oC
The technology is totally indigenous, possesses high contemporary innovation element and has made the nation self-reliant in this vital field of military importance. It has saved foreign exchange by eliminating the necessity to import of this technology (estimated cost of ERA kit for one tank in foreign countries is around Rs 48 lakhs), and even has export potential. Being indigenous, the technology can be modified/upgraded with some efforts to meet similar other and futuristic requirements.

EXPLOSIVE REACTIVE ARMOUR

methos

Country flag
Are you suggesting that "BRENUS" might have some anti-KE capabilities? Or at least some connection to this development?
No, this is not really probable. As far as I know BRENUS uses semi-hardness or high-hardness steel as outer layer, but this only should protect against HMG or medium caliber AP rounds.
I just wanted to say that French ERA development is way ahead of first generation ERA designs, some ERA types produced by GIAT use composite plates.

Damian

Ah ok then.

By first generation tough, I meant it works only against shaped charges.

militarysta

Ak1 vs t-80ud
*Better side armour/protection than t-80ud
Nope, it have not.

*better FCS
*Sagem matis 3rd generation thermal imagers
*HMC manufactured gun rumoured to be of bigger calibre
*Rehbar IBMS(with capability of operating UAV from inside the tank and other IBMS features)
In middle 1990s those solution where not avaible on Ukraina, now it's the past.

militarysta

As Damian says, Fanboyism.

A quick and dirty estimation gave me 618.8 mm as the worst result (on this image, with other images on comparison) when using a top view image with no perspective distortion. The image is extremely accurate, and was made by militarysta.

An estimation using a Chinese 2D drawing which had an abnormally gun diameter (not the barrel) and mantlet, I got around 890.4 mm.

My best guess would be ~700 mm of armour, maximum on the front turret

@Damian @militarysta @methos @STGN @Dejawolf @Kunal Biswas @pmaitra @W.G.Ewald @sayareakd @ersakthivel

I will follow up tomorrow.

Dazzler, this image you supplied could be in wrong proportions. Have no time now.
Few yers layter I had tried to estimatous this. Weak, and whit big error, but:

Last edited by a moderator:

The Last Stand

Country flag
A little more work on the ZTZ-96 image provided by Dazzler when compared to other drawings and real images gives me nearly the same results Militarysta got for ZTZ-98. I don't need to post my work now, we can consider ZTZ-96 protection as slightly lower than ZTZ-98.

My Final estimates - The "A1" line drawn gives me 764-790 mm.

"A2" gives 720-740 mm.

"A3" is 660-680 mm.

"C" gives 460-500 mm.

I am not up for checking "B" values right now.

I will have it up on Sunday, all finished.