Mahatma, freedom icon of Chinese underground

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Mahatma, freedom icon of Chinese underground
Independence icon, father of our nation, global leader and now, freedom symbol with a rock star touch. A Chinese rock magazine has featured Mahatma Gandhi on its cover, complete with guitar-shaped glasses, fingers flashing the peace sign and Rolling Stones-like tongue sticking out.
The magazine, I love rock music (in Chinese) - which also goes by its English name, So Rock! Magazine - seems part of an underground culture of dissent. Its tone is satirical and the write-ups on music and entertainment mixed with sex and spoofs.Zhu Jinhui, who claimed to be the editor, told HT in an internet chat, "Gandhi has a powerful 'qi' (roughly translated as life force in Chinese) field. He matches the Chinese imagination as god or saint. And the peace sign means 'rock' in most Chinese readers' minds."Zhu said most "educated people of China know about Gandhi" and that "Gandhi is a symbol of freedom".
"We Chinese really need our own Gandhi," he said, adding that the magazine had carried the Mahatma's life story a few years ago.In a country where dissenting opinion is curbed swiftly - Facebook, Twitter and YouTube are all blocked - Zhu's words could be termed outspoken. He said the magazine has been raided earlier but since it prints just 10,000 copies, the number is nothing compared to China's 1.3 billion people."The government has more serious problems (to deal with)."
Unlike the editor, the academics and scholars HT spoke to were less unwilling to comment. One Beijing-based Indian scholar said one had to be "prudent" while talking about Gandhi or his beliefs.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Now that is not good what they have done.

So far the Chinese have blamed the Dalai Lama.

Now they will blame India for causing discontent and it will be horrifying if the Han Chinese also starts burning themselves in protest to the music of 'We Shall Overcome"!

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Gandhian way isn't going to help the freedom loving Chinese against the CCP...................imo

Animesh Agarwal

IMHO it is things like these that test our character and self-confidence. Photoshopping an image of Mahatma Gandhi isnt going to do any damage. It can be offensive only if it is being thrust upon us or we are being forced to read it.
BTW When I read this in the newspaper morning it had the picture. But in the online edition of HT there is no picture. Removed maybe?

and since you have taken the trouble to create account to post the link won't it be better if you posted regularly:)
Just saying.
Welcome btw:)
now that i am here.. i'll be posting. this place seems interesting.

no smoking

Country flag
I am surprise this can be interpreted like this.
On contrary, indians should protest this. seriously, this is not about "freedom" symbal. It is making laugh at Gandhi by painting him as kind of clown.

nimo_cn

Country flag
I told you Gandhi is popular in China. When I was in high school, every one of us learned a lesson about this great man.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I told you Gandhi is popular in China. When I was in high school, every one of us learned a lesson about this great man.
We didn't learn about the many "leaps" of mao in school. :wave:

Animesh Agarwal

I am surprise this can be interpreted like this.
On contrary, indians should protest this. seriously, this is not about "freedom" symbal. It is making laugh at Gandhi by painting him as kind of clown.
protest and then what? get an UNDERGROUND magazine banned?

KS

Bye bye DFI
For all his good deeds, Mahatma is a bit overhyped character in history..:rolleyes:

Animesh Agarwal

How about painting a clown-like Deng picture. At least, this picture is not saying any good about Mahatma, it just put him on the level of Hitler.
This picture says nothing about Mahatma. Whatever it says is only about the creator of the picture (and IMO its not necessarily negative).
Similarly, painting a clown-like Deng picture would only give us an insight into the painter's mind, tells nothing about deng. :gossip: If a painter feels that way then he should surely make such art, and there is no benefit in banning it.

no smoking

Country flag
This picture says nothing about Mahatma. Whatever it says is only about the creator of the picture (and IMO its not necessarily negative).
Exactly, the creater of this picture and his readers just treat this man as a joke. So why our indian friends come up this bull shit -"Mahatma, freedom icon of chinese underground"?

Similarly, painting a clown-like Deng picture would only give us an insight into the painter's mind, tells nothing about deng. :gossip: If a painter feels that way then he should surely make such art, and there is no benefit in banning it.
Who said to ban it? I suggest you to re-read the whole thread.

All I said is that all our indian friends misunderstand the chinese mindset. They should be angry instead of being thrill.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles