Looming Water crisis in India

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Friends,

We saw the example of Chennai. City was left with no water prior to rainy season. This is Chennai today and and it will be majority of Indian cities in coming decade. A false narrative of development is being advertised. You kill nature , cut trees destroy water bodies and build concrete jungles is called development. Situation is becoming bad to worse. This is a wake-up call. If we don't awake by now, it will be too late tomorrow. Situation has become so worse that, in most of the cities of India, you can not live without air conditioners. Rather than spending huge amount on fake development of building toilets and building roads, it is a time to build jungles, water bodies , ground water recharging etc. We must build large permaculture food forest reviving of rivers. No permission of borewell should be given unless recharging facility is build simultaneously. Jokers seating in Delhi are not worried at all. This is a time to make water conservation and forestation a mass movement in India. Let's us discuss .

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
If Chinis would stop diverting rivers India would not have a water shortage.

Absolutely wrong. What China has to do with water crisis in India? The rivers flowing from Tibet hardly has any catchment area. Must of the water comes from Indian rigion and flows to ocean. Thousands of our rivers either have dried or has become seasonal because of deforestation. Destruction of nature and building concrete jungle is given new name Vikas now.

ssg_slayer

Director at Search & Troll Wing - STW
Hi guys I am new.
Related to this development I think I have a different say. I believe that the hand of water mafia is responsible for shortage of water in cities of India.
They may be manipulating water supplying by corrupting the muncipalty and other responsible people so that their water tankers are sold or water packing brands like aquafina and bisleri make profit out of it.

There is no scarcity of water in India, more over we receive more than enough rainfal in the region which leads to flood. Problem is there is no management of water resource specially when it comes to storage.

So this is what I believe may be some one else can put light on it.

Knowitall

I would like people to watch this video. Especially the part from where their water solutions start. They don't have water scarcity like us but they import a lot of water from outside. Do look at the steps taken by them and how good they are. Surely India can learn a lot from Singapore.

captscooby81

Country flag
Chennai water crisis was because of two consecutive failed monsoon . I am seeing from my childhood people queuing for water tanker that is 3 decades story . What changed in last 10 years is rapid urbanisation which led the politician builder mafia to grab lands cover up lakes and water bodies and construct apartments .

In 2015 chennai faced heavy rains and the city was flooded most of the places submerged were basically lakes which were covered up . My house was in different locality and we hardly had water on the street also after such heavy rains .

The solution is right in front of our eyes but we are all lazy to act . With cities growing rapidly the ground water resource is getting reduced , One because of too much concrete cover which stops the water going down and recharging the ground water .

Second is the lakes and water bodies which mainly are water source for cities are getting shrunk .

People are talking about chennai . I just saw notice in my flat door in hyderabad saying the municipal authority is not able to supply water more than 30% of what they actually used to do .Swimming pools are dry in my apartment no water .

Hyderabad is also similar situation the water to city comes from Krishna and other rivers outside the city . Bangalore is another perfect example if cauvery river drys bangalore is fucked beyond irreversible

People have to understand two things . Do they want just water or they want Fresh river water .

Why do someone need fresh water to wash his clothes and car ? cant he use desalinated water?

Dry country like Israel is using desalination so end its water crisis .

Were does all these so called Gulf countries get their water from . Isn't it sea ?

Start commissioning desalination plants across the coast from gujarat to bengal and start supply water from it to the metros .

Non metro , Town and villages lets start building ponds and water bodies and start recharging the ground water levels ..

And finally use the river water only for drinking and cooking purpose .

Our water consumption levels are same but our water wastage levels are going like rocket .

Let me give a simple example of my company

We are building a residential project with 2260 units which we will complete in next 14 months . here is the maths

2260 * 3 bedroom with Western Style commode = 6780

Lets say each person in a day uses it 4 times the western style commode uses between 5-15 litres of water for small to big flush

6780*4*3 = 81360 * 15 litres of water = 12,20,400 litres of water just for the toilet flush

Now add the 30 litres of water for taking show for each person * 3 in a family that's 90 litres a day i need another 10 lakhs litres of water

Washing machine average 15-20 litres that would be around 1 lakh litres of water

on average i need 20-25 lakh litres of water a day to just run the society

With water recycling i will be able to recover 60 % of the flush water and resend it to flush tank i can do it max recycling of 8-9 times approximately i am not sure exact number need to check with property management team once

Now imagine in a city like hyderabad which has zero ground water in few places running such big society needs lots of fresh river water which is precious and used to flushing toilets . Now what if we replace that with desalinated sea water which can be used for commercial purpose and also for industries rather using ground water or river water ..

People may laugh at me i did a small analysis just to kill time at work between indian style toilet vs western style commode each time one use it to pee he can save 3 litres more in indian style vs western ..that easily around 15 litres of water for each flat .

But people will think i am some village fellow if i say this saying using indian style toilet is better even for water saving .

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Absolutely wrong. What China has to do with water crisis in India? The rivers flowing from Tibet hardly has any catchment area. Must of the water comes from Indian rigion and flows to ocean. Thousands of our rivers either have dried or has become seasonal because of deforestation. Destruction of nature and building concrete jungle is given new name Vikas now.
Chinis are draining the Brahmaputra, this is water meant for India to be used as needed. Free Tibet and claim what is yours.

ssg_slayer

India only stores 6% of annual rainfall and developed nation stores 250%

ssg_slayer

name a few, i would like to know more about this....
How 250%?????
30 to 40 percent can be saved from the design of houses and the ecological appliances in the home.

another 80% addition can be done at river basin. So when you are adding more than 80% of the total quantity every year and reducing the water usage by 40% it alone reaches more than 120% water table quantity increase in addition to that rules regarding usage of ground table and preventing illegal abstraction of ground water adds to the refillment of ground water.

Erope has already achieved good status in more than 111000 water bodies on the basis of quantity and quality.

everything is here:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource....e9-8d04-01aa75ed71a1.0005.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/participation/map_mc/map.htm
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/quantity/presentations_27_04_2010.htm
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/quantity/pdf/stakeholders/3 Stakeholder cons _WSD_Agri.pdf

We can't spend the way europe is spending but the lack of initiatives on serious note especially the river basin reviving is catastrophic in India. We are not serious about it. And all because of either lack of funds or interest.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
30 to 40 percent can be saved from the design of houses and the ecological appliances in the home.

another 80% addition can be done at river basin. So when you are adding more than 80% of the total quantity every year and reducing the water usage by 40% it alone reaches more than 120% water table quantity increase in addition to that rules regarding usage of ground table and preventing illegal abstraction of ground water adds to the refillment of ground water.

Erope has already achieved good status in more than 111000 water bodies on the basis of quantity and quality.

everything is here:
https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource....e9-8d04-01aa75ed71a1.0005.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/participation/map_mc/map.htm
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/quantity/presentations_27_04_2010.htm
http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/quantity/pdf/stakeholders/3 Stakeholder cons _WSD_Agri.pdf

We can't spend the way europe is spending but the lack of initiatives on serious note especially the river basin reviving is catastrophic in India. We are not serious about it. And all because of either lack of funds or interest.
You are comparing India's ecology to europe where it snows 80% of the continent?

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
we also receive good amount of snow in our himalayas but shimla was without water for many days. This is pure incompetency and lack of interest. We have plenty of water but it all goes wasted.
Deforestation and lack of interest by the governments in doing basic things such as construction of lakes , ponds and water bodies and plantation of trees and forestation has worsen the situation. Government has all the money in the world who built the roads and create the concrete jungles in rural area but they don't have any time priority aur resources to either plant trees or invest in water conservation. They don't have even a policy of water conservation.

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Deforestation and lack of interest by the governments in doing basic things such as construction of lakes , ponds and water bodies and plantation of trees and forestation has worsen the situation. Government has all the money in the world who built the roads and create the concrete jungles in rural area but they don't have any time priority aur resources to either plant trees or invest in water conservation. They don't have even a policy of water conservation.
Every city is built by chor politicians. Just look around yourself out on the road. Every infrastructure is substandard, poor dysfunctional and shoddy. Why when the rest of the world use technology, procedures, quality control, and set standards by taking care of every aspect of human life including environment India simply don't get it. Why?

Indians are s argumentative that they are simply not getting this fact that corruption by politicians is the main reason for their poor quality of life.

Whenever a contract is purposed these greedy dogs start salivating.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
I’d argue that usually govts do what people want, activism is usually responsible for stirring up people and to move towards a certain goal.

In our case activists themselves have been bought out by foreign political forces, so they are not interested in a solution rather just repeating problem statements over and over again for decades.

More importantly we should not forget that governments started having sufficient funds only after year 2000, so the infra development is a very recent phenomenon. And many lessons are yet to be learnt.

Just curious, do you live in India? I see that most of your points are rhetorical and generic.

To be more specific, you opinions seems to have formed by reading English indian news media opeds rather regional news.

Last edited:

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
There should be a cpmpucompu water harvesting in each and every railway station and Bus stands. Each village should be planned in such a way that they have enough water storage off the requirement for two years. For every bore well dug , there should compulsory water recharging system.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Hello, the water crisis is being overblown. Vagaries of monsoon create either excessive rains or short on rains. It has been happening for the last two thousand years. It was King Chandragupta Mauraya he left Pataliputra for south because it did not rain for seven years. Then it rained and carried away all Pataliputra.

It has not rained enough about 15% less in india, hence this water shortage clamour has started. It may still rain in next two months because some climatic change is delaying the on set of rains by a month. Hence hold off on your talk of water shortage.

Direct your energies to how to store excess water of monsoon and save it for dry season or reduce water consumption by making agriculture more water efficient. Agriculture is the biggest and most inefficient user of water. When you have finished your suggestions on agriculture then direct your energies to purify water so that it becomes potable with ease.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles