Londonistan ?? Muhammad most common name given to babies in London

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Do turkish muslims also have this name as their numero uno favorite, or is it a unique trend in the sub-continental type only?
Does Muhammed figure as a prominent name in German newborns?
turks and iranians dont have arab names. In some instances its mixed with arab names. Have a glance at there football squad

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
The new Royal kid should be named His Holiness Mohammad George Alexander Louis

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
True but on the other side. lets take pakis , the largest Muslim community in UK.

95% of pakis lives on dole (govt benefits) in UK, They got the largest no. of school dropouts, They have the largest criminal records among immigrants, They involve in terrorism in UK. and interestingly 95% of pakis have Mohammad in their names.

isn''t it they are defaming their prophets name ???:p:p

how will they feel when their name Mohammad is called in court,in jail ??
?
@ dejavu
They would feel insulted if they say "Mohamad accused/convicted for rape/murder"

honeybadger

True but on the other side. lets take pakis , the largest Muslim community in UK.

95% of pakis lives on dole (govt benefits) in UK, They got the largest no. of school dropouts, They have the largest criminal records among immigrants, They involve in terrorism in UK. and interestingly 95% of pakis have Mohammad in their names.

isn''t it they are defaming their prophets name ???:p:p

how will they feel when their name Mohammad is called in court,in jail ??
?
@ dejavu
When parents give name to their kids they usually try to give what they think is a good name ( although some Indians used to give really evil name to their kids, possibly to ward off evil if their earlier sibling died.. etc),
I dont think ram singh's parents thought his son will be a rape accused.

The rest stats is unbelievable, kindly post a link about 95 % of pakistanis on dole and 95 % have mohammed in their name.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have no idea what's being discussed right now.

In any case if anyone wants to read the article :

: In a sharp jump in just one year, Muhammad has emerged as the most common first name given to baby boys born in London in 2012. The name was also second most common among new born male babies across UK and Wales the same year-Harry being the most common second year in a row.

Interestingly in 2011, Daniel and Oliver were the top two names given to new born male children in London. Muhammad (spelt this way) was ranked third (658) in London with Mohammed (spelt like this) ranked as the eight commonest name in London given to 634 male children.

Across England and Wales, Harry and Amelia were the most popular first names given to babies maintaining the top spots from 2011.

In 2011, Mohammed (with this spelling) was ranked 19th most popular baby name while Muhammad (spelt this way) was ranked 22.

Over the total of 729,674 registered births in 2012 there were more than 28,000 different boys' names and over 36,000 different girls' names.

Interestingly three different spellings of the name Muhammad are listed in the top 100 names for boys.

The most common is Muhammad, which is in 19th place on the table. Mohammed comes 26th and Mohammad is in 60th place.

Overall the name was given 7,139 times in 2012, just 29 behind Harry-which took the top spot.

Despite this variation, those in each top 10 accounted for 13% of all given names.

Britain's Office for National Statistics (ONS) released the most popular first names for babies born in England and Wales in 2012 on Monday. In particular, it examined the 100 most popular first names for boys and for girls and compared the ranks of those names with the ranks in 2011 and 2002.

Experts say Asian names have become very common in London specially because of the city's swelling migrant population. Indians have become the largest foreign-born group in London. Nearly 9% of all foreign-born residents in London are now Indian.

In sheer numbers, this means 2.63 lakh persons born in India are now living in London.

London had about 3 million foreign-born residents in 2011 (37% of the total London population and 40% of the total foreign-born population of England and Wales).

London's foreign-born population increased by 54% since 2001, accounting for 105% of the total population increase, as the UK-born population decreased in the decade.

Moreover, London concentrates a large proportion (40%) of the entire foreign-born population of England and Wales.

Between 2001 and 2011, the total resident population of England and Wales increased by 14%, by about 1 million residents.

However, the UK-born population in London actually declined, by 1% (about 50,000 residents). This means that the entire growth of the London population can be accounted for the by increase in the number of residents that had been born outside of the UK.

ONS had looked at the top five non-UK born mothers' countries by number of births (Poland, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Nigeria).

GFRs for the UK show that women born in Pakistan have the highest fertility rates of the five individual maternal countries of birth examined, with around 180 births per thousand women in 2011, compared with around 60 births per thousand for UK born women.

The impact of non-UK born women on fertility is largest in London.

This is due to a high proportion of the childbearing age population in London being non-UK born, and lower UK born fertility in London than the UK average. This could also explain the higher number of Mohammad's being born.

Muhammad the most common baby name in London - The Times of India

Blackwater

When parents give name to their kids they usually try to give what they think is a good name ( although some Indians used to give really evil name to their kids, possibly to ward off evil if their earlier sibling died.. etc),

The rest stats is unbelievable, kindly post a link about 95 % of pakistanis on dole and 95 % have mohammed in their name.

if u dont know while living in UK then iam afraid

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I have never heard of evil name's being given, it could be a practice of a particular community.

I agree.

I think its exaggerated but a large proportion of Pakistanis do tend to live on welfare, and have Muhammad as a common first name. Although, I think the Bangladeshis would outrank Pakistanis for the welfare title.
Some Stats would be useful.

Blackwater

I know lots of desis and lots of white people are on benefit, but not sure about percentage of pakistani people. Please share with me the link.
Thank you.
100% right

read my post 7 carefully. i worked in Coventry city council and job center.

honeybadger

100% right

read my post 7 carefully. i worked in Coventry city council and job center.
I read it many times. I am sorry I cannot rely on 'I worked in so and so place'. Is it a publicly available statistical data that can be verified? Or is it based on your 'feelings' you got from working there.
If it is second, kindly put that in your sentence.. like 'I feel'... or 'I think'.

Last edited:

Blackwater

I read it many times. I am sorry I cannot rely on 'I worked in so and so place'. Is it a publicly available statistical data tat can be verified? Or is it based on your 'feelings' you got from working there.
If it is second, kindly put that in your sentence.. like 'I feel'... or 'I think'.

i had access to all UK data

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@honeybadger @Blackwater

The assertion what BW made was to show that there is a statistically significant number of Pakistani origin Brits who are on welfare.

And I have to concur with BW.

"While those of Indian origin, for instance, get 8% of their income from the state in the form of benefits, state pension and tax credits, those describing their ethnicity as Pakistani or Bangladeshi receive 29% of their income in various forms of state aid.

White citizens receive 15% of their income from social security, tax credits and the state pension. People of Chinese ethnicity get 10%. Those of mixed ethnicity get 13%, while those from black ethnic groups receive between 17% and 18%."

Last edited by a moderator:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag

honeybadger

@Singh ..thanks for posting the data, I will be grateful if you can post the link where you got the stats from.

Pakistanis and bangladeshis are clubbed together, I would tend to think it will be lower for pakistanis due to higher level of poverty among bangladeshis. (not sure how significantly it affects).
@Blackwater .. like singh observed, people of pakistani origin have significant percentage on doles. still dont know where you got the 95 % from.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
@Singh ..thanks for posting the data, I will be grateful if you can post the link where you got the stats from.
BBC - Mark Easton's UK: Work, benefits and ethnicity

All the tables are in Family Resources Survey. I have posted a few of these stats over the years. Maybe if I get time will try to hunt them.

Pakistanis and bangladeshis are clubbed together, I would tend to think it will be lower for pakistanis due to higher level of poverty among bangladeshis. (not sure how significantly it affects).
My impression is the same, but then from what I do remember the gap between Pakistanis and Bangladeshis was not statistically significant.

@Blackwater .. like singh observed, people of pakistani origin have significant percentage on doles. still dont know how you got the 95 % from.
Perhaps 95% figure would be belonging to a particular area or council estate, but its certainly not true of whole of Britain. However, I think what he did try to imply was Pakistanis do live on the dole, and this generalization is rooted in reality.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles