Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
You Aussies have your eyes set on this bird. No surprising that you start your posts with this thread.

Pintu

It is an awesome picture of F-22 , however , is that F-15 flying beside,

Please correct me if I am wrong ?

Regards

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
But the F22 is involved in more freak accidents I suppose...

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
C'mon sailor...my heart bleeds each time i hear that or read that...conopy not opening, bad glue causing the RAM tiles to be sucked into engine inlets...Damn sir...My eyes bleed

bhramos

Country flag
F-22 taxiway collision causes $1 million damage ?

F-22 taxiway collision causes $1 million damage ?

A US Air Force Lockheed Martin F-22A Raptor has sustained more than $1 million in damage after colliding with another aircraft parked on a taxiway.

A spokesman at Tyndall AFB, Florida, where the incident last week occurred, confirmed the F-22A struck a Canada's Air Force Boeing CF-18.

Despite a $1 million repair bill, the collision was a relatively minor, low-speed event, the spokesman says. Details of the damage are being withheld pending the results of a safety investigation.

The USAF defines a Class A safety mishap as any incident resulting in death or disabling injury to people or more than $1 million worth of damage to the aircraft.

Meanwhile, the RCAF has also dispatched a safety investigation team to Tyndall, says a spokesman for the 1st Canadian Air Division.

The spokesman was unable to immediately provide details about the damage sustained by the parked CF-18.

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles...on-damage.html

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
already posted in the f22 thread mate

tito

I wonder how the pilot managed to do such a thing..

I question the level of discipline in the American Armed forces.. reminds me of this incident when this Los Angeles Class sub surfaced below a japanese trawler, didnt offer elp to the crew of the sunken ship, and simply limped back to port

Sailor

C'mon sailor...my heart bleeds each time i hear that or read that...conopy not opening, bad glue causing the RAM tiles to be sucked into engine inlets...Damn sir...My eyes bleed
Don't worry too much Satish, unless you're flying an SU-30 and there are hostile F-22s around.

pyromaniac

Founding Member
. reminds me of this incident when this Los Angeles Class sub surfaced below a japanese trawler, didnt offer elp to the crew of the sunken ship, and simply limped back to port

lol, I remember this...the Japanese crew must have thought it was Godzilla or something...

VayuSena1

Professional
Considering your admiration of this beauty, I assume that Australia is aggressively campaigning to obtain these aircraft. Do you reckon that the US Congress would let their only-token-to-air-supremacy land in the hands of other countries even if they are allies? From what I have read, even Israel and Japan are interested in acquiring the Raptor.

J

John

ok guys some glimmer of hope for countries waiting to get their hands on the F-22

U.S. lawmakers said exploring F-22 version for Japan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Senate Appropriations Committee's defense subcommittee is considering requiring the U.S. Air Force to study the viability of creating an export version of the Lockheed Martin Corp F-22 fighter jet, a source closely following the issue told Reuters on Monday.

"There may be language inserted into the fiscal 2010 appropriations bill that would at least look at the possibility," said the source, who asked not to be identified since the legislative language is still being finalized.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates in April said the Pentagon would halt production of the radar-evading F-22 fighter at 187 airplanes, after ordering four more aircraft in fiscal 2009 that ends September 30.

Japan for years has expressed interest in buying two squadrons of its own F-22s, which could translate into orders of 40 to 60 more airplanes for Lockheed, said defense analyst Loren Thompson of the Virginia-based Lexington Institute.

Foreign sales of the F-22 fighter are banned under an amendment by House Appropriations Committee Chairman David Obey that was passed in 1998, but recent North Korean missile launches and continued interest by Japan in buying the F-22 may be softening congressional opposition, particularly since the Lockheed production line is now nearing a shutdown.

Some lawmakers are concerned about the loss of tens of thousands of jobs, and are considering adding funding for additional F-22s to the Pentagon's fiscal 2010 budget request to keep the line running a little longer -- possibly as a "bridge" to an export version.

Thompson, an adviser to several major defense companies, said Japan had expressed a willingness to pay all the costs of modifying the sophisticated fighter jets for export. Analysts say the bill for removing highly classified equipment could be close to $1 billion.

Tokyo argues that it needs a fighter jet like the F-22 to deter an attack against the island nation, and says the fighter would be particularly suited to intercept hostile missiles and aircraft in flight, or destroy them on the ground.

North Korea's recent missile launches have made the issue topical once again, Thompson said, and the U.S. Air Force had recently reversed its earlier position and concluded that it would be feasible to create an export version of the plane.

Michele Flournoy, defense undersecretary for policy, told reporters last month that possible exports of the F-22 to close allies would be discussed during the Quadrennial Defense Review that just got underway and is due to wrap up by late summer.

Air Force leaders have accepted Gates' decision to halt production, but Chief of Staff General Norton Schwartz last month said the move would pose a "moderate to high risk" if the service needed to fight two wars at the same time.

Thompson said Senator Daniel Inouye, who heads the defense subcommittee of the Senate Appropriations Committee, supported selling the advanced air-to-air fighter jets to Japan, and was trying to work toward lifting the ban on F-22 exports.

A spokesman for Inouye said work would not begin until mid to late June on the appropriations bill and declined to comment on specific details.

Greg Kiley, a former aide to the Senate Armed Services Committee, said even an agreement to lift the ban would still leave several hurdles for the F-22 production line.

Kiley said it could take a year to lift the ban on F-22 exports, and any sales agreement with Japan would still take additional time to win approval, given tough U.S. laws on the export of any sensitive military technology.

Then, he said, addition of funding to keep the Lockheed production running in the meantime would require approval by four separate congressional committees, and they had so far not shown much willingness to battle Gates, who recently told Japan that the F-22 was not for sale.

"I just don't see it happening," said Kiley, who noted that earlier attempts by Congress to push for F-22 exports had also stalled. To ensure success this time, he said lawmakers would need the strong support of Gates and Lockheed.

Lockheed spokeswoman Nettie Johnson said current law banned exports of the F-22. "Our one customer is the U.S. Air Force and any sales of F-22s to other countries would be determined by the U.S. Air Force, Department of Defense and State Department, subject to congressional approval," she said.

U.S. lawmakers said exploring F-22 version for Japan | Politics | Reuters

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Pretty childish, and pretty obvious that the makers of this video dont know much about planes!

About the Maker of F16 badmouthing the F22, well the fact is true, any plane can be brought down, its not that the F16 or the Sukhois are invincible. There is an inherent risk in every sortie an airplane flies in a hostile environment.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
By the way, I dont think the person in this video is the sole designer or design head of the F16. I think he was in the Design team. Correct me If I am wrong plz.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles