Liogkiy Mnogofunktsionalniy Frontovoi Samolyot (LMFS), a MIG and ADA production

A.V.

official declaration is still awaited and might take a longer time still as both countries are concentration on the pakfa at present, the lmfs will be seriously fasttracked in 2015, but a series of secretive exchanges in the recent times have given rise to a concrete process of dialogue which is more than a mere speculation

i am posting from wikipedia ink although its not the best source aways, do not shoot me for the report as i do not have other inks to justify my claims , but its definitely at the round table discussions between the two parties..

The Mikoyan Liogkiy Mnogofunktsionalniy Frontovoi Samolyet (Light Multi-function Frontal Aircraft), is an aircraft derived from Mikoyan's MFI program. It is estimated to be a light-weight, single engine, stealth 5th generation fighter, which will join the PAK FA in active service. The aircraft is also known as the Project 1.27.
In April 2002, the Russian military chose Sukhoi's T-50 proposal in the fifth-generation fighter contest — which was codenamed the Perspektivniy Aviatsionniy Kompleks Frontovoi Aviatsii (PAK FA), or future tactical aviation air system. The Sukhoi T-50's rival in 2002 was the MiG design, the exact designation of which is classified. Later, when MiG Corp. decided to continue this program, it received the codename Liogkiy Mnogofunktsionalniy Frontovoi Samolyot (LMFS) or Light Multi-role Tactical Aircraft. MiG Corp. did not accept defeat in the contest against Sukhoi.
In 2005 MiG's LMFS project came out of the shadows again. The Indian Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) and Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) started analyzing the development options for a home-grown fifth-generation fighter, called the Medium Combat Aircraft (MCA), which was a twin-engine version of the its Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) Tejas fighter. After a bad experience with the LCA, India sought a partner in Russia for the MCA program.[citation needed]
A great advantage of the MiG project is the fact that its design and technical parameters are significantly different from the Sukhoi T-50. As a result, the market does not have to choose between an "either-or" situation, and both aircraft can find their place, depending upon the needs of potential export clients.
The LMFS will be about 30% lighter than the T-50. According to approximate assessments, the T-50 will have a normal take-off weight of 21 tons, which places it between present MiG-29 and Su-27 fighters — whereas the LMFS is likely to weigh 15 tons. Most probably, the LMFS will retain the delta canard configuration of the heavy MiG 1.44 prototype.
In April 2006, the St. Petersburg-based Klimov Company announced that it had started design work on a new engine for the next-generation lightweight fighter being developed by MiG Corp. Although MiG has yet to define all of its requirements for the future engine, Klimov representatives said their powerplant will have increased thrust, a vectoring nozzle and modular design.

Mikoyan LMFS - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
I have been saying this for a long time.....

bhramos

Country flag
this is very old news,
as IAF intially liked Mig's project, but RuAF is intrested in PAKFA, and only willing to put $$$ in PAKFA, so maybe Russians asked $$$ help first in PAKFA then u can continue to LMFS , so IAF had to agree,

A.V.

if mig wins the MRCA we will have a independent development of the LMFS but thats too much into the future maybe dynamics will change by then but certainly a possibility also if indian experience with PAKFA comes good they might like to get into a joint R&d project
i prefer a joint R&D which can come up with vital technical knowledge

himanshugoswami

While this looks like good news, I wonder where will the LMFS sit in the IAF scheme of things:

Su30 MKI will form the fronline for the IAF for a long time to come and will be complemented by the PakFA towards the end of the next decade.

MMRCA will be the quick strike option along with the first line of defence in conjunction with the Mig 29 and M2K

LCA will perform the role of the Mig 21s along with the Bisons.

So where will the LMFS/MCA fit in the scheme of things? is the IAF stretching itself a bit too much here? should they not be using this money to develop and perfect the LCA and LCA mk2?

A.V.

Latest picture release from parlay.ru considering they were correct in the PAK-FA details it seems very likely

notinlove

Latest picture release from parlay.ru considering they were correct in the PAK-FA details it seems very likely

All this seems pretty nice But , Do i see missiles inside the intakes [[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[

Last edited by a moderator:

notinlove

Check the air inlets. They are different.
yup ...and the wings and horizontal tails too ... but the nose and fuselage looks very similar ... moreover whats your take on the intakes in the picture AV posted? are those missiles inside of it?
seems impractical to me , either they stretch the airframe and make space like in PAK-FA(which IMHO is not very practical for a small medium fighter) or take the intakes to the sides, in effect making it look even more similar to MCA . don't you think?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Instead of financing this true Russian project(whose ultimate aim is to tap international market), we should better invite Mig to join hands with ADA for helping later in developing NGFA fast...... India should not play stupid again by letting Russians enjoy feast on Indian money.

lodaxstax

Kind of agree with Rahul. Let MiG work with ADA and help in MCA.

Besides i cant figure what sense does it make to have so many planes doing similar function and similar capability. PAKFA, FGFA, LCA MK2, MCA and now LMFS????

I think it would be logical if we tie to develop Next Gen UCAVs

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
Well said Rahul, it is high time we started valuing every dollar we spend in the international market in procurement of military hardware and software.

If we are indeed interested in pursuing the medium weight, multi role, 5G combat aircraft with the MIG corp we better do it on our terms and on our own money and a way out for that is to go for MIG35 for MMRCA. The value of that deal will go around 15-20b usd by the end of it in procuring 200 odd units, which means effectively 50% of that amount has to find its way back to India under the off set clause, now the same 50% can be used in making of this aircraft. The advantage we have here is while doing the contract for MMRCA the 5G project be put on table under the condition that the whole project will happen in India, with HAL as the senior partner in the project with all the technologies developed by the MIG corp shared with HAL under complete ToT, and HAL be involved in all aspects of designing and production.

As it is if we are not going to do this, then the steep learning curve achieved through LCA will go a waste which should not be allowed at any cost.

This is the first time I have thought of having MIG35 for the MMRCA and if worked out properly this could get us tremendous benefits in developing an aero space industry which will have the capability of competing with the very best.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
I had resisted to add this in my earlier post. It is now crystal clear that defence system exporting countries like Russia, who depends to an extent on orders from Indian armed forces does not want India becoming self-reliant is defence systems. That is why they deny(indirectly) technologies to us when we are incapable to develop it but suddenly takes u-turn when seeing India developing that particular technology. First they try to kill India's achievement by offering sale of so-called ultra advanced, cutting edge systems e.g LM -" F-16 will allow IAF an easy transition to F-35". After failing, quickly renewing the offer by inviting India to join as a partner. Same is the case here. Russians know that if proposed NGFA gets developed and get inducted then they will lose market, so they might have decided to kill the program by offering almost similar fighter this LMFAs. As they know, IAF is on way to cut types and will accept either NGFA or LMFA in its M-MRCA tier.

ppgj

i have my doubts about this collaboration. looks more a speculation.

india did not have experience in building combat aircraft but that they overcame by building LCA. they pain stakingly built Fly-By-Wire system and CLAW (a real achievement)for the same against an insurmountable international denial regime. having license built mig series aircraft/jaguar, they have only gained in experience. with PAKFA/FGFA experience coming along, i guess, indian designers will have all they need to build with aerospace industry, in a better position to deliver. needs to be remembered here, india has made solid strides in AVIONICS area. plus they have kaveri engine which hopefully with french collaboration should come alive. india has technology for building composites too.

yes. i beleive india will do it alone.

Last edited:

notinlove

Who the hell said its a collaboration?

Last i heard MCA is an Indian project and it's an official project , whereas lmfs is not even an official project.

Does anybody have any credible info that says that it is or will become a joint project?

Agantrope

Simply Russians are celebrating chirstmas in our cost. But the legible thing would be ADA and MiG are 50-50 partners in the design aspect.
by the way is this a real program or something like K-100 Novator??

lodaxstax

Lets not involve russians in this. they have been supportive and have provided high tech when none did.

I think partnering with MiG would be a good thing as it would give greater exposure to our engineers to 5th Gen technologies ( this is where GoI should demand more bang for buck vis-a-vis tech sharing from russians). It will be a quantum leap and in quick time so we wont have to re invent the wheel.

The heart of the Jingo still flutters for pure desi products thou...would love MCA flying with full indigenous tri color on all parts, nuts and bolts.

ppgj

Simply Russians are celebrating chirstmas in our cost.
it does not work like that. russia needs capital which india provides. india needs technology and experience which russia provides. so it is mutual and a good one at that.

But the legible thing would be ADA and MiG are 50-50 partners in the design aspect.
MCA/NGFA basic design is already there. there was a wind tunnel model too. it may change too but with LCA experience and FGFA experience, indian designers will be able to do NGFA by themselves apart from the factors i mentioned in an earlier post.

notinlove

MCA/NGFA basic design is already there. there was a wind tunnel model too. it may change too but with LCA experience and FGFA experience, indian designers will be able to do NGFA by themselves apart from the factors i mentioned in an earlier post.
MCA is supposed to be stealth , but india doesn't have any experience with RAM , any idea where we plan to get that tech from?

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles