Light weight Web Browser for fast search and reading ?

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Guys,

I use Mozilla Firefox almost all the time, it has nice features and plugins, I am satisfied with its over all performance, but still it takes some time to start up using 100% CPU usage. I need a web browser which may appear within 2 seconds of click and ready to search using less CPU resources, I don't want to use such browser for video watching or multimedia purposes, but it must have tabs, I intend to use that browser for just reading purpose since I do not need flash support for that. I'll keep Firefox as my main browser.

So do you have any suggestion ?

For some idea :- http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/alternative-windows-web-browsers/

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-web-browser-lightweight.htm

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ers-free-lightweight-and-low-maintenance.html

I can download any browser and test it, but it'll take 100s of MBs of data, so it's better to ask users who have used it, hence asking, Please suggest which lightweight browser you prefer for reading purposes ?!

@ersakthivel @asingh10 @pmaitra @maomao @OneGrimPilgrim @saty @rock127 @Mad Indian
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad @alphacentury @roma @Screambowl @punjab47
@Rowdy @flamboyant @Dreamhunter @Blackwater @VIP @prasadr14 @anoop_mig25
@I_PLAY_BAD @Kharavela @AnantS @Detective Pennington @vayuu1 @Kshatriya87
@Abhijat @A chauhan @Alien @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @blueblood @brational @ @Bangalorean @Blackwater @bose @cobra commando @DingDong @DFI_COAS @ersakthivel @gpawar @hit&run @jackprince @Kharavela @Illusive @I_PLAY_BAD @LETHALFORCE @Lions Of Punjab @Rashna @kafir kaur
@Razor @raja696 @sydsnyper @Srinivas_K @sorcerer @Simple_Guy @wickedone @tarunraju @TrueSpirit2 @mikhail @Vishwarupa @Varahamihira

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
I have switched to Chrome about 3 years ago and except for a few hiccups at the very beginning I didn't have any complain till date. I also used to be a avid Mozilla user, but chrome is as easy and as user-friendly, and to my delight much lighter than Firefox. You may try it.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Lynx FTW.

aliyah

chrome is faster but if u need for reading then try UC browser is has a night mode reading surfing is less painfull for eyes

Srinivas_K

Country flag
Google Chrome, This loads quick and works well on Windows.

A chauhan

Country flag
@A chauhan Is this for windows?
Yeah, I am on Windows !
@sorcerer I use both the OS Linus & Windows, but currently mostly on Windows.

Errr..Mozilla is good on Linux platforms..it works awesomely fine at my end.

If you are using Debian flavor theres some text only based browser which runs from terminal is very light..fast and secure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_lightweight_web_browsers

Text only stable browser .it works on most OSes
http://lynx.browser.org/

http://midori-browser.org/
Perhaps Lynx doesn't support tabs ?

A chauhan

Country flag
Sorry guys I downloaded and installed Lynx but I am :scared2:
actually I want Chrome like look and speed like Lynx :)

Should I try Qupzilla ?

Lol I tried Avant Browser Jan 2016 build and DFI forum main page showed this "

"You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser."

Same with SlimBrowser.

Last edited:

A chauhan

Country flag
Trying Maxthon and Midori now, will tell you after using them.

@pmaitra @LETHALFORCE

I get this message on some browsers :-
"You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser."

And alternative browser link takes you to Google Chrome, is this message a suggestion by DFI or such browsers are really out of date ? :confused1:

A chauhan

Country flag
I too have tried many browsers . chrome works fine and is an all rounder .
Actually I have tried Chrome, Opera and others but almost a year or 2 years back. I want to try something quicker and lighter, off course if nothing satisfies me I'll start using Chrome.

As of now Maxthon looking good ! will try Midori after it.

bose

Country flag
try out Google Chrome... it is fast and I use it the most...

A chauhan

Country flag
Ok, Avante Browser, SlimBrowser were crap, they were quick to start but slow while surfing, DFI page took 17-20 seconds to get fully loaded on them, so uninstalled.

Installed and kept Maxthon and Chrome along-with Firefox, others were simply crap. Since they took much time in opening the web pages, while I wanted a quick browser.

Chrome and Firefox the are fastest (even after FF is heavily loaded). Maxthon is also appreciable, testing it.

Chrome having "search by Voice" looking nice. :)

Last edited:

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Chrome is a battery killer and if you open lots of tabs, it hangs the system like hell. FF is awesome, I know people don't use IE anymore but newer versions are good, don't try Edge right now as it's buggy as hell but for formal use, you can give it a shot. Opera is also good as it uses blink of chrome so, choice is yours.

Gessler

Country flag
@A chauhan If you want Chrome-like layout & extensions, then I suggest Torch browser. Been using it for over 5 years - real goddamn fast for me (40mbps connection & a system with 16gb RAM is what I've got). You should definitely try it.

http://torchbrowser.com/

This browser has the additional Media Grabber feature. You can directly download whatever video or music is playing on your current page. Even from Youtube. It also has an inbuilt Torrenting application - all the pirate-friendly stuff in one place! :cool3:

...unless you already have uTorrent. Then stick with it.

punjab47

महाबलामहावीर्यामहासत्यपराक्रमासर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट
Banned
I use chrome on mobile just because I like the new lollipop task switcher tab integration.

Otherwise Uc browser.

For pc, I use Firefox nightly & Comodo Dragon which is secure version of chromium.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
Well both FF and chrome are tool slow on my legacy system and hell they get hanged on if i open too much tabs.

I would like to see how torch browser works .let see @Gessler

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles