Light weight Web Browser for fast search and reading ?

harsh

Country flag
On PC crome is best......
for mobile I tried every browser but at last settle for dolphin. .. it is light and fast even faster then UC

I_PLAY_BAD

Except Internet Explorer all else can be used for simple surfing, browsing and multimedia.

Kshatriya87

Country flag
Guys,

I use Mozilla Firefox almost all the time, it has nice features and plugins, I am satisfied with its over all performance, but still it takes some time to start up using 100% CPU usage. I need a web browser which may appear within 2 seconds of click and ready to search using less CPU resources, I don't want to use such browser for video watching or multimedia purposes, but it must have tabs, I intend to use that browser for just reading purpose since I do not need flash support for that. I'll keep Firefox as my main browser.

So do you have any suggestion ?

For some idea :- http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/alternative-windows-web-browsers/

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-web-browser-lightweight.htm

http://www.computerworld.com/articl...ers-free-lightweight-and-low-maintenance.html

I can download any browser and test it, but it'll take 100s of MBs of data, so it's better to ask users who have used it, hence asking, Please suggest which lightweight browser you prefer for reading purposes ?!

@ersakthivel @asingh10 @pmaitra @maomao @OneGrimPilgrim @saty @rock127 @Mad Indian
@Sakal Gharelu Ustad @alphacentury @roma @Screambowl @punjab47
@Rowdy @flamboyant @Dreamhunter @Blackwater @VIP @prasadr14 @anoop_mig25
@I_PLAY_BAD @Kharavela @AnantS @Detective Pennington @vayuu1 @Kshatriya87
@Abhijat @A chauhan @Alien @Ancient Indian @anupamsurey @blueblood @brational @ @Bangalorean @Blackwater @bose @cobra commando @DingDong @DFI_COAS @ersakthivel @gpawar @hit&run @jackprince @Kharavela @Illusive @I_PLAY_BAD @LETHALFORCE @Lions Of Punjab @Rashna @kafir kaur
@Razor @raja696 @sydsnyper @Srinivas_K @sorcerer @Simple_Guy @wickedone @tarunraju @TrueSpirit2 @mikhail @Vishwarupa @Varahamihira
Mozilla looks light weight but takes up a lot of memory. Go to task manager/processes and you will see. It slows the other applications down. I would prefer chrome or safari anytime.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
Mozilla looks light weight but takes up a lot of memory. Go to task manager/processes and you will see. It slows the other applications down. I would prefer chrome or safari anytime.
In my experience chrome takes up more memory than FF.
:hmm:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I compared. Firefox takes up a lot of memory once we open a few tabs. Sometimes hangs.
I have over 3 dozen tabs open now and FF is taking up 1.2/1.3 GB.
If I were to open 3 dozen tabs in chrome, it'd ve crashed, I think.
Also, if I'm not mistaken each tab/addon etc is a separate process in chrome, so in task manager you might see dozens of chrome processes whcih you'll have to add up to find how much chrome is eating.

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I don't know why but FF (loaded with few addons) in my PC is running faster than Chrome (unloaded) !!? :confused1:

Panjab47

सर्वाग्रेक्षत्रियाजट्टादेवकल्पादृढ़व्रता|੧੫|
Banned
My brother phone with uc dls at 50kbs despite being on 2g which is capped at 18.

Spikes up to 75 avg probably 22-27 maybe into 30s 40s. Available on desktop too,

A chauhan

Country flag
Lynx browser. As lightweight as it can get lol.

I am unable to get that work in my pc :sad: weird characters appearing and can't understand how to get to google ?

anupamsurey

Country flag
I was a FF fan, but since past 8 days it hangs my entire system on startup. so i had to uninstall it. right now i am using chrome and chromium.
i dont know what problems you have with all chrome browsers, but it is perhaps the best. my inbuilt Edge in Windows 10 is also buggy. so best is to use chrome or chromium. can try Opera too.
but for lightning fast stuff you can use portable versions.

A chauhan

Country flag
I was a FF fan, but since past 8 days it hangs my entire system on startup. so i had to uninstall it. right now i am using chrome and chromium.
i dont know what problems you have with all chrome browsers, but it is perhaps the best. my inbuilt Edge in Windows 10 is also buggy. so best is to use chrome or chromium. can try Opera too.
but for lightning fast stuff you can use portable versions.
Did you try cleaning your system before uninstalling FF ?

Whenever my FF behaves abnormal I just "Clear recent History..." then use this tool http://www.hiren.info/downloads/freeware-tools/cleanup for cleaning the pc and somehow it makes my pc & browser faster.

Chrome also is fast but I don't know why it loads webpages slower than FF in my pc.

anupamsurey

Country flag
yes i did clean up using system mechanic.but i didnt clean my browser history.will give a try once i install mozilla.

AnantS

Country flag
Try using Ghostery to ward off unwanted heavy flashy/social-media/video ads on webpage(for chrome or FF). Try to have minimum add-ons on browser. Avoid opening multiple tabs of multimedia streaming, say youtube, as you have only pair of eyes and ears :). At max two should be ok, so that you watch one part while other buffers. If not in use, avoid keeping open your facebook page in a tab. If not in use for long, then close it and reopen it - when want to visit again. Same with youtube, once a video is seen close the tab, if not planning to see another vid. In this world of hyperlinks , when in flow(say in reading an article in gizmodo/engadget etc), opening of multiple redundant tabs is unavoidable. So remember closing them when not in use(Better bookmark before you close imp ones).
The above things make little easier with any browser like chrome and ff usable.

Nuvneet Kundu

Just use Chrome, go to settings > Content > Disable Javascript. Everything will be fast after that. Just add exceptions where necessary.

A chauhan

Country flag
Just use Chrome, go to settings > Content > Disable Javascript. Everything will be fast after that. Just add exceptions where necessary.
Hey it's a cool hack, thanks Nuvneet, now Chrome and DFI are light fast :)

I disabled Javascript in Firefox too :biggrin2: FF too is fast now, thanks !

Last edited:

Nuvneet Kundu

Hey it's a cool hack, thanks Nuvneet, now Chrome and DFI are light fast :)

I disabled Javascript in Firefox too :biggrin2: FF too is fast now, thanks !
disabling of JS will render certain fancy features on some websites unusable. All the animated drop down menus and animated comment section and basically all animated stuff requires JS so if you find that the notification bar or comment section of any website is not loading, simply activate JS on that site. There is a setting within Chrome to add exceptions for sites which require JS to function. The Disqus type comment section requires JS. I never comment on any other news website so it's a boon for me to keep JS switched off. Not to mention, all advertisements disappear if Javascript is off. That's what adds to the speed of browsing. I switch JS off and use AdBlock extension and everything works fine.

A chauhan

Country flag
disabling of JS will render certain fancy features on some websites unusable. All the animated drop down menus and animated comment section and basically all animated stuff requires JS so if you find that the notification bar or comment section of any website is not loading, simply activate JS on that site. There is a setting within Chrome to add exceptions for sites which require JS to function. The Disqus type comment section requires JS. I never comment on any other news website so it's a boon for me to keep JS switched off. Not to mention, all advertisements disappear if Javascript is off. That's what adds to the speed of browsing. I switch JS off and use AdBlock extension and everything works fine.
Who wants to comment on random sites ? so it's a feature which I am ready to sacrifice at my pleasure :)

Ok now I also have installed Ad Block Plus.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles