Light tanks for Indian Army

Fatalis

Country flag
Wait wtf is this? So they are going to split this 350 odd requirement between ~60 for DRDO and 295 for some as yet unknown design from private players? What the hell are these guys smoking? Who will design an entirely new tank for less than 300 units? Why should DRDO invest all this for just 60 units?

Why not green light the DRDO design then outsource production to private players like with WhAP and DRDO?

The IA are some corrupt mfers, leaving the back door open to imports and foreign kickbacks as usual
I think, here the culprits are not only IA but also the private players. They will be protesting for a fairer RFP, bidding process and all. Even though one or other player is already associated with some DRDO program but still they want to maximize on profits. That's why you are seeing something like this.

As SJha already said, "Begun, the Corporate War has"

abingdonboy

Country flag
I think, here the culprits are not only IA but also the private players. They will be protesting for a fairer RFP, bidding process and all. Even though one or other player is already associated with some DRDO program but still they want to maximize on profits. That's why you are seeing something like this.

As SJha already said, "Begun, the Corporate War has"
Why didn’t they just do a ATAGS/WhAP? Outsource production/validation to the private sector with a DRDO design

this process sounds too complex in an Indian setting and doomed to fail from the outset

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Why didn’t they just do a ATAGS/WhAP? Outsource production/validation to the private sector with a DRDO design

this process sounds too complex in an Indian setting and doomed to fail from the outset
It's meant to fail, the army and import lobby are literally gasping for the dollah accompanied by lucrative foreign weapons deals.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
1000%. I’ve never read a set of conditions that are more obviously designed to lead to failure. I mean WTF:

I don't understand one thing Singh ji, you are many years wiser than myself about these military procurement procedure .
I am 20, I was in class 6th when tata rolled out its own spg with a denel gun , I remember the day I could not concentrate on anything apart from that gun, not in school not at home, do you think army has come in line as far its gsqr is concerned after 2014 ?
Because I remember a word called as a "single vendor situation " used on BRF and DFI, I wonder that if somehow as SJha is saying, the army restricts its light tank to drdo and Larsen tubro product, does that amount to single vendor situation?

abingdonboy

Country flag
I don't understand one thing Singh ji, you are many years wiser than myself about these military procurement procedure .
I am 20, I was in class 6th when tata rolled out its own spg with a denel gun , I remember the day I could not concentrate on anything apart from that gun, not in school not at home, do you think army has come in line as far its gsqr is concerned after 2014 ?
Because I remember a word called as a "single vendor situation " used on BRF and DFI, I wonder that if somehow as SJha is saying, the army restricts its light tank to drdo and Larsen tubro product, does that amount to single vendor situation?
They are just playing the same games for the same reasons, 2014 hasn’t changed anything other than they need to be creative in some aspects.

single vendor doesn’t apply to the DRDO-L&T cutout but could apply when/if other private players think it’s uneconomical to design a light tank just for <300 units for the Make-1 bid.

WolfPack86

Country flag
Zorawar Light Tank: Kalyani Group to enter race, compete with DRDO
The government may grant permission to the Kalyani Group to go ahead with its plans although the company – which has previously collaborated with American General Dynamics Land Systems – is yet to disclose its partner in this process

New Delhi:
The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) may have to face a new competitor in the race to build a new light tank for the Indian Army.

The Kalyani Group may enter the race to build 354 light weight tanks for the Indian Army.

This may pose a challenge for the DRDO, which is working on a prototype for a light tank in collaboration with Larsen & Toubro (L&T) as part of Project Zorawar.

Accroding to a report by Indian Defence Research Wing (IDRW), the prototype developed jointly by the DRDO and L&T is expected to undergo mobility trials after its launch later this year.

The government may grant permission to the Kalyani Group to go ahead with its plans although the company – which has previously collaborated with American General Dynamics Land Systems – is yet to disclose its partner in this process.

American General Dynamics Land Systems has extensive experience in defence production, having previously developed a Mobile Protected Firepower vehicle, which is basically a light tank since it is an armoured, turreted and tracked vehicle with a large gun.

The Kalyani Group has given rise to speculations of a possible collaboration with Turkish military vehicle manufacturer Otokar Otomotiv ve Savunma Sanayi as documents made public by the company feature the TULPAR Light Tank developed by the Turkey based group.

However, it is not clear whether the image of the TULPAR Light Tank used by the Kalyani Group in its documents was for representational purposes or if it is actually trying for a collaboration with the Turkish defence manufacturer.

pipebomb

Country flag
If DRDO has learned anything from arjun saga, they should utilise this opportunity/funds for light tank to develop a 120mm smooth bore gun,autoloader and ammo and standardised it for future FRCV. It will massively help to de-risk FRCV.

Difference between light tank and FRCV should be engine, chassis and bustle magazine capacity and rest (gun system, ammo,firing system,optics/thermals, active/passive self protection) should be standardised.
And most of the above mentioned items can be developed/funded under light tank program.

Let me play a devil's advocate for some perspective and say 'what about weight,cost, timeframe?'.
So are we saying a 28t or 30t tank won't be able to to compete against type 99,96 or 15 at Tibetan plateau ? Also do remember 25t is an arbitrary/approx number not like some payload limit of an aircraft or rocket.
'cost and timeframe'? Come on now 🤭😂. l think we can live with another DRDO's late over budget program. That shouldn't be a question.

Joydeepghosh1976

Country flag

Anandhu Krishna

They are just playing the same games for the same reasons, 2014 hasn’t changed anything other than they need to be creative in some aspects.

single vendor doesn’t apply to the DRDO-L&T cutout but could apply when/if other private players think it’s uneconomical to design a light tank just for <300 units for the Make-1 bid.
Private players are just going to do Screwdrivergiri (Kalyani) with foreign products. Army and babus get kickbacks, Private company gets orders. Government gets to say that they ordered from Indian company.

We end up paying for 2 different designs for 350 units. They are going to do logistics for that at LAC. What a joke.

Blademaster

Private players are just going to do Screwdrivergiri (Kalyani) with foreign products. Army and babus get kickbacks, Private company gets orders. Government gets to say that they ordered from Indian company.

We end up paying for 2 different designs for 350 units. They are going to do logistics for that at LAC. What a joke.
Got any proof that Kalyani is engaging in screwdrivergiri? He is manufacturing barrels which is the most important part. Also I think he is also producing engines from scratch in India.

Anandhu Krishna

Got any proof that Kalyani is engaging in screwdrivergiri? He is manufacturing barrels which is the most important part. Also I think he is also producing engines from scratch in India.
Most of their defence products are Screwdrivergiri.

Last edited:

Blademaster

Is it really screwdrivergiri if Kalyani manufactures all the parts under license and assembles them?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles