'Life's a roller-coaster, never lose hope'

enlightened1

Member of The Month JANUARY 2010

MUMBAI: For 41-year-old Karambir Singh Kang, general manager of the Taj, who lost his wife Neeti and sons Uday (14) and Samar (5) when terrorists attacked the hotel last year, work has been the greatest healer. "I keep myself as busy as I can. It's like a 24-hour job. I go home just to sleep," he says.:cray::cray:

Kang, who lived with his family in the hotel for a year subsequent to becoming GM in 2007, moved out after the tragedy to an apartment in nearby Cuffe Parade. His Mohali-based parents moved in with him briefly to help him set up home and cope with the terrible tragedy. "But they have their own life; it's unfair to expect them to stay here," he says, composed even as he talks about his turbulent personal journey.

Kang says that events like the terror attack change one's perspective on life and force introspection. "You tend to take things for granted but one day realise that nothing in life is permanent. Hoteliers especially take their families for granted," he says, his eyes welling up. Composing himself, he continues: "Now I'm taking each day as it comes. You have to find some purpose in life. For me it was important to stay back at least till the entire hotel becomes operational."

Kang, a graduate in economics with a marketing diploma, joined the Taj group in 1991 as a fresher in the sales and marketing department. After stints in Delhi and Lucknow, he moved to Mumbai as the GM of Taj Lands' End at Bandra and then to the flagship hotel and largest revenue generator of the Taj Group.

Kang met his wife Neeti while he was posted at Taj Delhi; she was then working in the sales and marketing department in Taj Jaipur. Later, Neeti gave up her job to devote her attention to her kids.

When the terrorists stormed the hotel, Kang was at Taj Lands' End. He immediately rushed back after receiving the news and took charge of the situation.

Colleagues and friends, who've seen Kang battle his personal crisis from close quarters, say that he has shown phenomenal strength by picking up the pieces and moving on. "Life is a roller-coaster, full of ups and downs," he concurs. "What's important is not to lose faith and hope." :icon_salut::icon_salut::icon_salut::goodstuff:

prahladh

Respected Member
The thing here is the roller-coaster crashed midway and he can't do anything to ensure that the same thing doesn't happen again somewhere, sometime.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles