Lessons Learned.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Royal Military Excercise where an Young Cadet was given command of a platoon to test out what he has learned.

His orders, to save his platoon anyway and everyway he can.

Excerise start, the young LT was told that his position was no longer tenable and that his brigade has in fact collapsed.

Nevertheless, the young LT proceeded with the mission as best he could. He divised 4 fall back position and 3 escape routes.

But at the end, he lost his platoon. During eval, as part of course, he was asked what he did wrong. The young LT listed everything he thought he did wrong but when pressed, nothing he did individually nor combined was wrong.

So, why did the platoon died?

I did not surrender.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
When your left in an untenable position, surrender to live another day and fight another war??

Officer of Engineers

Professional
I think you've misunderstood, Yusuf. The safety of well being of your men comes before your honour.

Would you sacrifice 32 men for the sake of honour or surrender and live with the shame so that your 32 men can live?

This being said, the choice was taken from you from the start. The orders were to make sure your platoon lives.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Sir,

If the explicit orders are to save your ass no matter what, then i think you would do that.
In a battle situation if you have to hold your post no matter what, then you would fight till the last man standing.

But since you have put this thread in the suggestion and feedback section, i get what you are trying to hint. Will stop at that.

Officer of Engineers

Professional
Actually, the point was when NOT to fight to the last man ... and that is an extremely hard lesson that I want all to consider.

In my ex, I was gvien the explicit order ... which I refused and fought to the last man.

However, it would seemed you miss my message. Would you ever have consider surrender? I didn't.

And it took this exercise for me to consider it in the future.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Surrender is something that doesnt come to mind for a combatant, does it? You want to win at all cost and put yourself in harms way.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles