LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Flying Dagger

Country flag
No, comparing Tejas with Rafale and F-16 is definitely not their insult. Their is commonality in the core technologies -

Design - Unstable with Relaxed Static Stabiliy
Flight controls - Quadruplux Digital Fly by Wire
Make - Composite airframe, Tejas has highest in the world
Cockpit - Glass cockpit with 100% digital system
Avionics - League about IAF's existing fleet with some degree of sensor fusion, along with AESA radar and data link.
EW suite - Yes
Maintainability- Easy
Semi Stealth - Yes
Air to Air refuelling - Yes
g limits : +8.5G/-3.5G
Upcoming weapons package on the mk1A - Astra, Asraam, BrahMos, Rudram, HAMMER, etc...no words!

And all this is offered at 42mil$ which is 1/3rd the cost of Rafale FR3 or less than 1/2 the cost of the latest F-16 variants.

Coming to FA-50

Design concept - Stable
Flight controls - Triplex Fly by Wire
Make - All metal
Cockpit and Avionics - a pilot can access better . However no AESA, not even tested as of yet.
EW suite - Not tested
Maintainability - Many grounded.
Air to air refuelling - No
G limits -+8G/-3G
Semi Stealth - No
Upcoming weapons - AIM-120 (currently doesn even have BVR capability)

And after all that, both are similarly priced.

And since both are similarly priced, i can compare other basic features like -
Weapons carrying capacity, Range, Speed, Thrust to Weight Ratio, service ceiling, etc......Tejas triumphs in every department.
I mean FA-50 can carry just one 600 L drop tank under its belly. Tejas can carry 2 x 1200 and 1 x 700 L. Lol.

Rafale can carry more fuel externally and internally travel far more deploy more weapons and what not.

Stop this bs..

I have seen countless of these copy paste post . 🙂

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
A dumb question: Can a MK1B be designed with 2x Dry Kaveri and conformal fuel tank for maritime training and backup fighter role?? The main area of concern, even if 50% payload deployment is achieved with LCA Navy, will be the range.
No. Designing a new jet will be simpler than the associated rework.

rohit b3

Country flag
Rafale can carry more fuel externally and internally travel far more deploy more weapons and what not.

Stop this bs..

I have seen countless of these copy paste post . 🙂
yeah and thats why Rafale costs 3x to buy and 3x to operate.
you will keep reading this "copy paste" posts because those are factual specs and numbers. You call spade a spade, right? u dont say thats "copy paste"

silverghost

Country flag
Delivery of the first jet 3 years from the date of the contract signature is the standard world over.
I didn't see members make a hue and cry about the delivery of the first Rafale in September 2019, a full 3 years after the contract was signed in September 2016.
India is not the only customer of Rafale. It delivered 25 Rafales in the year 2021.

abingdonboy

Country flag
The second half of 2024 is about two years from now. The whole thing is being done at such a languid pace. By 2024, China would have manufactured at least 100 J10 D.
Then you should have ordered more and earlier too.

why did IAF only go for 83 and that too after haggling over the price for 2+ years only to settle basically on the terms HAL had first proposed?

production quantity follows order quantity.

The first MK1A will be delivered within 36 months of contract signature (March 2021) and all 83 will be delivered within 5 years of the first delivery. This is perfectly in line with global norms.

IAF and GoI are fully to blame for this sh!tshow and this is only the first chapter. Their unrealistic demand for the 114 gold plated MRFA will have the same effect on the LCA MK.2- they are going to order too few of them very late in the day

abingdonboy

Country flag
Delivery of the first jet 3 years from the date of the contract signature is the standard world over.
I didn't see members make a hue and cry about the delivery of the first Rafale in September 2019, a full 3 years after the contract was signed in September 2016.
The first Apaches were were actually delivered almost a year late (signed in 2015, delivered in 2019) to the IAF, I didn’t see a single criticism of this at the time or since but the LCA’s timelines get criticised nonstop

sakalasiva

Country flag
Tejas Mk1A to get Uttam FCR with Higher TRM than Originally Planned . That Alpha defence youtube channel was also claiming tejas mk1a will get Aesa with 912 tr modules .

Is radar became more power efficient, with the same power plant how come radar can able to work with higher tr modules than initially expected one with power limitations accounted. I really doubt this news.

Defcon 1

Country flag
Then you should have ordered more and earlier too.

why did IAF only go for 83 and that too after haggling over the price for 2+ years only to settle basically on the terms HAL had first proposed?

production quantity follows order quantity.

The first MK1A will be delivered within 36 months of contract signature (March 2021) and all 83 will be delivered within 5 years of the first delivery. This is perfectly in line with global norms.

IAF and GoI are fully to blame for this sh!tshow and this is only the first chapter. Their unrealistic demand for the 114 gold plated MRFA will have the same effect on the LCA MK.2- they are going to order too few of them very late in the day
You forget that 2+ years of delay was not just because of price, but because HAL's response to RFP was non compliant as well:

I think the core problem is lack of a single owner. We should have a Tejas CEO, a high ranking beaurucrat within MOD whose job is to ensure Tejas's timely induction into IAF

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles