LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
I thought Hammer was a range extension kit and guidance kit.
I couldn't come with any information it has a rocket motor.
As far as I know, Hammer ("Armament Air-Sol Modulaire") doesn't have any kind of rocket propulsion to it. Hammer is a bomb kit which turns an unguided munition into a guided one. Both SAAW and Hammer don't use any rocket propulsion, they only glide to their respective targets.
-:-

Hammer is a range extension kit, it doesn't have a rocket motor to it.
475FE3DF-06C4-4793-9941-204CFCB58B31.jpeg

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
"Integrated propulsion system"? If this article is to be taken as truth than that would mean that there is a propulsion system variant of Hammer as well. But I myself have checked several pictures of "Hammer" and none of them seem to be having any kind of Rocket motor/propulsion system at the back of the extension kit. If there is a photo of Hammer with any type of propulsion system than please post it here.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
"Integrated propulsion system"? If this article is to be taken as truth than that would mean that there is a propulsion system variant of Hammer as well. But I myself have checked several pictures of "Hammer" and none of them seem to be having any kind of Rocket motor/propulsion system at the back of the extension kit. If there is a photo of Hammer with any type of propulsion system than please post it here.
Are you seriously questioning the article? It’s from the HAMMER’s manufacturer 😂

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Also all variants are propelled by a solid motor booster, the 1000lb variant from the SAFRAN press release has an upgraded variant giving it the extra extended range.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Propulsion

The propulsion system is fitted at the rear of the missile and consists of a solid rocket motor and four winglets for flight control.

karn

Country flag
Can't wait to see this beauty flying. i am more interested to see the aerodynamic improvements, weight reduction , improvement in ITR, STR etc. AESA , EW are already working very well on Jaguar, Mig 29 etc. so no big issue. .
You will be dissapointed .. the only thing other than the new radar and electronics is ease of maintenance.
For aerodynamic improvement gotta wait for mk2.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
BrahMos-NG is a mini version based on the existing BrahMos, will have same range and mach 3.5 speed but it will weigh around 1.5 tons, 5 metres in length and 50 cm in diameter, making BrahMos-NG 50 percent lighter and three metres shorter than its predecessor.
Primary focus of BrahMos-NG is weight and size reduction. Speed increase is not the the focus.
How can the half of the weight missile may have same range? Existing Brahmos range is increased to 600 km. Brahmos NG will use different fuel. The latest update is the figures I have quoted. Earlier, it was planned with 290 km range with 3.5 mach speed. Specifications have changed now. Now it will be a 400 km + range missile with 4.5 mach speed.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
You will be dissapointed .. the only thing other than the new radar and electronics is ease of maintenance.
For aerodynamic improvement gotta wait for mk2.
I don't think so. Let us wait. It is not too far. We shall come to know it in few months once it takes first flight.

MonaLazy

How can the half of the weight missile may have same range? Existing Brahmos range is increased to 600 km. Brahmos NG will use different fuel. The latest update is the figures I have quoted. Earlier, it was planned with 290 km range with 3.5 mach speed. Specifications have changed now. Now it will be a 400 km + range missile with 4.5 mach speed.
On NG vs vanilla Brahmos please see this link:

Lethal and precise, the BrahMos NG is smaller in size and weight as compared to the original missile. It weighs 1.6 tonnes and is 6 metres long; the earlier version weighed 3 tonnes and was 9 metres long. The missile has a range of 290 km and a speed of up to 3.5 Mach. BrahMos NG has a lesser radar cross section (RCS) compared to the earlier missile, which would make it tougher for air defence systems to locate and engage the target. The new missile will also have an indigenously developed and manufactured seeker. While the earlier missile, BrahMos PJ-10 has mechanically scanned radar, the BrahMos NG will have an AESA radar.

The original range of this missile was 290 km due to limitations of the Missile Technology Control Regime (MTCR). It was after India became a part of the MTCR group, did the range extend to 450 km and can be further extended by 600 km.

BrahMos NG is a multi-platform, multi-target and light-weight weapon system, making it perfect for the battlefield. The reduction in size has happened after mechanical components in the missile were replaced with electrical components.
Both appear to be more or less the same missile with only the bulkier mechanical components (radar included) replaced by lightweight electricals which is the reason for size reduction. NG will have variants for IAF, IN & IA.

johnj

I thought Hammer was a range extension kit and guidance kit.
I couldn't come with any information it has a rocket motor.
yes, from articles range extension kit uses rocket motor. Hammer is not a glide bomb, means it need a boot to reach 70km, or it range similar to jdam.

johnj

As far as I know, Hammer ("Armament Air-Sol Modulaire") doesn't have any kind of rocket propulsion to it. Hammer is a bomb kit which turns an unguided munition into a guided one. Both SAAW and Hammer don't use any rocket propulsion, they only glide to their respective targets.
-:-

Hammer is a range extension kit, it doesn't have a rocket motor to it.
SAAW having glide wings and I don't seen glide wings in Hammer, and all long range bombs having glide wings, putting question mark on aasm max range, and wiki and majority of articles says its range extension kit having motor booster.
Anyone having more info about aasm range extension kit.

Articles