LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Covfefe

Country flag

Chinmoy

Country flag
i wanted to ask if this capability of radar would be separate from their ew suite?
Yes.

if ew suite will work separately it means that radar acts as additional ew component ? any expert here
RADAR can't replace E/W suite and vice versa. Radar in itself would have minimum limited E/W capability.

SARTHAK

Country flag
Yes.

RADAR can't replace E/W suite and vice versa. Radar in itself would have minimum limited E/W capability.
yes that is what i wanted to know, replacement of course is not possible, this capability is known to be in f35,gripen and typhoon was being upgraded to have "electronic attack" enabled radar, rafale also has it probably as hushkit interview i was talking about was of rafale ----
excerpt from interview --
Does it have aggressive jamming or hacking modes? Can you explain this more.

We will not comment this.

Chinmoy

Country flag
yes that is what i wanted to know, replacement of course is not possible, this capability is known to be in f35,gripen and typhoon was being upgraded to have "electronic attack" enabled radar, rafale also has it probably as hushkit interview i was talking about was of rafale ----
excerpt from interview --
Does it have aggressive jamming or hacking modes? Can you explain this more.

We will not comment this.
How aggressive an onboard AESA RADAR could act as E/W component is not something which anyone could say for sure.

As far as Hack mode is concerned, yes, a receiver of AESA radar could single out receiving frequency and make you aware of it. But again it would not be as effective as a broadband jammer.

SARTHAK

Country flag
How aggressive an onboard AESA RADAR could act as E/W component is not something which anyone could say for sure.

As far as Hack mode is concerned, yes, a receiver of AESA radar could single out receiving frequency and make you aware of it. But again it would not be as effective as a broadband jammer.
i don't know if it is hoax ,pr stunt or something else but i also heard that due to its powerful radar f35 can use radar as dew weapon though it is highly unlikely as power required to be effective as dew weapon is much more

Covfefe

Country flag
They are cheaper than the Israeli spice and french wala. Plus they'll demonstrate the integration for marketing purpose mostly- any country looking for LIFT kind of platform western weapons Integrated is an add on

THESIS THORON

Country flag
i don't know if it is hoax ,pr stunt or something else but i also heard that due to its powerful radar f35 can use radar as dew weapon though it is highly unlikely as power required to be effective as dew weapon is much more
same thing, I have heard for su30 mki, "its radar can fry electronics" :fyeah:

johnj

They are cheaper than the Israeli spice and french wala. Plus they'll demonstrate the integration for marketing purpose mostly- any country looking for LIFT kind of platform western weapons Integrated is an add on
Export, good. Jdam cheaper but not accurate compared to spice and hammer, and not powered like french ones and spice version. We don't trust gps, hence use russian, irnss etc

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
Yes, it is a mystery as to why the production rate of the Tejas is so low.
Even the Pakistanis produce more JF17 every year.
Anybody have figures on the production rate of the Mig21. I am sure the same HAL produced much more.

I am sure we can do much better than 8 or 12 per year. The Tejas mk1 has reached maturity and is fit for production. There is a suspicion that probably we don't want to depend on US engines what with their reputation for sanctions and embargoes.

I anticipate an spurt in Tejas production once our Kaveri engine or its indigenous replacement comes along. But our GTRE seems to be stuck on the Kaveri programme.

The silver lining is that capability enhancements are taking place on the Tejas even while production moves at snails pace. Addition of IFR, Ext JP, SDR, refinement of the control laws, Aesa radar, new Bvr missiles being certified etc.
The Production speed of any aircraft will depend on how large the order given is! For example if a "jet A" gets an order of 200 than its production speed will be more per year as compared to a "Jet B" with 100 orders only etc.

Initially order was given for 40 MK-1 but HAL was Manufacturing Them at a rate of like 6-8 per year which is good enough. You cannot expect HAL to just ramp up the Production speed and produce like 15-20 jets per year for such a small order of 40 MK-1! Also if we increase production speed than there might be some cost escalations and per unit cost of each jet might increase (I may be wrong about this part).

Tejas MK-1A will have be produced in batches of 16-24 per year with 8 being produced the 1st year than second year 16 will be made and after that HAL will start churning out 20+ per year and Mk-1A order will be completed latest by 2029.

And I end by saying this for the last time: bigger the order! , more the production speed per year!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles