LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

johnj

Can you please elaborate your point.

Yes Mig 25 were our spy plane for reconnaissance mission since no other fighter jet could fly that high and engage then. They were fast interceptors for Soviet who needed it but not much for dogfight.
During the time of decommission of mig 25 or after that iaf spoke officer said to newspaper when question raised about mig 25 - iaf don't need mig 25 becz it role can be done by satellites. Just in one sentence and nothing more, nothing about mig 31.
Russia/USSR you are right, nothing to say.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Can we expect improvement in flight envelope, drag reduction in mk1a compared to mk1foc. How will weight reduction affect aircraft
Doubt much weight reduction will happen its essentially the same but offcourse there will be better finishing and iteration onwards as the production smoothline itself .

Main difference will be more Indian component and avionics.

sakalasiva

Country flag
Doubt much weight reduction will happen its essentially the same but offcourse there will be better finishing and iteration onwards as the production smoothline itself .

Main difference will be more Indian component and avionics.
I heard that over engineered components weight will be reduced and overall it will be around 500 kg. It's not the case?

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I heard that over engineered components weight will be reduced and overall it will be around 500 kg. It's not the case?

You mean landing gears... Well there will be avionics components etc that will be placed so overall weight reduction will negate itself if there is some shedding good but not much is expected.

Though 800 kg around was the target I don't expect much.

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
We can do the same with our Flanker... No need to shell out additional money for mig 25 or 31 anymore . That's why IAF decided to ground Mig 25 after we got our hands on Flanker.

It's speed and altitude it can operate does provide certain advantage though for interception.
We actually already do this with flankers.

I read in a account of IAF airman once, that the way we used to beat others in exercises repeatedly is our flankers would hang back, a couple hundred KM out of range. They would give mig 21s targetting data. Migs would go in with radar off and skimming on the ground, flip on radar for a few secs, fire, turn it off and run.

Last edited:

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
GaN uses lesser power than GaA
Lets analyze the statement.

Their is no such thing as GaN radars. GaN is used to build AFE of the TR Modules. That roughly comprises of 33% of TR Modules. Rest of TR module is all the intelligence that is required for the TR Module, SDR, interfacing with Radar Computer, cooling, etc.
Radiated power output depends on lot of things like antenna design, beam-forming capabilities, accuracy of beam steering, side lobe, SNR, heat extraction capabilities arising from power dissipated, T/R module's manufacturing tolerances,

GaN’s high power density, or its ability to dissipate heat from a small package, makes it so impressive. While GaAs has a basic power density of about 1.5 W/mm, GaN has a power density ranging from 5 to 12 W/mm. Unlike GaAs, the high breakdown voltage of GaN supports high electric field strength in the device. By operating at a higher voltage, GaN-based amplifiers are able to provide a much higher output power in a smaller space.

Using GaN technology in the design of the TR module’s power amplifier maximizes the transmit output power while minimizing the physical size. In addition to shrinking the size of the amplifier die, the use of high-power GaN reduces the need to use many lower-power devices. Since the passive combining networks that are used to combine multiple die are large and introduce loss into the signal path, having fewer of them improves the power density in the TR module.

GaN offer high power density, but when compared to GaAs, the higher bias voltage of GaN simplifies the process of designing a broadband impedance match. This enables a single GaN amplifier to operate over a wide bandwidth, enabling robust and multifunction AESA systems.

The higher bias voltage of GaN offers an additional benefit at the circuit level. Since power is the product of voltage and current, for a constant power, the higher bias voltage of GaN leads to lower current. When the current is reduced, the loss in the bias circuit is also reduced, which improves the efficiency of the amplifier.

GaN technology – while it can improve the performance of the output amplifier in the TR module – can also be used on the receive side. It’s a fact that maximizing the SNR requires both increasing the signal strength and decreasing the noise; when the receiver chain is examined, one source of noise is the protection limiter at the input to the low-noise amplifier since each dB of loss in the limiter equates to an additional dB of noise figure. By using GaN as the semiconductor material for the LNA, it is possible to design out the limiter since GaN can withstand higher input voltages without damage. This leads to a net improvement in the receiver’s noise figure, maximizing the SNR and the range of the radar system. Also, by removing the limiter from the design there is more space in the TR module for other circuitry.

GaN is nowhere compared to GaAs for having lesser power consumption.
This is the long explanation, Ill give the short one.

Power intake * efficiency=Power output.

As long as efficiency does not change dramatically, power in/power out will not change dramatically. There could be minor difference b/w how GaN and GaAs efficiency, but essentially, GaN allows more power input, so if you can give excess power, you get a more compact, long range radar.

SARTHAK

Country flag
How about the OEW weight reduction due to a different radar- I refer to the ballast carried by Mk1 for balance reasons. Weightwise, how will Elta 2052 with 0kg ballast compare to Elta 2032 with ballast?
idk,the innterview said about weight reductions when asked for improvements in mk1a ,nothing else was said about weight reduction

Spitfire9

Country flag
The last IOC was delivered 3 years ago. 3 years later, how close is delivery of 16 FOC? There was capacity to assemble 8 per annum in 2019, subsequently increased to 16.

Things have gone all quiet. That is par for the course, I think, when schedules are about to be missed - which they nearly always are where this programme is concerned.

PS I am aware it was announced that the end-March 2022 schedule for delivery of 16 FOC would be missed due to COVID-19.

flanker99

Country flag
The last IOC was delivered 3 years ago. 3 years later, how close is delivery of 16 FOC? There was capacity to assemble 8 per annum in 2019, subsequently increased to 16.

Things have gone all quiet. That is par for the course, I think, when schedules are about to be missed - which they nearly always are where this programme is concerned.

PS I am aware it was announced that the end-March 2022 schedule for delivery of 16 FOC would be missed due to COVID-19.
24 total tejas has been delivered 8 pending due to Israeli components not arriving btw Israelis also haven't delivered the mfstar radars for vikrant and murmogao

Spitfire9

Country flag
Thanks for the info. I saw that the target for completing deliveries shifted to end of 2022. I am a little mystified why 9 more months are needed to complete the last 8 FOC. Yes, the balance of Israeli components may be late but they have been in production for some time so how come a multi-month delay? Israel reached a high level of COVID-19 vaccination before any other country, so COVID-19 seems unlikely as the cause.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles