LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Because they kept tweaking the Mark2 till 2018... Mark1A was suggested by HAL an interim stopgap.

Main differences are replacement of foreign components by indian aesa radar, quartz radome, jammers, dual-rack for CCM etc. to get indigenous content from 70% to 90+%. Only the engine & ejection seat will be imported.
They're also streamlining the LRUs to make it more maintenance friendly.

That's it.. Other than that there's not much difference. No design change, no weight reduction.
Also making the integration of later systems (like gun) look less like it was added in by a puncture repair guy.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
I wrote a 20 page article one year back and posted on DFI. Using studies from F-16XL the aerodynamic drag for Delta wing is lesser compared to conventional swept back wing even though area of Delta is larger. Hence LCA has very good acceleration and range. It’s payload range matrix is better than Jaguar and almost near Mirage 2000
I beg to difer. Delta designs are dragy and hence becama unpopular initially. However, when they used in combination of RSS, the issue was solved and Delta design became popular. Delta is effective only if plane is designed to be unstable like Tejas.

omaebakabaka

I beg to difer. Delta designs are dragy and hence becama unpopular initially. However, when they used in combination of RSS, the issue was solved and Delta design became popular. Delta is effective only if plane is designed to be unstable like Tejas.
Most modern gen planes are aerodynamically not stable I think once the fly by wire took over?

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
I am Very happy about the recent new about LCA Tejas going to UK for excercise with some of the world's most advanced fighter planes like F-16s ,Eurofighter Typhoon's etc.

It will definitely be a lot of Marketing for Tejas. Tejas is getting a lot of International exposure. Tejas is going to UK for excercise Cobra warrior at RAF Wadington from 6th to 22nd March.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles