LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Country flag
LCA Tejas can get big orders from east Asian countries if HAL delivers it on time and integrates meteor and AIM120 missiles
Or DRDO comes with its own missiles which is cheap and has range and performance similar to meteor and AIM-120
LCA Tejas and Meteor? With current Israeli Radar LCA Tejas Will not be having the Capability to fire Meteor Missile because you need a European radar for it. Also MBDA has refused to Integrate Meteor Missile in Tejas already so no meteor on Tejas mk1a Aircrafts. I am Not sure about Integration of AIM-120 Missiles though. We could Export Tejas with Astra MK-1 Missiles on it.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
LCA Tejas and Meteor? With current Israeli Radar LCA Tejas Will not be having the Capability to fire Meteor Missile. Also MBDA has refused to Integrate Meteor Missile in Tejas already so no meteor on Tejas mk1a Aircrafts. I am Not sure about Integration of AIM-120 Missiles though. We could Export Tejas with Astra MK-1 Missiles on it.
Meteor is considered to be the best air to air missile

Super Flanker

Country flag
Meteor is considered to be the best air to air missile
Yes ,Meteor is considered to be the best Air to air missile in existence is but the fact remains that Tejas will never be able to carry a missile like Meteor. Anyways our upcoming Astra Mk-3 will serve the Requirements of a missile like the Meteor missile because Astra MK-3 will be basically desi Meteor missile.

IndianHawk

Country flag
LCA Tejas and Meteor? With current Israeli Radar LCA Tejas Will not be having the Capability to fire Meteor Missile because you need a European radar for it. Also MBDA has refused to Integrate Meteor Missile in Tejas already so no meteor on Tejas mk1a Aircrafts. I am Not sure about Integration of AIM-120 Missiles though. We could Export Tejas with Astra MK-1 Missiles on it.
They have said no to Israeli radar . Mk1a with Uttam radar can get meteor just like Korean KFX is getting meteor.

Super Flanker

Country flag
They have said no to Israeli radar . Mk1a with Uttam radar can get meteor just like Korean KFX is getting meteor.
They have said that they will Integrate Meteor with only American or European origin radar. With regards to KAI FX Radar than that Radar is built with technical assistance from SAAB so I believe hence it is developed with keeping Missiles like meteor and other American/European Origin Weopon in Mind from the starting itself? I maybe wrong here though. I am not sure about Integration of meteor on Uttam, anyways We will have desi Meteor in the form of Astra Mk3.

IndianHawk

Country flag
They have said that they will Integrate Meteor with only American or European origin radar. With regards to KAI FX Radar than that Radar is built with technical assistance from SAAB so I believe hence it is developed with keeping Missiles like meteor and other American/European Origin Weopon in Mind from the starting itself? I maybe wrong here though. I am not sure about Integration of meteor on Uttam, anyways We will have desi Meteor in the form of Astra Mk3.
Astra mk3 will only be available after 2025-26. There is no issues in integrating meteor with uttam other than costs.

Super Flanker

Country flag
Astra mk3 will only be available after 2025-26. There is no issues in integrating meteor with uttam other than costs.
We shall see about that but for now I am supporting Astra Mk3. If Indian airforce plans to Integrate Meteor with UTTAM AESA Radar than its not a problem for me. It's upto to the Indian airforce.

Super Flanker

Country flag
IAF may be content with astra mk2 for mk1a but option of meteor may be crucial for export clients.
Well with regards to export clients than Instead of Meteor we could just offer them Tejas MK1A with Astra MK-1. In the future when Astra MK-2 is tested and inducted than we could offer Tejas MK1A with Astra Mk-2. By the time Astra Mk3 enters Service by that time Tejas mk-2 will have started its production and We could offer Tejas mk-2 with Astra MK-2/3 etc. If export customers want Meteor on tejas than we could Integrate it.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Well with regards to export clients than Instead of Meteor we could just offer them Tejas MK1A with Astra MK-1. In the future when Astra MK-2 is tested and inducted than we could offer Tejas MK1A with Astra Mk-2. By the time Astra Mk3 enters Service by that time Tejas mk-2 will have started its production and We could offer Tejas mk-2 with Astra MK-2/3 etc. If export customers want Meteor on tejas than we could Integrate it.
Question is not will there be an integration of meteor in mk1a
But the question is will mk1a radar be able to scan 250-300 kms(fighter aircraft)

Super Flanker

Country flag
But the question is will mk1a radar be able to scan 250-300 kms(fighter aircraft)
Well that will depend on range of UTTAM AESA Radar which will be fitted in Tejas mk1a.

UTTAM which will be fitted on Tejas mk1a will reportedly have a range of 200 kms at maximum only if I am not wrong. For this type of ranges Astra MK-2 will be best.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
That won’t make much difference AWACS and other bigger fighter jets can detect enemy aircrafts as well btw no escape zone of meteor can’t be more than 80 kilometers

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Well that will depend on range of UTTAM AESA Radar which will be fitted in Tejas mk1a.

UTTAM which will be fitted on Tejas mk1a will reportedly have a range of 200 kms at maximum only if I am not wrong. For this type of ranges Astra MK-2 will be best.
What is the range of meteor missiles I don’t think it’s more than 200 kilometers that too is maximum range no escape zone is less than 80 kilometers as far as i know

Super Flanker

Country flag
What is the range of meteor missiles I don’t think it’s more than 200 kilometers that too is maximum range no escape zone is less than 80 kilometers as far as i know
Yes the Metoer has a range of 200 kms and can travel at speeds of more than 3.5 mach too which is pretty good! With regards to the no-escape zone of Meteor well I am not sure but it's between 80-100 kms at most TBH.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Yes the Metoer has a range of 200 kms and can travel at speeds of more than 3.5 mach too which is pretty good! With regards to the no-escape zone of Meteor well I am not sure but it's between 80-100 kms at most TBH.
Meteor can hit awacs and transporters at 300+ km away. Against fighter jets it's NEZ is about 100+ km.

Mk1a uttam will have range of about 150 km against small fighter jets so it can utilise meteor well enough.
And similarly against awacs and transporters mk1a may have detection range above 250 km easily.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles