LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Trololo

Country flag
They won’t be, India doesn’t have any means of keeping them current for this UNLESS their respective sims are capable of getting them qualified for it (I’m skeptical)
Anyway given how geopolitics is shaping up I am strongly of the opinion that our new refuelers must come with booms (along with hose lines) and our C17 and p8 crews trained on these. Also our aircrew should train more with US crews for mutual refueling capability. This will come in handy at some point.

destructodisc

Country flag
Not sure if this is already shared, But sharing it again.

The piece of information i cherished from the video is - "tejas becomes unstable in 300ms if FBW does not involve" - great unstable design.
look at the sheer passion in speech of Mr Kota Harinarayana Sir. Its Inspiring. This kind of passion results in miracles and pure satisfaction in life. These folks are never glorified and the youth is not keen to know about them as well.
Sadly there are few people like him in any organisation. I lead a team in my profession and i believe in hiring for passion one true technology enthusiasm. 'only great teams can deliver great things' - the word to focus is 'ONLY'.

FalconZero

Country flag
see this biradar

Thank You, I was just thinking about it that imagine the scenes when we will have Mk1a, Mk1 Foc, hopefully, Mk2 flying in the formation....god that would be amazing.

A culmination of all the sacrifices and investments made to our aerospace industry. I am just reading through the old pages here and brf, the statement of IAF chief was not very encouraging for MWF but let's hope things bid well for that.

Hope we get to see more such videos with even better res in future. Truly mesmerising.

Not sure if this is already shared, But sharing it again.

The piece of information i cherished from the video is - "tejas becomes unstable in 300ms if FBW does not involve" - great unstable design.
look at the sheer passion in speech of Mr Kota Harinarayana Sir. Its Inspiring. This kind of passion results in miracles and pure satisfaction in life. These folks are never glorified and the youth is not keen to know about them as well.
Sadly there are few people like him in any organisation. I lead a team in my profession and i believe in hiring for passion one true technology enthusiasm. 'only great teams can deliver great things' - the word to focus is 'ONLY'.
This, though the i hate how short that video was and initially i was just partially interested but when Dr. Kota started speaking i got sucked into it and at the end of the video was left wanting more of it. AKM is a gem, a bit boomer but a gem indeed. Looking forward to new videos and here's the promo video for episode 2.
Also, i was glad that we got some great close up views to teju, love it.

Edit: In this video IAF chief mentions Tejas Mk2 and stated his support for it so i have edited my previous comment.

Last edited:

jik60

Country flag
Thank You, I was just thinking about it that imagine the scenes when we will have Mk1a, Mk1 Foc, hopefully, Mk2 flying in the formation....god that would be amazing.

A culmination of all the sacrifices and investments made to our aerospace industry. I am just reading through the old pages here and brf, the statement of IAF chief was not very encouraging for MWF but let's hope things bid well for that.

Hope we get to see more such videos with even better res in future. Truly mesmerising.

This, though the i hate how short that video was and initially i was just partially interested but when Dr. Kota started speaking i got sucked into it and at the end of the video was left wanting more of it. AKM is a gem, a bit boomer but a gem indeed. Looking forward to new videos and here's the promo video for episode 2.

Edit: In this video IAF chief mentions Tejas Mk2 and stated his support for it so i have edited my previous comment.
AKM has always been a gr8 gentleman to looking forward to. I had a very good time with him during AI 2013 and am still very much in contact virtually.
But whatever the case HAL should be made out of AMCA mass production. If Namo comes back in 24, he sud do something regarding it as he did with the Left utopian organization or OFB.

Vamsi

Country flag

Can't wait to see Mk-1/1A, NLCA, MWF, AMCA ,Teddy and if possible Ghatak flying in a formation. May be we can expect such flying on Jan 26,2027 if everything goes as planned.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Anyway given how geopolitics is shaping up I am strongly of the opinion that our new refuelers must come with booms (along with hose lines) and our C17 and p8 crews trained on these. Also our aircrew should train more with US crews for mutual refueling capability. This will come in handy at some point.
I do think that whatever tankers the IAF gets should come with Boom and probe refuelling too- both Boeing and Airbus can offer such integrated solutions.

Would massively enhance the capabilities of the C17/P8 but we don't even see IAF talking about such things...

flanker99

Country flag
He is, 7th FOC will be operational this month i believe, plus IFR testing is over and was successful
But it isn't operational yet...Whats he hinting at HAL/IAF hiding the actual no of flying jets from public?!
God knows

FalconZero

Country flag
Was curious, considering the two production lines are ready and working, does that mean or there's a chance that there are some FOC variants in another production line which we are not aware of?

What's the status on the third production line? It was meant for trainer,

Here's the video from defense decode, he is referring to it as third production line while media is calling it second ( I am assuming they found lca and aircraft division as one) but still that means we are seeing only updates from one production line right?

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
I do think that whatever tankers the IAF gets should come with Boom and probe refuelling too- both Boeing and Airbus can offer such integrated solutions.

Would massively enhance the capabilities of the C17/P8 but we don't even see IAF talking about such things...
1634400537181.jpeg

Such a solution already exists, it’s called the Boom Drogue Adapter Unit. It is already in service with the USAF and French Air Force. But it is much more difficult to operate and is more prone to accidents and incidents. It is also more expensive and can refuel only one aircraft at a time unlike probe and Drogue which can refuel 2 or 3 at a time.
“USAF KC-135 and French Air Force KC-135FR refueling-boom equipped tankers can be field converted to a probe-and-drogue system using a special adapter unit. In this configuration, the tanker retains its articulated boom, but has a hose/drogue at the end of it instead of the usual nozzle. The tanker boom operator holds the boom in a static position, while the receiver aircraft then flies the probe into the basket. Unlike the soft canvas basket used in most drogue systems, the adapter units use a steel basket, grimly known as the “iron maiden” by naval aviators because of its unforgiving nature. Soft drogues can be contacted slightly off center, wherein the probe is guided into the hose receptacle by the canvas drogue. The metal drogue, when contacted even slightly off center, will pivot out of place, potentially “slapping” the aircraft’s fuselage and causing damage”.

Another option is a multiple system option consisting of both the fixed boom and probe/Drogue pods on the wings. It is in service with the KC-10E.
1634401297232.jpeg

“Some tankers have both a boom and one or more complete hose-and-drogue systems. Where these are attached to the wings, the system is known as the Multi-Point Refueling System or MPRS. The USAF KC-10 has both a flying boom and also a separate hose and drogue system manufactured by Cobham plc. Both are on the aircraft centerline at the tail of the aircraft, so only one system can be used at once. However, such a system allows all types of probe- and receptacle-equipped aircraft to be refueled in a single mission, without landing to install an adapter. Many KC-135 and some KC-10s are also equipped with dual under-wing hose-and-drogue attachments known as Wing Air Refueling Pods (WARPs).”

The second option seems to be the system we need to look at for our future needs.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles