LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Spitfire9

Country flag
My guess is that HAL is planning to sign a deal for export order of Tejas as part of 75th Independence Anniversary
UK govt policy is to block supply of Martin Baker ejection seats to Argentina so an order for FA-50, Tejas or Gripen is not possible while an order for other types including JF-17 is possible.

you can always ask abhijit mitra...i bet the seats in his BMW is better than the ejection seats in Tejas!
Tell that to the many pilots who owe their lives to Martin Baker ejection seats!

Vamsi

Country flag
UK govt policy is to block supply of Martin Baker ejection seats to Argentina so an order for FA-50, Tejas or Gripen is not possible while an order for other types including JF-17 is possible.
Read it again, I never said it is Argentina, I said "HAL may sign deal for an export order" and it doesn't necessarily mean Argentina , it may be Malaysia too.

arnab

Country flag
common sense dictates that if the choice is then limited to a third rate jf17 with a russian ejetion seat...argentine air force will better off buying the older mig29s from russia directly given that the engine, weapons and basically the design is russian too. or perhaps upgrade the mirages like srilanka did to kfirs...besides they can always get better and reliable weaponry from russia than they can from china and certainly pakistan.

Covfefe

Country flag

Tell that to the many pilots who owe their lives to Martin Baker ejection seats!
The Quartz Nose cone (Radome) coupled with the air-to-air refueling probe for the LCA’s FOC variant is manufactured by Cobham, a British aerospace manufacturer.

The LCA Tejas fleet also comes with a Mark 16 IN16G zero/zero ejection seat made by Martin-Baker, another British firm.
Radome, Refuelling probe and ejection seats sourced from the UK.

shiphone

Country flag
Chinese HTY ejection seat is not something rare at least on the FC-1/JF-17 prototypes which took the maiden flight within China....for an export project, the sub system is optional.

and the first export order: the JF-17BM with HTY serial seat.

JF-17B for PAF

Roland55

Country flag
The UK could be forced to dismiss this issue by the US, who's SOUTHCOM chief have stated multiple times that the purchase of Chinese equipments by Argentina should be avoided at all costs to stop the expanding of Chinese influence in LATAM.

Spitfire9

Country flag
The UK could be forced to dismiss this issue by the US, who's SOUTHCOM chief have stated multiple times that the purchase of Chinese equipments by Argentina should be avoided at all costs to stop the expanding of Chinese influence in LATAM.
It will be interesting to see if UK gives in to US pressure to waive UK foreign policy interests in favour of US foreign policy concerns. I wonder what US would have to say if in the future another mad, bad right wing regime grabbed power in Argentina and attacked the South Atlantic Islands using kit with British content.

About the Tejas getting a different ejection seat to avoid UK refusal to supply - I doubt it is worth it.

Last edited:

Roland55

Country flag
It will be interesting to see if UK gives in to US pressure to waive UK foreign policy interests in favour of US foreign policy concerns. I wonder what the US would have to say if in the future another mad, bad right wing regime grabbed power in Argentina and attacked the South Atlantic Islands using kit with British content.
Isnt a bit of an over-exaggeration? 12 fighters are not going to change anything...

And i see a worse path ahead if china consolidates a "foothold" on LATAM, as more dangerous things could come of that.

Covfefe

Country flag
It will be interesting to see if UK gives in to US pressure to waive UK foreign policy interests in favour of US foreign policy concerns. I wonder what the US would have to say if in the future another mad, bad right wing regime grabbed power in Argentina and attacked the South Atlantic Islands using kit with British content.
They should look at both the short-term picture and the long-term impact. When China comes, it's not just its military hardware. It comes as a package- a portion of soft loans in the beginning, 'gifts' for the government officials, and a few strategic projects at the expense of host- large-scale infra or a port which might fall into China's laps on non-payment of loans(Sri Lanka had way more economic stability than Argentina). A heavy Chinese presence in Latin America will be a headache for the West. On the other hand, a dozen of KA50/Tejas/Gripen isn't going to endanger the British sovereignty over Falklands. Imho, it's better to have a controlled opposition than to invite the unknown devil.

Spitfire9

Country flag
They should look at both the short-term picture and the long-term impact. When China comes, it's not just its military hardware. It comes as a package- a portion of soft loans in the beginning, 'gifts' for the government officials, and a few strategic projects at the expense of host- large-scale infra or a port which might fall into China's laps on non-payment of loans(Sri Lanka had way more economic stability than Argentina). A heavy Chinese presence in Latin America will be a headache for the West. On the other hand, a dozen of KA50/Tejas/Gripen isn't going to endanger the British sovereignty over Falklands. Imho, it's better to have a controlled opposition than to invite the unknown devil.
Sure, China gaining control over SA countries is undesirable from my point of view. If, however, countries invite China to do so, that is not something that other countries can do much to prevent unless they can offer similar goods/services at a similar cost. I don't know international law but I bet it does not say anywhere that buying things from China is illegal.

Same as buying things from Russia is not illegal.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles