LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

JohnWick

Country flag
Bu this logic ! Did your family income come from HAL ?
Well your argument is false, i am not making 100's of post defending HAL, you on the other hand seem to be obsessed with HAL, your entire post history is bashing HAL, even my previous post didn't defend HAL only questioned your HAL obsession.

and the current delay has nothing to do with HAL, here a pic to summarize the current situation.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
HAL has 6 weeks to respond to the RFP from Malaysia. I don't know how these things work but unless HAL can line up a deal with an LDP supplier by then (which I see as impossible), I don't see how they can offer an Israeli-free product. Even if HAL came to an agreement with an LDP producer and knew what it would cost, how long would it take to integrate? And all that cost to be carried by 36 aircraft - not viable to me.

Then there is the production problem. What confidence can Malaysia have that HAL will adhere to a delivery schedule? Can HAL demonstrate a good record in adhering to past Tejas delivery schedules?

Additionally all Mk1A production - given current assembly resources in Bengaluru - is committed to IAF for years to come. Sure, Nashik could assemble Mk1A but how long would it take to get up and running? Remember, HAL does not want to spend money on increasing production capacity based on potential future orders. It wants the orders first - a no risk approach to building an export business.
We can anytime couple it with Talios pod

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
HAL has 6 weeks to respond to the RFP from Malaysia. I don't know how these things work but unless HAL can line up a deal with an LDP supplier by then (which I see as impossible), I don't see how they can offer an Israeli-free product. Even if HAL came to an agreement with an LDP producer and knew what it would cost, how long would it take to integrate? And all that cost to be carried by 36 aircraft - not viable to me.

Then there is the production problem. What confidence can Malaysia have that HAL will adhere to a delivery schedule? Can HAL demonstrate a good record in adhering to past Tejas delivery schedules?

Additionally all Mk1A production - given current assembly resources in Bengaluru - is committed to IAF for years to come. Sure, Nashik could assemble Mk1A but how long would it take to get up and running? Remember, HAL does not want to spend money on increasing production capacity based on potential future orders. It wants the orders first - a no risk approach to building an export business.
Let's worry about manufacturing if we win the tender ..... Needless HAL bashing is injurious to mental health.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Please someone clarify me - If IAF/HAL integrating python, Derby and Astra missile on LCA FOC ,do they need to validate again it on LCA MK1A or MK2 as those fighter will get different Fire Control Rader?
Yes. Reg Mk1A it shouldn't be a problem as it's an iterative of Elta product. Though there will be limited testing.
But Mk2, it's a new plane. You need new software laws, new radar means integration and testing again.

onlinpunit

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Well your argument is false, i am not making 100's of post defending HAL, you on the other hand seem to be obsessed with HAL, your entire post history is bashing HAL, even my previous post didn't defend HAL only questioned your HAL obsession.

and the current delay has nothing to do with HAL, here a pic to summarize the current situation.

Why don't u show us the source of the supposed response by IAF !
U can consult ur sugar **** in HAL.!

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
First of all, we entered the exclusive economic zone. Second, we used transport aircraft instead of bombers and fighter jets. Finally, this is just a reminder to Southeast Asian countries not to participate in the recent European and American interference in the South China Sea.
Marvellous... Please keep giving those Mallus some more reminders like that over the next 2-3 years. 🙏

Though we don't have indigenous ldp pod in development.
Not much of an issue, if we can achieve compatibility with Su-30MKM and/or F-18 pods.. Actually I think the LCA will be used for CAP & CAS with training.

JJust the other stuff has to be desi to let us compete without Israeli sub-systems.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Posted by Bleh in MWF thread but it is about Tejas Mk1:
India to deploy Tejas aircraft on the western front by mid of this year
08-May-2021

Tejas temporarily had deployed in the western front close to the Pak border last yr bt that not permanent. FOC variant of the Second squadron is likely to be posted at Srinagar Air force Base to replace the Mig-21 squadron at the Air force station
So, did Tejas get deployed to the western front by mid of this year?

FalconZero

Country flag
That got so many likes 😅
C'mon it was a good meme.

There's one from idrw and it is from 2019 and interestingly is also mentioned in wiki:
Srinagar Airbase to get LCA-Tejas squadron in 2022
Second LCA-Tejas Mk1 squadron will be based at Srinagar Air Force Station said a reliable Industrial source close to idrw.org most likely from 2022 onwards which will replace Mig-21Bis squadron currently stationed at the forward airbase closer to Pakistan occupied Kashmir once they are retired in phases from 2020 onwards.

It is about FOC, IOC ones (Flying daggers) were already deployed in the western sector as mentioned before, wasn't aware that it was temporary.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It is about FOC, IOC ones (Flying daggers) were already deployed in the western sector as mentioned before, wasn't aware that it was temporary.
Yeah 2-3 off them got posted as forward based during the Chinese standoff.

Now this could be the reason for delivery delay.. that IAF is updating the maintenance facility for Tejas & these jets will go there only. I'm trying to find what I can on this. Will share if I do. July is nearing its end already 😑

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Kind of pushes JF-17 to the top of the list, doesn't it?

Even without the problem of Israeli content, I don't see how HAL could supply 36 to Malaysia without delaying delivery of 36 to IAF by more than 2 years, so getting the order would create problems because of HAL's disinclination to increase annual production capacity. I think that such an order would have kept an extra 8 per annum plant busy for 5+ years.

People tell me it is a risk too far to build another assembly plant. Not if you are a business with an ambition to break into the world market to profit from a competitive product range (Mk1A, MWF). But fair enough, while GOI wants to India to become a force in the world arms market, HAL finds it all too frighteningly risky to make that a possibility.

Having said that, if 90% share owner GOI won't invest in HAL to expand capacity or would take years to reach such a decision and stump up the money, selling fighter aircraft abroad in numbers will remain a GOI dream and Mk1A and MWF will not have much of an export future.
Production follows commitments everywhere on this planet. Do not fall into the trap of thinking the laws of economics do not apply to India.

Everyone complaining about HAL’s low production rates thus far utterly fail to recognise that until March 2021 HAL had only a commitment for 16+16+8 LCA, 4-5/year is a reasonable rate with this in mind.

16/year is planned only for MK1A and is derived by the stipulated delivery period- 5 years.

besides do we really think the IAF is in a position to induct LCAs at a rate much higher than this? No freaking way could they absorb 40+ fighters/year when they are struggling to even absorb 6 FOC LCAs. Even for MRFA/MMRCA 2.0 the stipulation in the RFI is for 14 MRFA/year.

IF HAL wins the Malaysian contract they’ll build facilities/add capacity and do whatever is needed to meet their contract commitments- this won’t interfere with any other contractual obligations.

That said I can’t see the LCA getting far with the Malaysian competition, it’s far too over spec’d and overpriced for what they are looking for. I’d hope that HAL would offer the SPORT for this requirement but I can’t see Indian defence export entities being anywhere near dynamic enough to deal with these efforts.

Last edited:

abingdonboy

Country flag
Are you sure, no more planned... Didn't HAL Claim in coming years they'll have the capacity to manufacture 24+ per year !! does it have to do with expanding existing one or ??
HAL can expand production from the existing 2.5 lines beyond 20 with little additional infrastructure purely by enhancing the % of LRUs outsourced to private companies. Afaik it was hovering around 65%, they aimed for 75% and if they go above 85% they can get it above 20/year from the existing lines.

abingdonboy

Country flag
On the matter of assembling Mk1A at Nashik, it looks like it is 500 miles or so from Bengaluru. Wouldn't it be better to use it for MKI overhaul and updates and extend Mk1A assembly capacity at Bengaluru? Among other reasons, I imagine that the people with the required skills for Tejas assembly all live near Bengaluru.
Nasik is effectively earmarked for the AMCA protection consortium.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles