LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Then it's HAL's fault. They delayed it to the point IAF don't want it now. Lets order checkmate in 230 number on fast track because national security.
Lol delayed. They did that ahead or on schedule. IAF didn't pay money and did not create infrastructure for receiving those Dhruvs. Hence was asked to sit on HAL tarmac.

Same issues for FOC as well. 4 Tejas were sitting in HAL tarmac for quite long. Infact 6 were ready. IAF had to create necessary infra for receiving more Tejas in Sulur airbase. Sulur is also being upgraded as we speak. Using that timeline HAL decided to finish integration of Derby bvr in FOC aircrafts. On this issue, it's IAF delays as well as HALs. No FOC is going to permanently move to Srinagar in the next 2 years. They will train in Sulur.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Lol delayed. They did that ahead or on schedule. IAF didn't pay money and did not create infrastructure for receiving those Dhruvs. Hence was asked to sit on HAL tarmac.

Same issues for FOC as well. 4 Tejas were sitting in HAL tarmac for quite long. Infact 6 were ready. IAF had to create necessary infra for receiving more Tejas in Sulur airbase. Sulur is also being upgraded as we speak. Using that timeline HAL decided to finish integration of Derby bvr in FOC aircrafts. On this issue, it's IAF delays as well as HALs. No FOC is going to permanently move to Srinagar in the next 2 years. They will train in Sulur.
U can't blame IAF. Its HAL's fault. Let me give u some words ... Fanboy, national security, corrupt HAL, delayed by HAL etc. Etc. IAF is best in everything. So no words.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
HAL is all set to respond to Royal Malaysian Air Force’s RfP for LCA
The Malaysian Air Force has sent out a global request for low-cost light fighter aircraft.

Royal Malaysian Air Force’s RfP for LCA

By the end of September 2021, the state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is expected to respond to a Request for Proposal (RfP) from the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF). The Malaysian Air Force has sent out a global request for low-cost light fighter aircraft.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a top officer has confirmed to Financial Express Online “The Company will be responding to the RfP from RMAF for the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) `Tejas’. And it has to be sent at the end of September.”

As has been reported earlier this year, on the sidelines of the 13th edition of Aero-India, R Madhavan, chairman of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), has told Financial Express Online that “Several Southeast Asian and Middle East countries evinced interest in the indigenous LCA `Tejas’ Mk 1A fighter aircraft.”

“At a vanilla price of just Rs 309 crore per aircraft, the export version of the fighters are going to be different from those which are going to be inducted in the Indian Air Force (IAF),” he added, there will be extra charges for the services to be provided overseas.

Full story here:

Last edited:

MirageBlue

Country flag
HAL is all set to respond to Royal Malaysian Air Force’s RfP for LCA
The Malaysian Air Force has sent out a global request for low-cost light fighter aircraft.

Royal Malaysian Air Force’s RfP for LCA

By the end of September 2021, the state-owned Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) is expected to respond to a Request for Proposal (RfP) from the Royal Malaysian Air Force (RMAF). The Malaysian Air Force has sent out a global request for low-cost light fighter aircraft.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, a top officer has confirmed to Financial Express Online “The Company will be responding to the RfP from RMAF for the Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) `Tejas’. And it has to be sent at the end of September.”

As has been reported earlier this year, on the sidelines of the 13th edition of Aero-India, R Madhavan, chairman of Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), has told Financial Express Online that “Several Southeast Asian and Middle East countries evinced interest in the indigenous LCA `Tejas’ Mk 1A fighter aircraft.”

“At a vanilla price of just Rs 309 crore per aircraft, the export version of the fighters are going to be different from those which are going to be inducted in the Indian Air Force (IAF),” he added, there will be extra charges for the services to be provided overseas.

Full story here:
Expect the Tejas Mk1A with Uttam, Astra Mk1, Mk2 and ASRAAM. Litening LDP has no alternative as of now. The SPJ is going to be another Israeli product that the Malays may not want. Not sure what HAL can offer in it's place, since it will also require integration with the Tejas Mk1A and it's radar.

FA-50 has the same issue- it uses Israeli Elta 2032 MSA radar which is anyway inferior to the Elta 2052 or Uttam. Not sure what the South Koreans could offer instead, possibly the radar being developed for the Boramae, which is indigenous with Israeli help and support for validation and testing. But AFAIK, there is no plan on the SoKo side to have a new FA-50 variant with AESA radar as yet.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Expect the Tejas Mk1A with Uttam, Astra Mk1, Mk2 and ASRAAM. Litening LDP has no alternative as of now. The SPJ is going to be another Israeli product that the Malays may not want. Not sure what HAL can offer in it's place...
Iran's baby Azerbaijan won a war based on Israeli products, subsystems origin is not gonna be an issue... Malays already know all this. For them greater headache seems to be Chinese presence in their airspace

MirageBlue

Country flag
Iran's baby Azerbaijan won a war based on Israeli products, subsystems origin is not gonna be an issue... Malays already know all this. For them greater headache seems to be Chinese presence in their airspace
You know how these Islamic nations treat Israel right? Haram and all that nonsense.

They forced Russia to replace all the Israeli items on the Su-30MKI with French items, so I wouldn't be surprised if they expected that with the Light Fighter contest as well.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Expect the Tejas Mk1A with Uttam, Astra Mk1, Mk2 and ASRAAM. Litening LDP has no alternative as of now. The SPJ is going to be another Israeli product that the Malays may not want. Not sure what HAL can offer in it's place, since it will also require integration with the Tejas Mk1A and it's radar.

FA-50 has the same issue- it uses Israeli Elta 2032 MSA radar which is anyway inferior to the Elta 2052 or Uttam. Not sure what the South Koreans could offer instead, possibly the radar being developed for the Boramae, which is indigenous with Israeli help and support for validation and testing. But AFAIK, there is no plan on the SoKo side to have a new FA-50 variant with AESA radar as yet.
Kind of pushes JF-17 to the top of the list, doesn't it?

Even without the problem of Israeli content, I don't see how HAL could supply 36 to Malaysia without delaying delivery of 36 to IAF by more than 2 years, so getting the order would create problems because of HAL's disinclination to increase annual production capacity. I think that such an order would have kept an extra 8 per annum plant busy for 5+ years.

People tell me it is a risk too far to build another assembly plant. Not if you are a business with an ambition to break into the world market to profit from a competitive product range (Mk1A, MWF). But fair enough, while GOI wants to India to become a force in the world arms market, HAL finds it all too frighteningly risky to make that a possibility.

Having said that, if 90% share owner GOI won't invest in HAL to expand capacity or would take years to reach such a decision and stump up the money, selling fighter aircraft abroad in numbers will remain a GOI dream and Mk1A and MWF will not have much of an export future.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Kind of pushes JF-17 to the top of the list, doesn't it?

Even without the problem of Israeli content, I don't see how HAL could supply 36 to Malaysia without delaying delivery of 36 to IAF by more than 2 years, so getting the order would create problems because of HAL's disinclination to increase annual production capacity. I think that such an order would have kept an extra 8 per annum plant busy for 5+ years.

People tell me it is a risk too far to build another assembly plant. Not if you are a business with an ambition to break into the world market to profit from a competitive product range (Mk1A, MWF). But fair enough, while GOI wants to India to become a force in the world arms market, HAL finds it all too frighteningly risky to make that a possibility.

Having said that, if 90% share owner GOI won't invest in HAL to expand capacity or would take years to reach such a decision and stump up the money, selling fighter aircraft abroad in numbers will remain a GOI dream and Mk1A and MWF will not have much of an export future.
How many production lines has HAL dedicated to Tejas and how many more are planned?

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
2 assembly lines for Tejas with nominal capacity for each to produce 8 a year. No more planned as far as I know.
Was about to make a point based on memory of a third production line, but rechecked now that there are officially only two lines. The third production line that was being talked about in 2019-2020 is same as second production inaugurated recently.

As things stand today officially there are only two production lines with no new production line coming up.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Are you sure, no more planned... Didn't HAL Claim in coming years they'll have the capacity to manufacture 24+ per year !! does it have to do with expanding existing one or ??
I think they talked of the MKI plant being able to assemble 4? 6? 8? Tejas a year when free.

But I think that existing IOC aircraft need to be converted to FOC standard somewhere. Where is that going to happen?

Spitfire9

Country flag
On the matter of assembling Mk1A at Nashik, it looks like it is 500 miles or so from Bengaluru. Wouldn't it be better to use it for MKI overhaul and updates and extend Mk1A assembly capacity at Bengaluru? Among other reasons, I imagine that the people with the required skills for Tejas assembly all live near Bengaluru.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
You know how these Islamic nations treat Israel right? Haram and all that nonsense.

They forced Russia to replace all the Israeli items on the Su-30MKI with French items, so I wouldn't be surprised if they expected that with the Light Fighter contest as well.
Yes. Didn't you know that Azerbaijan was one of those contries?.. That's why I gave their example 😅 Plus this jets will go out at 2024,will have Uttam & desi EW ready.

Ghost hale

Country flag
On the matter of assembling Mk1A at Nashik, it looks like it is 500 miles or so from Bengaluru. Wouldn't it be better to use it for MKI overhaul and updates and extend Mk1A assembly capacity at Bengaluru? Among other reasons, I imagine that the people with the required skills for Tejas assembly all live near Bengaluru.
Was about to make a point based on memory of a third production line, but rechecked now that there are officially only two lines. The third production line that was being talked about in 2019-2020 is same as second production inaugurated recently.

As things stand today officially there are only two production lines with no new production line coming up.
The 5 mentioned will be 8 but I m not able to find that article.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Yes. Didn't you know that Azerbaijan was one of those contries?.. That's why I gave their example 😅 Plus this jets will go out at 2024,will have Uttam & desi EW ready.

Might help

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles