LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

onlinpunit

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Well, the interception mission on 27th Feb took only 4 minutes to make contact. Assuming all the internal the fuel in reserve for afterburnered dogfighting, I'd assume it can loiter for nearly an hour or 45min on the 580kg fuel of the central DT.

Hell no!.. Most of that fuel will go to waste on jettissoning drop tank. Waaaay too much.

Mig-21 has half that range & its interception mission payload is 1 central-tank + rest missiles, as was on 27th Feb. It is more likely the Tehas will follow that pattern.
We are forgetting SPJ Pod ( for Mk1A) and Litening Pod.. where they will be adjusted..?

Vamsi

Country flag
Well, the interception mission on 27th Feb took only 4 minutes to make contact. Assuming all the internal the fuel in reserve for afterburnered dogfighting, I'd assume it can loiter for nearly an hour or 45min on the 580kg fuel of the central DT.

Hell no!.. Most of that fuel will go to waste on jettissoning drop tank. Waaaay too much.

Mig-21 has half that range & its interception mission payload is 1 central-tank + rest missiles, as was on 27th Feb. It is more likely the Tehas will follow that pattern.
are you saying that it can fly 45 mins using only the fuel of central DT ?

Whitecollar

Country flag
Astra mk2 will be ready with in 2 years
So I believe there is no need of derby er
Also I asked someone he said derby er not fired. From Tejas
Let's see
But older Derby did get fired which means atleast 50km is covered for now. By year end, Astra MK1 integration and firing should be tested. I personally believe IAF should order additional 250 Astra MK1s looking to their usage on Tejas FOCs when the remaining get inducted.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
are you saying that it can fly 45 mins using only the fuel of central DT ?
No time depends on airspeed he climbed height, airspeed etc. ofcourse. But yeah a total 45min mission time (600km range at 0.7-0.8M) would be feasible with total 3080kg fuel, as payload will be at its lowest draggy config.

PS: Ok I just read again what I wrote in the last post... . I meant 45minute flight time, including any dogfighting on internal fuel (DT will get chucked with any remaining fuel). Corrected;
Assuming only the internal the fuel is reserved for afterburnered dogfighting, I'd assume it can loiter for nearly an hour or 45min with 580kg fuel at the central DT.

Last edited:

Whitecollar

Country flag
Bdw many says...if Rafale was there the result would have different in Feb 27

I say if Tejas was there instead of MiG-21
Then result would have different.
2 Migs flew to intercept that day. Take example of 2 MK1As: 4 BVRs, 8 R-73/Python(dual pylons), ELTA 8222 SPJ, LPI anti jammable Uttam/2052, 0.5 to 0.8² mm RCS and our superstar Abhinandan flying in 1 of them.
Atleat 3 Falcons would've been slayed alongwith 1-2 JF-17 intergalactic fighters.

onlinpunit

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
The IAF ACM RKS Bhadauria confirmed in December 2020 itself that the in service LCA Tejas fighters are getting SPJ integrated. I had posted that article link a few pages earlier.
But which SPJ we are getting ? ELTA series ?
Do we have any pictures of LCA with SPJ ?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
The IAF ACM RKS Bhadauria confirmed in December 2020 itself that the in service LCA Tejas fighters are getting SPJ integrated. I had posted that article link a few pages earlier.
He said something like "yes, ew system are being integrated to the lca".. Could have meant the Mark1A tho.

onlinpunit

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
He said something like "yes, ew system are being integrated to the lca".. Could have meant the Mark1A tho.
How many types of SPJ are there in our inventory ?
Except Rafale which other jet has internal SPJ. ?

Spitfire9

Country flag
Regarding possible exports, I read that:
HAL is looking at setting up logistics facilities in Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia and Sri Lanka to woo the countries to buy Tejas and military helicopters.
and
Prime Minister Narendra Modi had last year set a defence export target of $5 billion in the next five years.

I don't see Tejas contributing much. IAF needs all the Mk1A's that will be produced in the next 5 years.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles