LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

ketaki

Country flag
Why should we be worried that Tejas should be exported more than jeff 17 blunder?

I am worried more about tejas being prouduced faster and more in Numbers with better and better iterations and to be a workhorse for IAF first...BAKI SAB BAAD ME

I mean the greatest exported fighter jet was MiG-21...does that mean it was technologically superior to all current era fighters in same class?

Answer is - No, your get what you are able to pay for just like cheaper blunder

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Looking at Naval dominance of China, I was wondering why MoD didn't think about ordering 24 to 32 nos N Tejas with MK1A config looking at older gen Migs serving at AC without any modern 4++ capabilities. I mean by 2026, Navy would've gotten a fair share of 4++ gen Fighter with good BVR and ECM capability. Now I know it was quite heavy and completely stripped for the Naval trial but atleast we could try. That way, we wouldn't have to wait for 54 fighters that Navy desparately desires.

Another thing is: they could've used the jets for some years then transferred them to IAF when TEDBF would've been inducted.
Mig 29K aren't outdated in comparison to Tejas or without any 4thgen capability

We do have requirement for advanced trainers for which a dozen+ Tejas can fill in but I'll rather prefer it to be Mk2 trainer version.. standard.

CentralPoint

Country flag
Tejas was conceived as point defence fighter. These are real good developments like testing python/derby-er to add to arsenal. Before this - for couple of years now (observation) IAF had been rather testing Tejas for ground attack related operations rather than prioritizing these Air-to-air weapon arsenal.

Anyone knows the reason for that.
When Tejas was conceived - yes it was a point defence fighter - a like for like replacement of the MiG-21/23 fleet with capabilities close to that of a Mirage2000. The timelines were mostly to coincide with the Mig23 going out of service - and then the 21. Based on the timeline of development - we saw the 27's going away as well - leaving a gap in the ground attack fleet. Meanwhile the LCA developed into a potent platform, which had hardpoints stressed for high loads - a lot heavier than that of the A2A missiles that it was supposed to carry. The ADA realised it could be a 'multi-role' fighter - started with rocket pods (like the Mig21) and dumb bombs.
If you see the A2A aircraft we have are numerous and potent - the Su30MKI (Air Dominance), Mig-29 and Mirage2000. The Jaguar DARIN III upgrades will stay on for a decade and then need replacing - thats the 'gap' we have. We lack a good CAS aircraft.
As we are able to customize the Tejas easily - it will play the vital role of CAS, Ground attack and point defence. Advantage of designing and developing our own aircraft!

Looking at Naval dominance of China, I was wondering why MoD didn't think about ordering 24 to 32 nos N Tejas with MK1A config looking at older gen Migs serving at AC without any modern 4++ capabilities. I mean by 2026, Navy would've gotten a fair share of 4++ gen Fighter with good BVR and ECM capability. Now I know it was quite heavy and completely stripped for the Naval trial but atleast we could try. That way, we wouldn't have to wait for 54 fighters that Navy desparately desires.

Another thing is: they could've used the jets for some years then transferred them to IAF when TEDBF would've been inducted.
The IN is loathe to take on a 'single' engine aircraft on its carriers. If you see most navies will be the same (rare exceptions) While the Tejas Naval Mk1 is a good aircraft - there is no way the Navy will order 24/32 of them. What do you do when the TEDBF comes online in say 10 -12 years from now? These 24/32 airframes will be sea optimized - meaning they can't be moved to IAF squadrons. Maybe, we can base them at A&N - but thats about it. The IN is better off taking on Rafales or even additional Mig29's (though they have been troublesome) - as it is they will arrive 3-4 years from now (if ordered immediately) which means you then have space for at least four squadrons of TEDBF - on the Vikramaditya, Vikrant2 and the IAC2 as and when that happens.

Roland55

Country flag

Roland55

Country flag
What's problem with Bolivia and israel, well we have uttam as replacement but for a small order, harming relation with Israel is not good
Quite a few years ago FAdeA was getting a deal to export IA.63 Pampa Trainers to Bolivia, so you know, the avionics of the Pampa are made by an Israeli company, after that the israeli gov pressed hard so the deal would be cancelled. Bolivia's political relations with Iran and certain Terrorist groups that oppose israel are the reason why the deal was forced to be cancelled.

onlinpunit

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Seems HAL stopped making LCA after 31st March ! Any new FOC plane ready to flight ?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It's a FUBAR.
Found in there... 4 LCAs are ready for handover, but stalled (meaning 4 more that had flown are not "ready" so probably Python-5 being integrated to this lot).
As many as 450 material supply vendors hit, apparently that is what delayed LCH order too.

Awr chato private sector ki... didn't learn anything from the Sachi-Class OPV tender.

ketaki

Country flag
cool down guys... making tejas is a process not an art or sports where the individual matters the most.

procedures, layouts and documents are all there...COVID shutdown affecting industries is a reality.

MonaLazy

Awr chato private sector ki...
That's a bit harsh. It's fire in the belly vs chai-biscuit in the belly- take your pick. OEMs abroad are also struggling to get their stuff to HAL because of flying restrictions- so nothing unique only to Indian pvt sector, besides even public sector entity HAL is badly impacted itself. Also from the same article don't understand why covid is preventing LCH order- is MoD decision making also hampered by the pandemic now?

Spitfire9

Country flag
With regard to the USN Goshawk trainer replacement selection, this article gives an idea of the kind of organisation that HAL will be up against.

Personally I see Tejas as a non-starter in this one. However they could get an idea of how much they need to improve to be in with a chance in such competitions.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
With regard to the USN Goshawk trainer replacement selection, this article gives an idea of the kind of organisation that HAL will be up against.

Personally I see Tejas as a non-starter in this one. However they could get an idea of how much they need to improve to be in with a chance in such competitions.
The carrier capability could be crucial.. ATM they say it's not required but in the run that might still be a tie breaking factor.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Found this about the Goshawk replacement

In May 2020, the Navy launched its Undergraduate Jet Training System (UJTS) effort, which is ultimately intended to acquire a replacement for the T-45C Goshawk that is currently used in the advanced pilot training role, including the demanding regime of carrier flight operations instruction. A request for information (RFI) was released to industry on May 14, with a view to acquiring a non-developmental, land-based jet trainer by 2028.

The RFI said that rather than being able to land and take-off from the carrier like the current Goshawk and its predecessors, such as the TA-4J Skyhawk, the new trainer would be limited to conducting Field Carrier Landing Practice (FCLP) and shipboard touch-and-go landings. You can read more about the training aircraft program RFI in this past War Zone piece. However, the program is already evolving and The War Zone understands that the Navy is no longer even pursuing the touch-and-go requirement.

This would make it even less likely that the carrier-capable aircraft (Tejas-N) in this competition would be selected.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
This would make it even less likely that the carrier-capable aircraft (Tejas-N) in this competition would be selected.
Sounds borderline ludicrous... Military history is full of these stuff. Rarely works out.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles