LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

MirageBlue

Country flag
I think this Twitter post by Air Marshal R Nambiar completely lays to rest any questions any one has about the capabilities of the Tejas Mk1 in air to ground role.

Twitter link

No.... I was just stating facts... The Tejas has a few teathing problems....Weapon delivery accuracy is thankfully NOT one of them!.. I'm proud to be the oldest serving member of Team Tejas!

MirageBlue

Country flag
Yep they have been spotted near LAC bases weilding dual ELTA 8222 pods. However it isn't integral so 1 hard point will always be reserved for SPJ jammer.
I haven't seen a single image so far of any Tejas prototype or serving fighter carrying a SPJ. It is eminently doable, given that even MiG-29Ks and Bisons fly with the Elta 8222 SPJ. Integrating it to our own type should be a lot easier, and I'm sure the Israelis would love to have it as standard equipment on the 40 Tejas Mk1 fighters as well.

For me, the biggest confirmation came from the IAF's ACM RKS Bhadauria when he went on record and stated that the Tejas fighters in service are being tested with SP jammers.

Spitfire9

Country flag
When can we expect to see photos of the first Mk1A under construction? I presume that HAL will do some PR. I recall that KAI released photo/video updates of the progress in assembly of KF-X.

MirageBlue

Country flag
When can we expect to see photos of the first Mk1A under construction? I presume that HAL will do some PR. I recall that KAI released photo/video updates of the progress in assembly of KF-X.
When it will be loaded on the jigs. Which itself will happen in 2022 or thereabouts, given that the first Tejas Mk1A has to roll-out in 2023.

As of now they are still assembling Tejas Mk1 FOC fighters. And the Mk1A sub-systems and systems are being tested on existing Tejas LSP prototypes. So there isn't a dedicated purpose built Tejas Mk1A prototype as such.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Looking at Naval dominance of China, I was wondering why MoD didn't think about ordering 24 to 32 nos N Tejas with MK1A config looking at older gen Migs serving at AC without any modern 4++ capabilities. I mean by 2026, Navy would've gotten a fair share of 4++ gen Fighter with good BVR and ECM capability. Now I know it was quite heavy and completely stripped for the Naval trial but atleast we could try. That way, we wouldn't have to wait for 54 fighters that Navy desparately desires.

Another thing is: they could've used the jets for some years then transferred them to IAF when TEDBF would've been inducted.

Last edited:

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
You get it wrong, I am not talking about current scenario but an alternative one where we make a deal with Mikoyen in late 80s for production of mig 29.

My assessment is by assuming that the Mig with a heavy chunk of order from us would avoid decay in post Soviet 90s.
Like Su 30 mki we could have integrated indigenous, french, Israeli subsystem, with renewed interest Kilmov might make a far better version of RD33 mk etc...may be we got an UPG level satisfaction with Mig 29 fleet even in early 2000s.
No level of Israelis subsystem level integration would provide a combat edge with an integrated platform like rafales. The rafales are far ahead of su35s.

Sridhar_TN

Country flag
Vajpayee government was offered production of mirage 2000-5 in India but didn't take it . France had offered to shift entire mirage 2000 production line to India as it was shifting to rafale production but BJP thought that it will win 2004 election and then hold MRCA contest with rafale in it . Instead of only 36 rafales we could have had hundreds of mirage 2000s as our MRCA .
Mirages are a generation older than rafales. Rafales are easier to maintain, more lethal, have better range etc. we can still have hindreds of mirages but it’s better to obtain hundreds of rafales even if it’s expensive

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
Also called 50 cents party. These are employed by CCPee to spread fake news in favor of CCPee.
Introduce yourself

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Why? Mk1A do not have any physical variations with respect to FOC Mk1. Going to be new radar, internally some more commponents. PR should be done for Mk2. Infact Mk2 unveiling might happen before mk1A.

Rajaraja Chola

Country flag
Looking at Naval dominance of China, I was wondering why MoD didn't think about ordering 24 to 32 nos N Tejas with MK1A config looking at older gen Migs serving at AC without any modern 4++ capabilities. I mean by 2026, Navy would've gotten a fair share of 4++ gen Fighter with good BVR and ECM capability. Now I know it was quite heavy and completely stripped for the Naval trial but atleast we could try. That way, we wouldn't have to wait for 54 fighters that Navy desparately desires.

Another thing is: they could've used the jets for some years then transferred them to IAF when TEDBF would've been inducted.
Can be used only as a trainer. Max 12. Not sure if 24 is required to train pilots on fighters numbering around 42 now.
NLCA has to carry significant load if it has to fly from carriers. And we all know that won't happen with current thrust.
And more money has to be plunged. Like weapons integration, new radar, supply chain, refueling probe etc. It's better the limited human resources concentrate on TEDBF. And while we collect more data with the Naval prototype we have.

Spitfire9

Country flag
When will we see photos of 1st Mk1A...

Why? Mk1A do not have any physical variations with respect to FOC Mk1. Going to be new radar, internally some more commponents. PR should be done for Mk2. Infact Mk2 unveiling might happen before mk1A.
PR - "Look at the wonderful new thing we are doing! etc etc

Also a photo shows how far assembly of the structure has progressed.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles