LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

cannonfodder

Country flag
No, if Derby is integrated then it's plug & play... basically the same missile with different seeker. The launching rails are slightly modified tho, with the Derby having another module for data link with missile.

View attachment 87821View attachment 87822
@Bleh I remember previously there were flutter/vibration issues with python 5 integration. I was wondering how that was resolved?

MirageBlue

Country flag
Was waiting to see Deb Rana's pics from the latest Goa trials!

Thank you for posting this! 4 Derby BVRAAMs and 2 Python V CCMs..and 1 centerline drop tank. The configuration that will be standard for air to air missions for the Tejas Mk1. CAP, Barrier CAP, air interception missions..

Just wish they'd found a way to integrate the El-8222WB SPJ on the 8th hardpoint where the Litening LDP is carried now.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
What I find curious is that I remember hearing some time ago that Tejas production could rise to 20 a year - 8 at established plant, 8 at new plant, 4 at Nashik. If Nashik has been assembling 15-16 MKI a year, why would it produce 4 Tejas a year? I don't understand.
Super sukhoi , overhaul , mlu

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Penny wise, pound foolish idiots like him apply schoolboy economics to strategic systems. Many like him exist in MoD of many countries, including India. Ask them how they factored in the cost of lives saved by oxygen plants set up by DRDO leveraging the Tejas OBOGS technology. How does one factor that into the calculations?

Ghost hale

Country flag
Penny wise, pound foolish idiots like him apply schoolboy economics to strategic systems. Many like him exist in MoD of many countries, including India. Ask them how they factored in the cost of lives saved by oxygen plants set up by DRDO leveraging the Tejas OBOGS technology. How does one factor that into the calculations?
For strategic assets, It should be if u can invest and get it done in country, then that is the option to choose.

MonaLazy

However, the Tejas has a problem with its air intakes design. This stems from initial confusion about its role, which was to replace the MiG-21 as the IAF’s light fighter. Since the MiG-21 was designed for high-speed interceptions at speeds of Mach 2 (twice the speed of sound, or 2,500 km per hour), the Tejas designers worked for a top speed of Mach 1.8. However, they chose fixed air intakes, which are suitable only for speeds up to Mach 1.4. Higher speeds require more sophisticated air intakes, incorporating moving intakes, cones, etc. The Tejas’ fixed air intakes reduce its thrust by 30-40 per cent. Even so, the fighter is good for Mach 1.2-1.4, the regime where most air battle engagements actually occur.
That is so not true!

Upgrading to a higher performance engine requires the freedom to redesign the basic aircraft. A higher thrust engine such as the F-414 or the WS-13 is heavier than the engine it replaces and, therefore, upsets the aircraft’s balance, forces design changes and, being heavier, consumes more fuel. So an upgraded engine often delivers disappointing performance.
.. also bull crap.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles