LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

SKC

Country flag
Bit of background on this...

I found out that Tejas had been tested to carry maximum 4 dumb-bombs, in the following loadouts.
View attachment 81504View attachment 81505
Now the latter made no sense to me, as the former obviously would vastly outrange it... even with a central tank.

As it happened, I knew a photo of Tejas tandem-bomb test (can't find it anymore, Google showing my vandalisms only) that matches this one perfectly. View attachment 81509

So I went to town. Edited on two of the tandem-pylon, move around the bombs to match the light/shades & now half the Internet thinks it a real photo 😅
The level HDR in the pics is too damn high!!
the-rent-is-too-damn-high.png

Spitfire9

Country flag

From a humble 3 legged cheetah to a true Ninja of Indian skies. IAF will soon be deploying Tejas foc on all forward bases. A small fighter with lowest RCS and longest bvraam is a deadly combo for any adversary...😊😊
Entire planned production of FOC is 16 single seat + 4 two seat. How does a total of 20 aicraft (eventually) get deployed on all forward bases? And soon? What does 'soon' mean where Tejas is concerned?

As for lethality with Astra, I think you have a good point. Low RCS is an advantage, isn't it?

By the way, how many Astra can Tejas Mk1 carry?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Entire planned production of FOC is 16 single seat + 4 two seat. How does a total of 20 aicraft (eventually) get deployed on all forward bases? And soon? What does 'soon' mean where Tejas is concerned?

As for lethality with Astra, I think you have a good point. Low RCS is an advantage, isn't it?

By the way, how many Astra can Tejas Mk1 carry?
We heard chatter that IOC Tejas were spread over several forward bases to test operability during this last "situation". FOC may see some CAP/CAS action in A2A roles or contested airspace (for to lack of EW system).

FOC presently can carry 2 BVRs on midboard pylons only... as above. As the integration of Astra continues, the inboard pylons will be rated for BVRs too. As of now only the naval Tejas prototype is able to do that.

LCA-tejas.jpg

Spitfire9

Country flag
We heard chatter that IOC Tejas were spread over several forward bases to test operability during this last "situation". FOC may see some CAP/CAS action in A2A roles or contested airspace (for to lack of EW system).

FOC presently can carry 2 BVRs on midboard pylons only... as above. As the integration of Astra continues, the inboard pylons will be rated for BVRs too. As of now only the naval Tejas prototype is able to do that.

View attachment 81716
It is going to provide a lot of A2A bangs per buck with 4 Astra.

I see the possibilty of Mk1A export sales. At, say, <$50 million per frame coupled with low cost, high performance Indian BVR weaponry (I think Astra is roughly half the price of Meteor) Mk1A deserves being evaluated by countries with tight defence budgets.

To me a couple of small Mk1A export sales would be great to establish that HAL can provide a good after sales spares and support service. If that is forthcoming, I think that the prospects of selling MWF to other countries in the future will be much improved.

ladder

Country flag

View attachment 81716
Yes, that's because Naval prototype was the first to be equipped with 725 lit. center line external fuel tank/ drop tank.

IOC Tejas didn't have wet plumbing for center line hard point. It had wet plumbing only on two inner hard points.
I think all FOC Tejas have wet plumbing on center line as well as inner hard points.

Spitfire9

Country flag
IOC Tejas didn't have wet plumbing for center line hard point. It had wet plumbing only on two inner hard points.
I think all FOC Tejas have wet plumbing on center line as well as inner hard points.
Would that mean a lot of work doing a conversion of IOC frames to FOC config?

ladder

Country flag
Would that mean a lot of work doing a conversion of IOC frames to FOC config?
Low internal volume of the small airframe of Tejas will always be a hindrance to any upgradation effort. But I am not technically competent enough to tell the level of difficulty involved.

That HAL and IAF have said that IOC Tejas can be upgraded to near FOC level, says the conversion is possible and planned.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles