LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Can't believe that HAL babus didn't know to make standardized parts in this day and age of reusability ! IAF had to teach them manufacturing eh ? Babus will be the downfall of this nation
Till FOC designs are frozen , low volume mfg and frequent design changes are issues stallng easy parts replacement

However after FOC Tejas design got certified fr "assembly line parts interchangeability" (I cant recall the exact certifying nomenclature )

SO this wont be a problem down the line

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I do not understand why you place IOC in a different niche to FOC.

Also, unless FOC is quite a lot more expensive than IOC, why would anyone choose IOC? Tejas has a very short range and from what I have read of a central fuel tank being added to the FOC version, FOC internal fuel capacity is increased by ~30% over IOC. Plus FOC has A2A refuelling.

Also, is Astra being integrated on IOC as well as on FOC?
There is no such thing as IOC and FOC Tejas

Onve FOC is certified

All software and hardware patches are ported on to IOC tejas and they become FOC Tejas

SImilarly all of them can be upgraded to MK1A standards in MLU

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I was referring to a country that invokes great animosity. Good thing I only hinted at its name, isn't it?

But yes, I can see the possible availability of a load of ex-USAF F-16's possibly presenting problems to the sale of new light fighters by the likes of SAAB, HAL, KAI.
They'll definitely try to get more through Arab route . We know Jordan and Egypt etc.may throw a few piece at them.

But at the same time the presence of 100s of F-16 which will be available create an obvious opportunity for porks

IndianHawk

Country flag
This cats system will keep 4.5 gen birds relevant for long time. The mothership may not be stealthy but cats warrior will be stealthy and be sent ahead for penetration mission .

I'm pretty sure this whole system will be ported to su30 mki too. All 270 of them have weapons officers seat . So some can be dedicatedly converted into cats operaters.

lcafanboy

Country flag
There is no such thing as IOC and FOC Tejas

Onve FOC is certified

All software and hardware patches are ported on to IOC tejas and they become FOC Tejas

SImilarly all of them can be upgraded to MK1A standards in MLU
I doubt SP 1, SP 2, SP 3, SP 4 are not upgradable to MK1A standards rest maybe they will just qualify to get FOC software. MK1A has significant structural changes.

SP 1 and SP 2 airframes were ready even before IOC 2 certification and I think SP 3 and SP 4 were too on the jigs at that time. I think SP 6 onwards interchangeable standards were brought in and airframes from there onwards should be able to take the MK1A upgrades...

Ghost hale

Country flag
Is there a reason we can't mount a BVR on 3rd pylons?
It can. For air to air only it can but that doesn't makes sense as jets are always in pack and large number of AAMs usually means longer flight duration requiring more fuel. Its vicious circle. Technically it can be done if points are not set as per particular protocol which seems unlikely for aircraft with limited hardpoints.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
It can. For air to air only it can but that doesn't makes sense as jets are always in pack and large number of AAMs usually means longer flight duration requiring more fuel. Its vicious circle. Technically it can be done if points are not set as per particular protocol which seems unlikely for aircraft with limited hardpoints.
Modern BVR combat dictates the party carrying more pointy sticks have a general advantage. A jet running out of missiles between an air-to-air engagement is a death sentence.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Modern BVR combat dictates the party carrying more pointy sticks have a general advantage. A jet running out of missiles between an air-to-air engagement is a death sentence.
U r telling about a doctrine old for a decade and that to of Air superiority fighter go for the load. Interceptors and ground attack keep for retaliation. Modern warfare will depend on who have better substitutes like wingman or UCAV and even avionics for stealth for that matter etc. Its what is in next 5 10 years for which these fighters are.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
U r telling about a doctrine old for a decade and that to of Air superiority fighter go for the load. Interceptors and ground attack keep for retaliation. Modern warfare will depend on who have better substitutes like wingman or UCAV and even avionics for stealth for that matter etc. Its what is in next 5 10 years for which these fighters are.
We need to develop Tejas as a multirole aircraft rather than binding its feet as point-defense or interceptor. Although I believe more of the multirole parameters will be met in the Mk2 version.

Wingman concept and autonomous drone warfare is something a bit ~(15-20 years or more) to mature into a real threat. Currently, wingman may be able to act as a good ground attack but air to air combat is a bit into the future.
In the next 5-10 years, we direly require good numbers of 4th+ gen fighters because China will be on us like flies on shit with their insane manufacturing capacity.

Ghost hale

Country flag
We need to develop Tejas as a multirole aircraft rather than binding its feet as point-defense or interceptor. Although I believe more of the multirole parameters will be met in the Mk2 version.

Wingman concept and autonomous drone warfare is something a bit ~(15-20 years or more) to mature into a real threat. Currently, wingman may be able to act as a good ground attack but air to air combat is a bit into the future.
In the next 5-10 years, we direly require good numbers of 4th+ gen fighters because China will be on us like flies on shit with their insane manufacturing capacity.
Agree with u on most points. Just some basic pointers. MK1 and 1a are interceptors to replace mig 21 but are much more capable and should be better than any PAF except f-16. Multirole mirages, mig 29 and jaguars ground attack numbers are to be filled by mk2s. 3-4 Wingman will be in air by 2025. Arrow is already in production. And air to air addition is not much upgrade for wingman and can be done within years.
At last, Chinese jets are shit. They have numbers true but 500+ J7 are just bad projection for any air force. Add to it least trained pilots with multinational excercises and bad avionics and under powered engines. Number is might and we shouldn't take them lightly but if it comes to full scale long war than it will factor in which is not possible in current world scenario. There is too much money and political careers on the lines.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
I doubt SP 1, SP 2, SP 3, SP 4 are not upgradable to MK1A standards rest maybe they will just qualify to get FOC software. MK1A has significant structural changes.

SP 1 and SP 2 airframes were ready even before IOC 2 certification and I think SP 3 and SP 4 were too on the jigs at that time. I think SP 6 onwards interchangeable standards were brought in and airframes from there onwards should be able to take the MK1A upgrades...
I am not aware of any deep strctural changes proposed in mk1A.

I f you know, please post.

Since Mk1A is HAL effort , I dont think it will v significant changesd, that hv to be validated by ADA,CEMILAC etc

ladder

Country flag
I am not aware of any deep strctural changes proposed in mk1A.

I f you know, please post.

Since Mk1A is HAL effort , I dont think it will v significant changesd, that hv to be validated by ADA,CEMILAC etc
Just wanted to point out that ADA is involved in MK-1A as an consultant. The CCS clearance for MK1A deal included an ADA consultation fees/cost.
About structural changes, I am not aware.
But, can't dismiss the above only on the grounds that MK1A is HAL baby.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Just wanted to point out that ADA is involved in MK-1A as an consultant. The CCS clearance for MK1A deal included an ADA consultation fees/cost.
About structural changes, I am not aware.
But, can't dismiss the above only on the grounds that MK1A is HAL baby.
Simply, I hvnt read about big structural changes on Mk1A, Beyond that I am not implying anything

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Wanna bomb somewhere????
Bit of background on this...

I found out that Tejas had been tested to carry maximum 4 dumb-bombs, in the following loadouts.
Tejas_tandem_bombs_&_midboard_drop_tanks.jpg
20582270.jpg

Now the latter made no sense to me, as the former obviously would vastly outrange it... even with a central tank.

As it happened, I knew a photo of Tejas tandem-bomb test (can't find it anymore, Google showing my vandalisms only) that matches this one perfectly.
main-qimg-f9eaba72eb87b72d79806a05e30e8f6d.png

So I went to town with it. Edited on two of the tandem-pylon, moved around the bombs to match the light/shades & now half the Internet thinks it a real photo 😅
But then lo&behold in Aero India 2021 ADA brochure........
Screenshot (112).png

Wait a bit, I'm working on an even better one 🙃
clarkson.jpg

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles