LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Ghost hale

Country flag
I see. But if they're flown but not handed over to IAF, it'd be safe to assume that they were undergoing those changes (as we see SP-21, tail no 5017 in there too)... elsewhere.

So the ones in the video could be 24 & 26, 28, 30!!!? 😃😃😃😃
Nice 😋
Don't raise our expectation that much but it is very much possible as HAL was super confident of putting all on jigs. Hope some news come up.
Tail number can be old in that video as that is from april 2020.

Chinmoy

Country flag
When will the nature of the problem preventing FOC a/c being delivered be made known?
1 Tejas FOC delivery till now is not just unimpressive, it is disastrous. Who is responsible?
We all know the nature of problem HAL is facing in delivering FOC a/cs.
Now who is responsible? If we have to make a list, it would be a waste of time and energy right now. But personally I believe HAL is doing a good job with Tejas as of now. They do need a breathing space time to time.

SARTHAK

Country flag
Very difficult to explain thw crux. Just understand that Rafale has a very very sensitive enemy detection and a very fast data processing speed. Combined with a state of the art SPECTRA, it is one of the most deadly fighters in the world right now.
Sir i found something useful for the topic though not able to understand fully,can you take a look at it
find the para "phase interferometry"

Chinmoy

Country flag
Its highly impossible to feel the "G's" that the FOC variants can touch on an LSP flight. I am aware that only 1 FOC has been delivered yet and that exactly what my point is.
Sorry, but what you are saying is highly irrelevant. We are not doing any change in the structure, engine, avionics of Tejas vis a vis IOC and FOC. So this theory that FOC would be better then LSP variants in performance is pure imagination.

It has already been said by HAL and the tests pilots that we are gradually opening the envelope of flight parameters. This is done in LSP before being implemented in serial production variant. So this theory of feeling different in FOC variant is a pure imagination.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Sorry, but what you are saying is highly irrelevant. We are not doing any change in the structure, engine, avionics of Tejas vis a vis IOC and FOC. So this theory that FOC would be better then LSP variants in performance is pure imagination.

It has already been said by HAL and the tests pilots that we are gradually opening the envelope of flight parameters. This is done in LSP before being implemented in serial production variant. So this theory of feeling different in FOC variant is a pure imagination.
Point accepted. So what you are saying that these subsystems have already been integrated on to the LSPs to certify them for FOC therefore its performance is going to be at par with FOC. Makes sense !! Thanks.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Point accepted. So what you are saying that these subsystems have already been integrated on to the LSPs to certify them for FOC therefore its performance is going to be at par with FOC. Makes sense !! Thanks.
Yes. Every changes and sub system integration is first done in LSPs and later on after successful testing, integrated into SPs. For example the IFR probe was first integrated into LSP 3 (!) and on air refuelling in done on it.
Uttam RADAR is integrated into LSP 5, 6.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Yes. Every changes and sub system integration is first done in LSPs and later on after successful testing, integrated into SPs. For example the IFR probe was first integrated into LSP 3 (!) and on air refuelling in done on it.
Uttam RADAR is integrated into LSP 5, 6.
Completely agree with it, I should have thought about that. My bad.

MonaLazy

Uttam in LSP 5, 6.
LSP 2 & 3

From IDRW

Limited Series Production (LSP-3) of LCA-Tejas aircraft has been integrated with the second Uttam Aesa Fire Control Radar (FCR) to speed up the program so that it can be made available on Tejas MK1A. LSP-2 was the first aircraft that was equipped with Uttam Aesa FCR after it completed initial trials onboard a leased Business jet and on Dornier Do 228 aircraft.

LSP-3 is also being equipped with an advanced electronic warfare suite (EW suite) that has been developed by Defence Avionics Research Establishment (DARE), a lab specializing in avionics and electronic warfare systems for combat aircraft. Tejas-PV1 combat aircraft was used as a testbed to test the EW suite, but since now the aircraft has been retired, LSP-3 will be used for further fine-tuning.

LSP3 will be on static display in Aero India 2021. In past, LSP3 aircraft underwent all high angles of attack tests and the 8.5g test. Project Director Mr. D Seshagiri (LRDE) in charge of the UTTAM Active electronically scanned array (AESA) Fire Control Radar (FCR )program has confirmed that Indigenously developed UTTAM FCR is going through its phase by phase demonstration of all its operational modes and the radar will be cleared for production in 2021.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Some interesting tidbits regarding LCA Tejas export attempts other than Sri Lanka & Bangladesh hype.

Tejas on Export: Egypt, Malaysia, and Singapore mulling Tejas-LIFT over JF-17 Thunder for Training
Three countries Egypt, Malaysia, and Singapore have shown interest in procurement of the trainer jet to be used for the Advance level of Pilot training program in their respected air forces.
Mar 01, 2021

1500x500.jpeg
LCA Tejas Twin-Seat LIFT Trainer Jet

As per defense reports, The Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) that manufactures Tejas- aircraft in the country is getting a lot of inquiries for the Trainer variant of the jet and after the price was revealed to be 284 crores, which is just under $40 million per unit for the aircraft.

Three countries Egypt, Malaysia, and Singapore have shown interest in procurement of the trainer jet to be used for the Advance level of Pilot training program in their respected air force.

Malaysia already has evaluated Tejas-Trainer jets a few years back and had shown interest in the jet to be used in the training and combat roles, Air force officials were keen on Tejas over JF-17 that was offered by China and Pakistan due to Tejas been equipped with an American engine, which the local crew preferred and were all familiar with.

However a deal was not able to go through due to the financial woes of the country and even though India had agreed for the balance of payment to be taken in the Palm oil trade.

Republic of Singapore Air Force (RSAF) has Joint Training arrangements with India to use its facilities for training of its Pilots in India and a few years back, the defense minister of Singapore also had flown in the Tejas trainer for demonstration purposes and seemed impressed by the performance of the jet.

RSAF is looking for an advanced trainer that can be used to train Pilots for largely American made fighter jets like F-35, F-16, and F-15, and the use of American engines in Tejas trainer has come as a bonus for the aircraft but it is facing some high-level competition from Boeing that is keen to sell its T-7A Red Hawk.

Egyptian Air Force (EAF) is looking at replacing its aging Dassault/Dornier Alpha Jet that it had procured in the ’80s and is nearing its service life. EAF wants a full combat aircraft that can be occasionally be also used for advanced levels of training pilots. EAF has recently procured Sukhoi-35 and Dassault Rafale and also operates F-16, Mirage-2000, and Mirage-III fleet.
HAL is developing a lead-in-fighter trainer (LIFT) built on the Light Combat Aircraft Twin-seater Trainer platform to be used training pilots after the Advanced Jet Training stage and before induction of pilots into a frontline fighter squadron.

Whitecollar

Country flag
Sir i found something useful for the topic though not able to understand fully,can you take a look at it
find the para "phase interferometry"
As I said before, interferometry is done on an EM wave eg. a light wave. Nowhere in this article there is a mention of EM wave magnitude or type. They also assume what I'm assuming that some form of EM wave is getting captured by Rafale's antenna and it tries to do enemy DF.

Spitfire9

Country flag
I may be wrong but my guess is that there are problems with tolerances. Can anyone explain why parts are not otherwise interchangeable? If that is the case, HAL must have been aware of the problem when assembling the aircraft. I guess that would also affect the IOC a/c delivered already.
If the delay in delivery of FOC aircraft results in HAL (and/or suppliers) being forced to observe tolerances, that will save a load of maintenance time in the future, won't it?

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Some interesting tidbits regarding LCA Tejas export attempts other than Sri Lanka & Bangladesh hype.

Tejas on Export: Egypt, Malaysia, and Singapore mulling Tejas-LIFT over JF-17 Thunder for Training

HAL is developing a lead-in-fighter trainer (LIFT) built on the Light Combat Aircraft Twin-seater Trainer platform to be used training pilots after the Advanced Jet Training stage and before induction of pilots into a frontline fighter squadron.
Singapore will buy American stuff...

Egypt is a jungle of aircrafts they may buy ours too there ain't a single country they haven't bought from. 😂

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I may be wrong but my guess is that there are problems with tolerances. Can anyone explain why parts are not otherwise interchangeable? If that is the case, HAL must have been aware of the problem when assembling the aircraft. I guess that would also affect the IOC a/c delivered already.
If the delay in delivery of FOC aircraft results in HAL (and/or suppliers) being forced to observe tolerances, that will save a load of maintenance time in the future, won't it?
Because if you'll notice carefully, some of the the jets use noticably different canopies on their cockpits... there are more differences internally. They're still trying out some stuff & this is a final standardisation drive.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Because if you'll notice carefully, some of the the jets use noticably different canopies on their cockpits... there are more differences internally. They're still trying out some stuff & this is a final standardisation drive.
Thanks for that info. I was onfused by thinking that the production series aircraft would all be the same.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

IAF Chief meets PM Mahinda Rajapaksa during 2-day goodwill visit to Sri Lanka
ANI | Mar 03, 2021

Hihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi
Thanks for that info. I was onfused by thinking that the production series aircraft would all be the same.
They would be, now on....

IndianHawk

Country flag
I am out of the touch now a days
Hope. Tejas will be exported to a foreign country
We have many variant s of Tejas
Poor countries can afford Tejas foc easily
It's only a matter a time before Tejas is exported. Not many alternatives to it. Jf17 has faulty russian engine ( a maintenance nightmare) and chinese avionics band weaponary which remains questionable .

Gripen c/d doesn't exist and gripen E is very costly.

F16 is heavier and costlier .

Lca will make its own niche.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
IOC & LIFT are more likely to see exports, for smaller economies that would expect low intensity conflicts (pirates or insurgents) & as light fighter for proper AFs of countries like a Malaysia. In that department LCA is miles ahead of any competition.

FOC & Mark1A would have a harder time, because they are not best in their niche. Gripen, F-16 etc. are serious contenders in the roles of light multirole fighters & unless the cost is the main deciding factor.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles