LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Gerlat

Country flag
Different missions require different requirements. In surgical-strike-like requirements, where you are attacking a high-value target while in the high-threat environment, is where you will look at stealth/standoff munitions.
However, in a full-fledged war or military campaign, SEAD + DEAD will be carried out before ground attack. In such a scenario, RCS won't matter. A prime example of this will be the Iraq invasion.

Also if the role of heavyweight bombers is eradicated, then America won't be operating B1-B and B-52.

Rafales are a recent addition to the arsenal, and strategy & tactics revolving around it will be developed in the meantime. Our primary strategy remains using Su-30MKIs as SEAD platforms and using either Jaguar/Mirage/Su-30MKI in DEAD operations.

If Su-27 has an RCS of 10m2, then Su-30MKI should not exceed 11m2. The whole airframe is the same, except canards, which won't contribute more than 1m2 in itself.
Maybe you are right, may be not. Till date the real RCS were unknown. Maybe su27 having 15m2, su30mki having 16.5m2. so I'm sticking with 15m2 for su30mki [assumption].

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
@Ghost hale sorry typo. Edited.

@Lost user Anantha Krishnan interviewed the COAS at AI21, when he asked about the mwf numbers & was answered that would depend on the rate we can induct & operate AMCA.

108 minimum as per latest news available.

Gerlat

Country flag
What additional info about IAF tactical plans u have which allows u to make informed decision on that. It is in large number so can be used more. It has more carrying capacity so can carry more armaments. These are facts but it is also a fact that a package generally contains 1 or 2 air superiority and more interceptors or ground attack fighters.
Kh 31. Rudram. Su30mki is capable of dead.

IndianHawk

Country flag
I have lost hope on HAL, most incompetent PSU after OFB. 4 years should’ve been the deadline, its been a decade of production and only half are delivered and this same organisation will produce LCA-AF-MK2, LCA-AF-MK1A, TEDBF, LIFT, CATS, AMCA and GHATAK UCAV.
HAL will produce mk1a only.
Who will build mk2 , tedbf , amca is yet to be decided.
Most likely private sector. HAL might only be lead integrator .

SARTHAK

Country flag
Is that too high??? composite component less, bigger size, old design set for maneuverability not stealth and with armaments can very well be the case. And anyhow these are data which they have. Its not necessary that these are exact performance and even latest.
4 m2 can be with 2 missiles.

Killbot

Country flag

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
MWF will be the mainstay of the IAF when it enters service. Regardless of AMCA.
Concern is production, I feel production should be the main focus right now as 20 MK1, 83 MK1A, 170 MK2, 200 TEDBF, 114 MMRCA, 100+ LIFT, 125 AMCA and maybe ORCA as well then CATS, Rustom and GHATAK all would require mass production.

Rassil Krishnan

Country flag
Concern is production, I feel production should be the main focus right now as 20 MK1, 83 MK1A, 170 MK2, 200 TEDBF, 114 MMRCA, 100+ LIFT, 125 AMCA and maybe ORCA as well then CATS, Rustom and GHATAK all would require mass production.
The production of lca is mostly done by private sector as of know itself,hal is only lead integrator and tester and then hands it to the forces.i am sure the private sector will be faster in later models of lca and amca .the corona situation had slowed down their production speeds.unless they produce fast,hal can't integrate fast.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
The production of lca is mostly done by private sector as of know itself,hal is only lead integrator and tester and then hands it to the forces.i am sure the private sector will be faster in later models of lca and amca .the corona situation had slowed down their production speeds.unless they produce fast,hal can't integrate fast.
Current speed of MK1 production gives me really bad vibes. It smh how are we going to induct all on time...

Ghost hale

Country flag
From this we can clearly see atleast 4 FOC Tejas have been built & gathering dust, but only 3 has down (last one 6 months post schedule) & handed over, that too mostly ceremonial.

Has anyone been able to find a clue what has been the hold-up?.. I got nada.
7 FOC down from 8 were to be delivered by march 2021. As per last info flight trials were being conducted. Most probably 6 will be given in a batch. Flight trials might not have been completed as assembly was delayed because of covid.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
7 FOC down from 8 were to be delivered by march 2021. As per last info flight trials were being conducted. Most probably 6 will be given in a batch. Flight trials might not have been completed as assembly was delayed because of covid.
We know they are made... or atleast in some degree of completion. But 1st flight is always declared. So only the 1st 3 had flown.
I was (we all were actually) regarding what's the hold-up in handover to IAF. The IOC jets were delivered to users within days!

Doing like toys the evetual delivery of the whole lot may not be delayed, but they'll miss the March target of handing them over.

IndianHawk

Country flag
@Ghost hale sorry typo. Edited.

@Lost user Anantha Krishnan interviewed the COAS at AI21, when he asked about the mwf numbers & was answered that would depend on the rate we can induct & operate AMCA.

108 minimum as per latest news available.
With just 123 lca + 108 MWF single engine jets will be only 230 and rest 400 will be twin engine jets !! Which will bleed IAF operational expenditure .

To keep operational expenditure balanced more than half of airforce must consist of single engine jets.
So MWF will come upwards 200 regardless of amca progress.

Killbot

Country flag
With just 123 lca + 108 MWF single engine jets will be only 230 and rest 400 will be twin engine jets !! Which will bleed IAF operational expenditure .

To keep operational expenditure balanced more than half of airforce must consist of single engine jets.
170 to 201 MWF. No way IAF is so invested in it for a mere 108 jets. MWF is intended to replace MiG-29, Jag and M2k. That is over 200 jets. 323 SE jets in total.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

170 to 201 MWF. No way IAF is so invested in it for a mere 108 jets. MWF is intended to replace MiG-29, Jag and M2k. That is over 200 jets. 323 SE jets in total.
COAS's words, not mine. Maybe there's gonna be a semi-stealth Mark3 post 2035. Plus potentially hundreds of unmanned wingmans & single engine drones should be counted too.

There'd be massive parts commonality... Same engines over ⅔rd of the fleet... Operation & maintenance related issues or expenditure are likely to reduce whatever they do.

Killbot

Country flag
COAS's words, not mine. Maybe there's gonna be a semi-stealth Mark3 post 2035. Plus potentially hundreds of unmanned wingmans & single engine drones should be counted too.

There'd be massive parts commonality... Same engines over ⅔rd of the fleet... Operation & maintenance related issues or expenditure are likely to reduce whatever they do.
How invested is IAF in unmanned-manned teaming? Will it make up for fighter jet fleet strength?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles