LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Wow. That's secret technical info. What's your source for this?.. BTW how do you know if Mica's 80km max range is high.alt or not?

Anyways I mentioned that this is the combo with ASRAAM that makes Tejas' missile package better... Unless Mirage-2000 gets Meteor it can't hope to match.
If it's mentioned by the developer themselves it's not a secret, 110 km range ( head on ) mentioned is max range at high altitude (15 km)

Else why are we even discussing Derby ER integration with range mentioned as 100 km in official brochure by Rafael.

MICA enter production/service in 96 while Astra (design based on Matra 530D/R77) in 2017 that's around 20 yrs older not 30 . Infact even AIM series enter production during the same time as MICA and all upgraded version are older than Astra.

*MICA IIR with TV nozzle outrange ASRAAM and they both outrange IRIS T or python.

but can it justify the cost difference is the real question.

Ghost hale

Country flag
Just to keep record straight.... Tejas is 43 million USD... So cant really understand comparison. Even weight category and role of both are different.

Last edited:

Roland55

Country flag
Just to keep record straight.... Tejas is 43 million USD... So cant really understand comparison. Even weight category and role of both are different.
A very competitive price considering the FA-50 is 40M and that the JF-17 B3 will round the same numbers!

Roland55

Country flag
/jf17 B2 was 20 Million. Tejas is far above the competition in capability.
I estimate a lot more for the B3 since it improves its Airframe life, incorporates FBW, AESA radar and a few other stuff. But still Tejas Mk.1A offers a lot more in comparison.

Ghost hale

Country flag
I estimate a lot more for the B3 since it improves its Airframe life, incorporates FBW, AESA radar and a few other stuff. But still Tejas Mk.1A offers a lot more in comparison.
B2 is 25 Million and B3 is 30-32 Million. Its good options for countries with low threat requirement.

Abhay Rajput 02

If it's mentioned by the developer themselves it's not a secret, 110 km range ( head on ) mentioned is max range at high altitude (15 km)

Else why are we even discussing Derby ER integration with range mentioned as 100 km in official brochure by Rafael.

MICA enter production/service in 96 while Astra (design based on Matra 530D/R77) in 2017 that's around 20 yrs older not 30 . Infact even AIM series enter production during the same time as MICA and all upgraded version are older than Astra.

*MICA IIR with TV nozzle outrange ASRAAM and they both outrange IRIS T or python.

but can it justify the cost difference is the real question.
Indeed Mica is a great missile especailly its ir variant which gives very little warning to target. it has good pk capability and was recently integrated with su30mki,. I would personally love to see mica on tejas .

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag

We aren't, no more than Spike-ER. Both were condsidered because we needed backup options.

Range calculations is similar for Mica. 80km max achievable range at head-on & high-altitude.
And ASRAAM has dual pulse along with TVC... Mica can never hope to match its terminal maneuverability, its TVC is only available at short range when it still had fuel.

Bottomline... At 80km (& similar launch conditions) Astra will far outperform MICA. And at 50km ASRAAM will far outperform MICA. It's only equal at short ranges.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
As far as I know , Astra mk2 will have both dual pulse and TVC .

Let's see
But Mark2 probably can't be used at short ranges... Hard no such indication. One thing unique about Israeli Derby is, that it can be used within visual range (atleast advertised so). It starts with active radar homing.

And I've heard Astra-IR is gonna be based on Mark1 which is lighter (range is limited to half its max range, meaning it'll have no shortage of energy to require dual-pulse...unlike ASRAAM).

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
But Mark2 probably can't be used at short ranges... Hard no such indication. One thing unique about Israeli Derby is, that it can be used within visual range (atleast advertised so). It starts with active radar homing.

And I've heard Astra-IR is gonna be based on Mark1 which is lighter (range is limited to half its max range, meaning it'll have no shortage of energy to require dual-pulse...unlike ASRAAM).
Any timeline or info for astra ir, it's just under the cover for too long , shouldn't take so much for a wvr missile .

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
Any timeline or info for astra ir, it's just under the cover for too long , shouldn't take so much for a wvr missile .
The thing is private participation, DRDO is already overburdened by their work, Private partners should help in development of such systems or do it 100% independently.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
ASRAAM has TVC ? @Bleh ??

IRIST and MICA have as far as I know. Please share the link ..
It does now (which is likely to be the "NG-CCM" we'll induct standardise over the fleet to replace R-73)...
www.flightglobal.com/bae-offers-thrust-vectored-asraam

I frankly don't know why they didn't go with this originally. Its predecessor had TV. 🤷‍♂️
Enters trial in 2022.

porky_kicker

Country flag

I will beg to differ on that

Every missile has a minimum range and a maximum range .

And a dual pulse propulsion offers a added flexibility .

It has a boost coast boost coast flight mode

For minimal range it can just use the 1st pulse ie boost phase only and skip the next coast and the final boost and the final coast phase

And for added kinematic performance within the minimal range for dog fighting , it can use the 1st pulse to reach the minimum range and then use the 2nd pulse for terminal end game maneuvers ( ie skip the 2 coast phase entirely ).

As for Astra IR

It is known that it is based on Astra mk1 , possibly there will be some design changes and addition of TVC for better aerodynamic performance for dog fighting.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
The thing is private participation, DRDO is already overburdened by their work, Private partners should help in development of such systems or do it 100% independently.
100% independence is something unacievable right now , drdo must integrate them for sub system , that's the best way

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles