LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Blank

Country flag
USA has shared Nuclear technology with Pakistan and their sole purpose was to counter India they threatened to nuke India in 1971 and many analysts believe it to be the main reason behind nuclear detonation by India in 1973
Pakistani F16s as well as their AIM-120C missiles come from USA and the primary objective of giving long range aur to air missiles to Pakistan was to Counter indian Airforce Nothing else
So...? China shared tech with Pakistan as well and their purpose was to counter India as well. Pakistan shared tech with NK as well. I have read somewhere that we bought our first pressure water reactor from Canada as well. Do we owe or have some appreciation towards Canada for that? Nada, niet.

Countries do things what they believe are in their interests. Once the situation changes, they also changed their ways.

If you look closely, each of US enemies have bad reputation in the world. Iran, North Korea, China, Russia. Some are artificially designed and are maligned so they appear as threat to normal countries. There is an entire ecosystem where if one country is perceived as enemy of US. Entire western world forms a coalition against that world.

In that aspect, us giving weapons to such a country is just throwing eggs in a stone and hope it breaks.

There are much better ways to counter US one at a time. Just like how China is trying to.... Piece by piece.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Fair question. India does not need to export Mk1A but if India is serious about becoming a force in the world of fighter aircraft, being able to supply in a reasonable time is mighty important.

I agree and disagree. IAF is extremely short of squadrons. I think that robbing Peter (IAF) to pay Paul (export customer) would exacerbate the problem. And if India were under more pressure to buy expensive foreign fighters due to diverting low cost indigenous fighters to export, what would be the point of exporting Mk1A?
They aren't going to get robbed of anything any export order can be met by ramping up production and depending on number asked for.

Infact if IAF's quota of Mk1a is taken by export customers it's fine as IAF will be happy to get more Mk2 version .

arkos

Country flag
Malaysia you mean by any chance?.. They have Su-30MKM & F-18 & Hawk. I don't see room for any light fighter (their tender is dead in water).

Indonesia operates Su-30MKK & F-16. Their BAE Hawk 208 are auite vintage & might need replacement.

Sandwiched between them Singapore operates F-16C/D, F-15SG & F-35B. They actually are a bot top heavy, but maybe they need it that way.

Thailand operates F-16 & Jas-39 Gripen, while Myanmar operates FC-1.

Royal Cambodian Air Force was reportedly the unknownSE Asian country attempting to buy Chink FTC-2000... No updates. There's a viable opening.

Laos still operates propeller aircrafts, they might want to change that.

But out best bet is Vietnam. They use Su-28/30 as air-superiority & Su-22 as A2G. There's our opening.

Philippines flies FA-50 & some other trainers, mostly for CAS. Tejas may have a hope with pressure mounting on them.
I see we only have a realistic chance to sell Tejas to Indonesia and Philippines. Philippines has a ongoing project to buy 12 MRCAs for 1.8 Billion USD. I think with 40 million price tag Tejas does look attractive offer. But HAL and DRDO need to show strong Anti Ship capability for any sale in South east region since that is the most likely role for any MRCA in that region. I think if we promise to integrate Brahmos NG with Mk1a, the deal can easily become a winner.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I see we only have a realistic chance to sell Tejas to Indonesia and Philippines. Philippines has a ongoing project to buy 12 MRCAs for 1.8 Billion USD. I think with 40 million price tag Tejas does look attractive offer. But HAL and DRDO need to show strong Anti Ship capability for any sale in South east region since that is the most likely role for any MRCA in that region. I think if we promise to integrate Brahmos NG with Mk1a, the deal can easily become a winner.
Vietnam too. But they don't have any acquisition program firing on. Otherwise Su-22 is not match to even this FOC, let alone Tejas Mark1A or Max with CATS & Brahmos-NG.

EtfI1v6VEAArsRA.jpeg

Last edited:

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Fair question. India does not need to export Mk1A but if India is serious about becoming a force in the world of fighter aircraft, being able to supply in a reasonable time is mighty important.
HAL is looking at opening centers in south East Asia which obviously means HAL is eying on exports. Earlier we did not have an export policy or an SOP that enabled some of the desi players to export their stuff, now that we have a proper system in place backed with a thriving eco, I am sure HAL can deliver a good show.

I agree and disagree. IAF is extremely short of squadrons. I think that robbing Peter (IAF) to pay Paul (export customer) would exacerbate the problem. And if India were under more pressure to buy expensive foreign fighters due to diverting low cost indigenous fighters to export, what would be the point of exporting Mk1A?
You are not going to sit around the corner doing nothing and take mangoes out of peter's bucket and give it to Paul, you are obviously going to expand the existing assembly lets say within a span of an year to ensure deliveries meet within the contracted time.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
I am not defense personnel, but i find the maneuvers nothing special compared to Sukhoi or Rafale or others. I understand that ADA has put in software limitation keeping safety in mind but still --
Don't you think the light weight fighter hitting 70-80% maneuverability of the aforementioned fighters by itself an achievement? This shows the robustness of the digital fly-by-wire system.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
I am not defense personnel, but i find the maneuvers nothing special compared to Sukhoi or Rafale or others. I understand that ADA has put in software limitation keeping safety in mind but still --
Your observation isn't... incorrect.
To get any more than this you'll need TVC, or atleast canards. But in some moves ITR of Tejas here almost matches Rafales's. STR lesser than that but comparable to F-16 or Gripen. Even some of Eurofighter Typhoon's moves are similar.

Anyways we were pointing out how the demo have got more aggressive & flashy, with more rolls & short sharp turns. Earlier it was kinda shit with some same basic maneuvers being done.

Last edited:

vasusuman

Country flag
Your observation isn't... incorrect.
To get any more than this you'll need TVC, or atleast canards. But in some moves ITR of Tejas here almost matches Rafales's. STR lesser than that but comparable to F-16 or Gripen. Even some of Eurofighter Typhoon's moves are similar.

Anyways we were pointing out how the demo have got more aggressive & flashy, with more rolls & short sharp turns. Earlier it was kinda shit with some same basic maneuvers being done.
Yes Sirji.U know better technically.

I had watched the Bahrain airshow live. The commentator was expecting more.
Now, this time its maneuvers have been far better fm, Bahrain Show, even to common people like us. To gain the international market, they need to plan better- may involve 2 fighters in airshows. I hope with time n confidence, it will get better and software upgrade allowing more aggressive maneuvers.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
IMO it's Srilanka. There airforce operated Kfir jets from Israel. So, they might not have problem with Israel just like Malaysia for components.
South East asia according to HAL. Not South Asia, Sri Lanka is a South Asian country. Maybe the south east asian country is Malaysia (their light fighter competition for 36 aircraft).

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Yes Sirji.U know better technically.

I had watched the Bahrain airshow live. The commentator was expecting more.
Now, this time its maneuvers have been far better fm, Bahrain Show, even to common people like us. To gain the international market, they need to plan better- may involve 2 fighters in airshows. I hope with time n confidence, it will get better and software upgrade allowing more aggressive maneuvers.
No Bahrain was a much better show than anything other than this aero india and airforce day shows...with all these displays,Tejas was showcasing its ability to perform maneuvers(with no sweat) rather than pioneering agressive maneuvers,those will be displayed only in the future when Tejas establishes a substantial market.....

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Aab iss dosti ko Defence Deal me badal dete hain
Remember Bangladesh still has the Defense Line of Credit uncashed.
Only way Bangladesh can pay for Tejas is by exchanging them for their 8 Mig-29s (bought in '99) that we might cannibalise... India funded Bangladesh's purchase of MiG Spares anyway.

The deal itself was controversial & they faced maintenance problems immediately, ground a most of the Mig-29 & by 2002 Bangladesh govt. tried to get rid of them.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles