LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

proud_indian

Country flag
Yes. Nigeria ordered 3, Myanmar ordered a squadron of 16 or 18 (not even half delivered yet).

Tejas has hopes with Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam in SE Asia that may have been mentioned.
According to Saurav Jha
It could be Indonesia

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Indonesia want to pay with palm oil. French Rafale is too expensive for them and CAATSA means no Russian stuff.

That means India do have chance out there and we are a big importer of palm.

But then again highly unlikely they may wait for a few years for things to clear out.

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Indonesia want to pay with palm oil. French Rafale is too expensive for them and CAATSA means no Russian stuff.

But then again highly unlikely they may wait for a few years for things to clear out.
Malaysia you mean by any chance?.. They have Su-30MKM & F-18 & Hawk. I don't see room for any light fighter (their tender is dead in water).

Indonesia operates Su-30MKK & F-16. Their BAE Hawk 208 are auite vintage & might need replacement.

Sandwiched between them Singapore operates F-16C/D, F-15SG & F-35B. They actually are a bot top heavy, but maybe they need it that way.

Thailand operates F-16 & Jas-39 Gripen, while Myanmar operates FC-1.

Royal Cambodian Air Force was reportedly the unknownSE Asian country attempting to buy Chink FTC-2000... No updates. There's a viable opening.

Laos still operates propeller aircrafts, they might want to change that.

But out best bet is Vietnam. They use Su-28/30 as air-superiority & Su-22 as A2G. There's our opening.

Philippines flies FA-50 & some other trainers, mostly for CAS. Tejas may have a hope with pressure mounting on them.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Malaysia you mean by any chance?.. They have Su-30MKM & F-18 & Hawk. I don't see room for any light fighter (their tender is dead in water).

Indonesia operates Su-30MKK & F-16. Their BAE Hawk 208 are auite vintage & might need replacement.

Sandwiched between them Singapore operates F-16C/D, F-15SG & F-35B. They actually are a bot top heavy, but maybe they need it that way.

Thailand operates F-16 & Jas-39 Gripen, while Myanmar operates FC-1.

Royal Cambodian Air Force was reportedly the unknownSE Asian country attempting to buy Chink FTC-2000... No updates. There's a viable opening.

Laos still operates propeller aircrafts, they might want to change that.

But out best bet is Vietnam. They use Su-28/30 as air-superiority & Su-22 as A2G. There's our opening.
I meant Indonesia they are planning to buy 48 units around as per reports.

Malaysia require probably a sqd worth light jets.

Indonesia initially wanted to opt for Su 35 but backed down after CAATSA.

Now they are talking to Dassault for Rafale. But the price will definitely stop them from inducting them in large.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Vietnam,Thailand and Cambodia should be given priority over Indonesia,Malaysia imho as both indonesians and malaysians are goodies with porkshitstanis and any potential hardware export to them should be considered twice.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Imagine country X decides to order 20 Mk1A and country B does the same. I think that would account for around 10 years' production at Nishak. Would those customers be prepared to sign an order requiring a wait of a decade or more to get 1 full squadron of the type? Even if just 1 customer ordered 20, I think that delivery would take 7 years plus from Nishak.

What is the point of trying to export Mk1A if you cannot supply more than token numbers this decade?

Mk1A could well prove to provide the world's best combination of performance against price in a light fighter but air forces need to be able to get their hands on it for India to exploit that position. If India got organised to take advantage of the qualities of the aircraft, orders for 100+ might come its way.

I think that steps to increase production capacity need to be taken now to shorten delivery time.

WarriorIndian

Country flag
Imagine country X decides to order 20 Mk1A and country B does the same. I think that would account for around 10 years' production at Nishak. Would those customers be prepared to sign an order requiring a wait of a decade or more to get 1 full squadron of the type? Even if just 1 customer ordered 20, I think that delivery would take 7 years plus from Nishak.

What is the point of trying to export Mk1A if you cannot supply more than token numbers this decade?

Mk1A could well prove to provide the world's best combination of performance against price in a light fighter but air forces need to be able to get their hands on it for India to exploit that position. If India got organised to take advantage of the qualities of the aircraft, orders for 100+ might come its way.

I think that steps to increase production capacity need to be taken now to shorten delivery time.
Okay, lets assume we wrap up the order for 83 aircrafts in 3 years and for the next 3 years HAL does not have any projects, contracts , what do you do with the assembly line? Companies world over try to get the orders fulfilled through existing production lines. I don't think the Indian Airforce would mind a few aircrafts being exported from their lines until other production lines are upgraded.

Rohan Naik

Country flag

bC barter system from ancient trade period is returning back. Get them pay in Dollars or Gold.... Why to buy palm oil when its shelf life is less and is of no use for us to buy anything against.

Spitfire9

Country flag
Okay, lets assume we wrap up the order for 83 aircrafts in 3 years and for the next 3 years HAL does not have any projects, contracts , what do you do with the assembly line?
Fair question. India does not need to export Mk1A but if India is serious about becoming a force in the world of fighter aircraft, being able to supply in a reasonable time is mighty important.

Companies world over try to get the orders fulfilled through existing production lines. I don't think the Indian Airforce would mind a few aircrafts being exported from their lines until other production lines are upgraded.
I agree and disagree. IAF is extremely short of squadrons. I think that robbing Peter (IAF) to pay Paul (export customer) would exacerbate the problem. And if India were under more pressure to buy expensive foreign fighters due to diverting low cost indigenous fighters to export, what would be the point of exporting Mk1A?

Blank

Country flag
Imported weapons jeopardise our independent foreign policy we should try to import as less as possible
USA is supplying India centric weapons to Pakistan for so many decades we could have supplied Tejas to Iran Afghanistan North Korea Cuba had it been 100% indigenous platform
And get sanctioned in the process? Are you crazy? Even Russia thinks twice before giving weapons to countries like NK, Cuba. Don't let your hatred for US cloud your judgement.

Plus, North Korea and Pak share clandestine relations.

Chandragupt Maurya

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
And get sanctioned in the process? Are you crazy? Even Russia thinks twice before giving weapons to countries like NK, Cuba. Don't let your hatred for US cloud your judgement.

Plus, North Korea and Pak share clandestine relations.
USA has shared Nuclear technology with Pakistan and their sole purpose was to counter India they threatened to nuke India in 1971 and many analysts believe it to be the main reason behind nuclear detonation by India in 1973
Pakistani F16s as well as their AIM-120C missiles come from USA and the primary objective of giving long range aur to air missiles to Pakistan was to Counter indian Airforce Nothing else

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles