LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

FalconZero

Country flag
As per articles "...India responded to the official Request for Information (RFI) with a Lead in Fighter Trainer (LIFT) version of the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft."

Probably to be used as a pressure-point by US in an attempt to ensure GOI chooses F-18 for IAF & IN.
It's probably not the apt thread and slightly OT but I didn't get the logic behind the recent combination of IN and IAF demands for aircraft, by any logic just buying 36 rafales leaving it as such seems like a bad idea if IAF goes for F18/F15E. In terms of logistics and all.
I was thinking to we will probably go for SHs for navy to keep uncle sam happy also considering the fact that he has recently demonstrated STOBAR compatibility in the trails and IAF going for additional rafales...but now I am not sure.

FalconSlayers

धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः
Country flag
It's probably not the apt thread and slightly OT but I didn't get the logic behind the recent combination of IN and IAF demands for aircraft, by any logic just buying 36 rafales leaving it as such seems like a bad idea if IAF goes for F18/F15E. In terms of logistics and all.
I was thinking to we will probably go for SHs for navy to keep uncle sam happy also considering the fact that he has recently demonstrated STOBAR compatibility in the trails and IAF going for additional rafales...but now I am not sure.
Super Hornets are superior than Rafale for Naval Role until Rafale F4 arrives.
I guess IAF is only waiting for Rafale F4 so that they can buy lots of these latest ones.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
That was the original plan... Now it seems the jpont command want the MRFA to be same. Let's wait & see.

WolfPack86

Country flag
ROLE REVERSAL: INDIA OFFERS TO US TEJAS FIGHTER JET TRAINER IN 1ST MAJOR DEFENCE SALES PITCH
India has sent in a detailed project plan, which includes advanced avionics that enable the TEJAS to mimic almost all types of fighter jets

In a reversal of roles, India has offered the US a fighter jet trainer required by its navy for pilot training on aircraft carriers, marking the first major weapons sales pitch by New Delhi to Washington. The Indian offer is for the Undergraduate Jet Training System (UJTS) for which the US Navy has launched a global search.

ET has learnt that India responded to the official Request for Information (RFI) with a Lead In Fighter Trainer (LIFT) version of the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft. The aircraft on offer brings in experience gained by Indian developers from the naval version of the TEJAS that has successfully demonstrated operations from an aircraft carrier.

While the US is still evaluating the offer, India sent in a detailed project plan, which includes advanced avionics that enable the LIFT TEJAS to mimic almost all types of fighter jets, from cockpit display layout to control performances.

“We have done all the work in house,” Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) chairperson R Madhavan told ET. “The same platform can be used to mimic any other platform. All that needs to be done is put in the flying characteristics and things will change to the selected aircraft. For example, if they Rafale characteristics, to the pilot it will seem like he is flying Rafale, which will help in the advanced training process.”

The aircraft on offer is based on the TEJAS Mk 1A that is on order by the Indian Air Force and a demonstrator can be produced if the US Navy goes ahead with the selection process and shortlists it for the next step, which is formal request for proposals (RFP).

While India will be going against a clutch of global manufacturers with a history of developing trainers, developers feel there is an even chance for success as an aircraft of the type does not currently exists. In addition, the TEJAS is one of the few jets in the world that has a demonstrated capability of operating from an aircraft carrier.

As per the US Navy RFI, the TEJAS meets all basic parameters being asked for, which includes an operational aircraft capable of field carrier landing practice and carrier touch and go events. The naval version of the TEJAS has been tested extensively on both at the shore-based testing facility in Goa as well as the INS Vikramaditya.

With the LIFT version of TEJAS expected to meet both domestic and worldwide demands, plans are underway to produce a demonstrator aircraft along with the upcoming order for 83 TEJAS Mk-1 as that is being placed by the air force and is expected to be signed this financial year.

The US has been a significant exporter of military equipment to India, ranging from transport aircraft to artillery guns and attack helicopters. There has been a strong pitch by US arms manufacturers to gather a bigger slice of the India market, with offers in place for new fighter jets, unmanned combat aerial vehicles and air defence systems among others.

Immanuel

Country flag
ROLE REVERSAL: INDIA OFFERS TO US TEJAS FIGHTER JET TRAINER IN 1ST MAJOR DEFENCE SALES PITCH
India has sent in a detailed project plan, which includes advanced avionics that enable the TEJAS to mimic almost all types of fighter jets

In a reversal of roles, India has offered the US a fighter jet trainer required by its navy for pilot training on aircraft carriers, marking the first major weapons sales pitch by New Delhi to Washington. The Indian offer is for the Undergraduate Jet Training System (UJTS) for which the US Navy has launched a global search.

ET has learnt that India responded to the official Request for Information (RFI) with a Lead In Fighter Trainer (LIFT) version of the indigenous Light Combat Aircraft. The aircraft on offer brings in experience gained by Indian developers from the naval version of the TEJAS that has successfully demonstrated operations from an aircraft carrier.

While the US is still evaluating the offer, India sent in a detailed project plan, which includes advanced avionics that enable the LIFT TEJAS to mimic almost all types of fighter jets, from cockpit display layout to control performances.

“We have done all the work in house,” Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) chairperson R Madhavan told ET. “The same platform can be used to mimic any other platform. All that needs to be done is put in the flying characteristics and things will change to the selected aircraft. For example, if they Rafale characteristics, to the pilot it will seem like he is flying Rafale, which will help in the advanced training process.”

The aircraft on offer is based on the TEJAS Mk 1A that is on order by the Indian Air Force and a demonstrator can be produced if the US Navy goes ahead with the selection process and shortlists it for the next step, which is formal request for proposals (RFP).

While India will be going against a clutch of global manufacturers with a history of developing trainers, developers feel there is an even chance for success as an aircraft of the type does not currently exists. In addition, the TEJAS is one of the few jets in the world that has a demonstrated capability of operating from an aircraft carrier.

As per the US Navy RFI, the TEJAS meets all basic parameters being asked for, which includes an operational aircraft capable of field carrier landing practice and carrier touch and go events. The naval version of the TEJAS has been tested extensively on both at the shore-based testing facility in Goa as well as the INS Vikramaditya.

With the LIFT version of TEJAS expected to meet both domestic and worldwide demands, plans are underway to produce a demonstrator aircraft along with the upcoming order for 83 TEJAS Mk-1 as that is being placed by the air force and is expected to be signed this financial year.

The US has been a significant exporter of military equipment to India, ranging from transport aircraft to artillery guns and attack helicopters. There has been a strong pitch by US arms manufacturers to gather a bigger slice of the India market, with offers in place for new fighter jets, unmanned combat aerial vehicles and air defence systems among others.
Wow, finally jumping on a big opportunity. We should give a proper push for this from the highest level, no doubt we'd be the lowest cost and perhaps the most capable aircraft in competition. US would probably need local assembly ( to create jobs locally) but it would be great to win this one. Currently around 220 T-45 Goshawks are used in USN. An order of this magnitude for Tejas Naval LIFT would do miracles for our industry and production ramp up.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
No matter how much junk fighter China exports but it doesn't proves the fact that it is better than LCA.
Which is even sadder... That we aren't even trying.

This US case however I'm really hopeful about (many aren't). I have come across reports that there was some sort of accident with Germany to have them buy LCA trainer & we choose Eurofighter Typhoon instead of Rafale.
Personally I think something similar is happening. Why else would US send us RFI when NLCA isn't even a trainer?

And as @Immanuel pointed out, if successful, we're probably looking at big numbers. Which means the as sempre will be expanding.

NAMICA

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Can any one post what is the criteria of this competition?

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
in return they may pressure us to buy their F-16 jets....
I am not too sure if that quid pro quo be a viable business deal. My question anyhow was to learn more technical aspect of USA using delta-wing jet for training purposes.

Karthi

Country flag
1280px-U2484_HAL_HJT-16_Kiran_Indian_Air_Force_(_Surya_Kiran_Aerobatic_Team_)_(8414605364).jpg

HAL plans to convert HJT-16 Kiran jet into UAV for Wingman Program. HJT 16 will use as a test bed for India's Unmanned Stealth Wingman . HHT 16 will be able to switch between Internal and external pilot through Artificial Intelligence .

porky_kicker

Country flag
pointless. consign Kiran aircraft to trashcan and use IJT Sitara. IJT has made good progress and will be inducted too.
One needs a aircraft with which one is most familiar with and easier to implement AI on . It is a test bed for a reason. Tandan seating will be a additional bonus in my opinion during the test cycle .

Sitara is yet to be certified and exists in prototypes only

When AI is validated , if need be it can be tested or utilised for Sitara for more complexity etc

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles