LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Only IOC Mk1s would need to wait till MLU to be upgraded to MK1A, not the FOC ones.
with just two 1200 liter drop tanks it flies 1800 km in a sub optimal altitude of 28000 ft for 2.5 hours and land with 800 KG fuel in tanks in flights from bangalore to jamnagar,

Add a center line fuel tank and ligh load, it can do any brochure combat range of any single engine fighter,

Tejas has the lowest RCS and ELTA EW for survival , with excellent 2052 AESA radar, Asrtra, MICA, R73E, ASRAAM misiles and all PGMs that can be carried by upgraded mirage 2000s,

in facttejas mk1A is many notches above 50 million dollar per plane upgraded Mirage 2000s which recntly crossed into pakistan for balakot strike,

why limit it to indian airsace?

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
Tejas radome diameter is slightly higher than Rafale's

SO it gives you the ability to mount a decent sized AESA radar , with high TR module number,

Tejas mk1 has a ballast weight of 200 kg approx in its nose cone,

it can be replacd with AESA radar cooling unit,

Also tejas is relaxed static stability fighter with 4 channel digital fly by wire tech, (the top notch nervous system fr any modern fighter jet like F22, rafale, typhoon etc)

This will help tejas to be agile in close combat with the aid of low wing loading and high thrust to weight ratio.

So in a nutshell with just 4 air to air missiles,

tejas has the lowest frontal RCS and one of the most powerful AESA radars in IAF(barring future Su30 MKI upgrade's and probably rafale's)

with Astra missile and upcoming Astra mk2, tejas mk1A will be second to none in BVR or WVR in south asian skies,

Nowadays medium wave litening IRST unit tech itself is improving in leaps and bounds , and may get near nose mounted long wave IRST bubble,

So tejas mk1A itself is no slouch in any modern combat capability

All 40 tejas mk1s are upgradable to mk1A standards in MLU,
not to mention the integration of rudra 1/2 variants along with our glide bombs, HSLD's bombs, SAAW, Sudharshans and also there is possibility of brahmos NG integration.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Mk1a is a light combat aircraft....with limited capability......has limited payload and limited endurance
So will be operated in limited number
But mwf which will have double payload than mk1a will be operated in 200 numbers
can carry 4 plus ton pay load,

has endurance of 2.5 plus hours without refuelling,

has a fuel fraction as good as any other single engined fighter,

has one of the lowest fuel consumption GE404 (low SFC)

Tejas mk1A scores above 50 million dollar per plane Mirage 2000 in all aspects,

SO what is your point?

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Not a problem as long as they are within Indian airspace. Hence the fitment of all standoff munitions.
Those area will become hot zones in the battle field and IAF will have to cross the LC to maximize the effectiveness of the ammunitions .....

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
View attachment 62129
a bit unrelated but this pic was posted few pages back, the gun hasn't been mounted tho HAL is ready after IAF demands.
pictures of gun mounted tejas are already seen in he net, I think,

My guess is that protruding stuff is not the gun, it is a shield that will be replaced periodically. needs clarification though

its job is to protect the fuselage from gunfire effects,

I have seen such plates on Su 30 MKI

Dessert Storm

Country flag
So please stop misdirecting public with statements like,

"Maybe because it was an attempt, a long time after Marut, on designing a fighter. They would have wanted to get the max out of a simple design (you see the canards in MK2 now),

without too many control surfaces. This would make the control laws 'relatively' simple to write, test, refine and at the same time make the design less likely to fail.

All this might have resulted in a compromise on aerodynamics (F 35 ain't too nimble either, dosen't mean it's bad). "

A word about control laws tejas CLAWS ,

SAAB tried to develop this tech for grippenC and failed, SAAB's failure led to crash of wo grippen protoypes , leading to test pilots hurrying into retirement,

Then SAAB outsourced this critical tech to a US firm in Gripen C,

Even in nGripen NG , the same US firm is developing this CLAWS , fly by wire tech.

But ADA 's reliable and efficient RSS fly by wire CLAWS has drawn accolades from pilots around the world,

And now ISRO's shuttle prototypes, and future shuttles are relying on the same tech to land from space,

The reason ADA and NAVY, IAF are confident about short timelines fr Tejas mk2, TEDBF, AMCA is this indigenous CLAWS expertise by developed by ADA fr Tejas mk1.

Also both tejas mk2, and AMCA will have the same wing loading like tejas mk1,

In aerodynamics, wing loading is the total mass of an aircraft divided by the area of its wing.

This low wing loading enables fighters to take off and land with high loads from high altitude himalay airfield like LEH.

It also gives the fighter a sharp nose pointing ability via ITR,

SO Tejas mk2, AMCA fly by wire software will rely on the tried , tested and proved to be excellent CLAWSD effort of Tejas mk1,

canards are just additional surfaces for vortex aiding and short take off landing devices, that will require some modification of CLAWS

"
So the whole point of your excellent display of knowledge is that Control Laws are apparantly dependent on wing loading only. Nothing else matters.
I don't agree to that assertion.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
So the whole point of your excellent display of knowledge is that Control Laws are apparantly dependent on wing loading only. Nothing else matters.
I don't agree to that assertion.
Please explain ,

about your ideas of control laws,,,,

What I siad was,

since all 3 Tejas mk2, AMCA, Tejas mk1 hv same wing loading,

their flight profiles

can be predicted with far more accuracy in software simulation,

leading to shorter control laws development, not porting the same control laws on all the fighters.

since tejas mk1 CLAWS simulation was proven with 2000 plus test flights over two decades, in various flight profiles,

AMCA Tejas mk2 teams are sure footed in this area,

where SAAB couldn even take its baby steps,

Even russians are doing it first time in SU 57

and there is no record of chinese ever finessing

this fine art of building CLAWS fr Relaxed Static Stability, low wing loading deltas

Last edited:

Dessert Storm

Country flag
with just two 1200 liter drop tanks it flies 1800 km in a sub optimal altitude of 28000 ft for 2.5 hours and land with 800 KG fuel in tanks in flights from bangalore to jamnagar,

Add a center line fuel tank and ligh load, it can do any brochure combat range of any single engine fighter,

Tejas has the lowest RCS and ELTA EW for survival , with excellent 2052 AESA radar, Asrtra, MICA, R73E, ASRAAM misiles and all PGMs that can be carried by upgraded mirage 2000s,

in facttejas mk1A is many notches above 50 million dollar per plane upgraded Mirage 2000s which recntly crossed into pakistan for balakot strike,

why limit it to indian airsace?
You might be a veteran of so many fights on this thread. Right now your missiles are all over. Just look at the the post you tagged for your reaction.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Please explain ,

What I siad was,

their flight profile can be predicted with far more accuracy leading to shorter control laws development, not porting the same control laws on all the fighters
I already expressed my ideas about the same in the post you originally replied to. There's an attachment to my previous post for details.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Please explain ,

What I siad was,

their flight profile can be predicted with far more accuracy leading to shorter control laws development, not porting the same control laws on all the fighters
Yeah. So my initial point was that one of the reasons for keeping Tejas design simple was to make control laws simples. That 'might' have lead to some 'probable' loss in aerodynamics. Never said it's a bad fighter. You would also know that in the initial design phase, Tejas did have canards, and the reason for dropping them was simplicity in design.

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
You might be a veteran of so many fights on this thread. Right now your missiles are all over. Just look at the the post you tagged for your reaction.
SO ,,,,,

If posting google links wihout knowing what it means are your ideas of "missile", no one can win you...

Kudos,,,,

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
can carry 4 plus ton pay load,

has endurance of 2.5 plus hours without refuelling,

has a fuel fraction as good as any other single engined fighter,

has one of the lowest fuel consumption GE404 (low SFC)

Tejas mk1A scores above 50 million dollar per plane Mirage 2000 in all aspects,

SO what is your point?
Sir with due respect ...I know the above points mentioned by you.....
I just tried to say that Tejas mk1a can't fulfill the requirements of a medium fighter jet......so we need mwf ...
The question was why only 83 mk1a.......
Tejas LCA is to replace mig21 and mig27......is not it .....

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Again I want to inform you all that Tejas can fly for 2.5 hrs ....with 2 bvrs 2 ccms...with 2*1200 ltr drop tank....

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
Yeah. So my initial point was that one of the reasons for keeping Tejas design simple was to make control laws simples. That 'might' have lead to some 'probable' loss in aerodynamics. Never said it's a bad fighter. You would also know that in the initial design phase, Tejas did have canards, and the reason for dropping them was simplicity in design.
Tejas is the most complex Ab initio Relaxed Static Stability 4 channel all digital fly by wire effort for a green field project in the world,

It shares the same DNA as that of F22, rafale, Eurofighter in this field.

Its the pinnacle for any fighter design effort,

All it needs are good engines,

Even on radar front with UTTAM AESA approaching maturity,

This one project has almost covered all aspects of modern fighter design, besides giving a usable fighter that is as good as any other in south asian skies in BVR combat & WVR combat,

Dessert Storm

Country flag
SO ,,,,,

If posting google links wihout knowing what it means are your ideas of "missile", no one can win you...

Kudos,,,,
Posting replies without knowing what you are replying to us called a 'mis-directed missile'. You don't need to Google for that, because you won't find the correct answer. Which also means that I also understand that everything ain't Google.

Dessert Storm

Country flag
Tejas is the most complex Ab initio Relaxed Static Stability 4 channel all digital fly by wire effort for a green field project in the world,

It shares the same DNA as that of F22, rafale, Eurofighter in this field
Understood. But the point was not to complicate it further. I am unable to find the article which quoted the design team. I based my assertion on that quote.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles