LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
The Range is 2000km with 2 x 450kg bombs, 2xCCM, 1 LDP

Sometime back, I made a long post pointing out why Range of LCA is equivalent to F-16, Mirage 2000. Something similar was written by Indranil in his article. To cut the matter short

Range of LCA would be 1000km with 2x1000 kg bombs, 2 CCM, 1 LDP, Drop tanks

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Yeah, I know. But that's the ELL-8212/ELL-8222 self-protection jammer pod.
However, these two Rafael SkyShield & ELTA-ELL-8251 are both much larger ones, meant to be carried at centerline hardpoint... mostly effective against ground threats or aircrafts at lower altitudes (removes the need for fuel inefficient terrain hugging flight).

Watch the two videos i shared, you'll see what i mean. Anna spot the two news links we have both of those in inventory, but used on inferior air to ground attack aircrafts like Su-30 & Jaguar!.. Tejas can do better.

Actually can you ask HVT's opinion on this?
This should make Tejas more potent.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Regarding Tejas range and payload some old info.
Remember it's based on older conservative estimates so actual performance could be much higher.

LCA_05.png

So in air to air configuration 2 ccm + spj + 4 bvr + centreline tank (less than 2000kg ) it can go 800+ km .

And even with 4ton payload bomb truck configuration it can go 600-700km easily.

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
That's a throughly misleading chart... Any external fuel has to be counted as external payload.

Accurately represented graph (limit at 4.5 ton):View attachment 52545

If someone can't even make a proper representation, there's no reason to consider their data as credible.
It's just a chart . Anyone can read it anyway one wants. Besides as I cautioned data is old but it's credible just falls short of latest info.

doreamon

Country flag
Is there ny plan to paint radar absorbing material on mk1 ? We painted it on mig21 in past . How much rcs can be reduced by the paint . Right now publicly available figure says it is 0.5 .

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
It's just a chart . Anyone can read it anyway one wants. Besides as I cautioned data is old but it's credible just falls short of latest info.
Nonetheless if that were accurate, then the range difference between config with 3 tanks & just 2 inboard tanks (in blue) would be this;
IMG_20200711_065225.png

...as per BRF Indranil only 100knots range gets added, after overcoming the added drag.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Nonetheless if that were accurate, then the range difference between config with 3 tanks & just 2 inboard tanks (in blue) would be this;View attachment 52561
...as per BRF Indranil only 100knots range gets added, after overcoming the added drag.
100 knots == 185 km after optimization this might increase to 250-300 km.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
they will demo mk1A but when.
Converting an LSP to a new standard takes time in developing subsystems & design changes. In case of LSP to Mark 1A, most systems are ready (unlike MWF or AMCA). So they will...
  • integrate Astra & ASRAAM to it,
  • mesh its EW suite with the radar & RWR,
  • do certain structural modifications internally,
  • maybe some weight reducing measures too,
  • significantly overhaul its mission com & avionics,
  • possibly update its flight control softwares,
  • rebuild the body with new composites.
The 1st flight is set in 2022, so there will be months of ground test before that. Which means building of the prototype should done by the end of 2021.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles