LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Oh come on guys, I don't want to get into any squabbles with you all, but they are talking about the mk 1 and its not an old article its just 1 year old and its relevant for all variants of mk1....remember, one of the ASQR requirements that tejas didn't achieve was 18 deg STR....and that's the rate mk 2 is expected to achieve.....
If its any consolation, the superhornet and all variants of f 35 also have the same rate....:clap2:....i am just stating the facts here......for our first attempt at a modern fighter (that is, not counting marut and ajeet) its pretty good, even with that huge delta......🤷🏻‍♂️

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Yeah, and ...one more thing
Is that so?.. Show me some examples.
About that, you know....if you watch all the videos, after the bahrain display tejas doesn't do the 360, and i am talking about horizontal, level flight 360.....if you look at aero india 2017, vayushakthi, aero india 2019, lima.....none of those....🤷🏻‍♂️...at bahrain though, it took 24-25 secs...

Super lca

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Yeah, and ...one more thing

About that, you know....if you watch all the videos, after the bahrain display tejas doesn't do the 360, and i am talking about horizontal, level flight 360.....if you look at aero india 2017, vayushakthi, aero india 2019, lima.....none of those....🤷🏻‍♂️...at bahrain though, it took 24-25 secs...
I reckon the tejas flown in Bahrain airshow was by a test pilot so he exactly knew what tejas can not the inexperienced iaf pilot in Lima or vayushakti

Emperor Kalki

Country flag

. The max rate turn begins at 0:33 and it ends up at the same spot at 0:54, for a full 360 degree turn. That is 21 seconds for 360 degrees.
Works out to 17.14 degrees per second Sustained Turn Rate.
Bro the max turn rate is different from a level flight 360 okay, the aircraft trades altitude for energy and uses the energy to execute the turn....but still may lose much energy after it.....and its pretty clear that it is not done at level flight and it just reverses the direction....now this is more a practical manoeuvre rather than an airshow manoeuvres and tejas does it pretty well tooo..... but imho, these two can't be equated.....of you want a reference you can watch the bahrain video in which tejas does both manoeuvres in its display
..... otherwise as i told you tejas does that max rate direction change lovely.....👍😘

IndianHawk

Country flag
Bro the max turn rate is different from a level flight 360 okay, the aircraft trades altitude for energy and uses the energy to execute the turn....but still may lose much energy after it.....and its pretty clear that it is not done at level flight and it just reverses the direction....now this is more a practical manoeuvre rather than an airshow manoeuvres and tejas does it pretty well tooo..... but imho, these two can't be equated.....of you want a reference you can watch the bahrain video in which tejas does both manoeuvres in its display
..... otherwise as i told you tejas does that max rate direction change lovely.....👍😘
I'm aware of that. That video loop shows average turn rate between str and itr but it's closer to str.

Anyway like I said before . Draw your own conclusions.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Maximum sustained rate of turn will be 17 deg per sec and maximum attainable 30 deg per sec according to tejas.gov.in
Oh ok. Thanks.
Could you share the video bro......
Two good ones.

Impressive (-)G turn at 1:55 & other hard manoeuvres at 1:10, 2:40, 3:35 & 5:50 (officially described as a loop followed by minimum-radius-turn).

Displaying capability to maintain constant Sustained Turn Rate with 2½ turns back to back.
Nice one from Aero India 2019.

Aero India 2017 display. Sick instantaneous turns.

Last edited:

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Oh ok. Thanks.
Two good ones.

Impressive (-)G turn at 1:55 & other hard manoeuvres at 1:10, 2:40, 3:35 & 5:50 (officially described as a loop followed by minimum-radius-turn).

Displaying capability to maintain constant Sustained Turn Rate with 2½ turns back to back.
Nice one from Aero India 2019.
Nothing unusual brother...just what i told earlier....
And the aircraft does lose energy after all the turns, just like all other aircrafts.....🤷🏻‍♂️

Emperor Kalki

Country flag

And the aircraft does lose energy after all the turns, just like all other aircrafts.....🤷🏻‍♂️
May be all this is due to some misunderstanding....let me try my best to clear it......
Its an old video so don't jump the gun on tejas taking 29 to 30 secs.....it has improved from that later.....but my point is that such turns in a level flight are probably the only sources for concluding on STR in any airshow manoeuvres......that was my point....sorry if i didn't make it clear in the previous ones.....🤷🏻‍♂️🙏

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Yeah but turns are still max 21sec tho. I didn't see any 24-25 sec timing.
Yeah about that, tejas doesn't do such a turn at no other airshow after bahrain...and completing other manoeuvres in 21 secs won't count for STR estimation.....that's what i have been saying....nilesh and indranil are the most believable ones to trust when it comes to editorials on tejas...and they wrote that DDR article i shared.....🤷🏻‍♂️

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Yeah about that, tejas doesn't do such a turn at no other airshow after bahrain...and completing other manoeuvres in 21 secs won't count for STR estimation.....that's what i have been saying....nilesh and indranil are the most believable ones to trust when it comes to editorials on tejas...and they wrote that DDR article i shared.....🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes it is. IAF made in official description of the display during Lima 2019. That describes it has loop followed by minimum-radius-turn. So that move it does at almost every show is definitely 360° max rate turn.
You're not making stuff up are you?.. Because why would you select a very very old video of a prototype vehicles (!) doing exact same move as above to prove your point?

Last edited:

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
Yes it is. IAF made in official description of the display during Lima 2019. That describes it has loop followed by minimum-radius-turn. So that move it does at almost every show is definitely 360° max rate turn.

You're not making stuff up are you?.. because why would you select a very very old video video of a prototype vehicles?
No no don't misunderstand me...... I took that video just to make it clear that these types of turns are the ones you need to estimate STR.... in all other manoeuvres a lot of other variables also come into play....🤷🏻‍♂️...so that's it....i said I didn't want a squabble and i can see that this is probably leading to one...and i don't want one......so why don't we end it as @IndianHawk said, respecting each others views.....no hard feelings....😁

Last edited:

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
No no don't misunderstand me...... I took that video just to demonstrate that these types of turns are the ones you need to estimate STR.... in all other manoeuvres a lot of other variables also come into play....🤷🏻‍♂️...so that's it.
Well you're wrong... Now I'm sure, as IAF themselves described that double turn maneuver in recent displays as loop+min-radius-turn & they all take 20sec now. Bahrain... Lima... Aero India... Defexpo...
In your example video it takes longer, not because of "lot of other variables" but because it is of an outdated prototype vehicle flying in it.
🤷🏻‍♂️

Anyways that's all moot discussion. Official source;
https://www.tejas.gov.in/featured_articles/air_marshal_msd_wollen/page_02.html
MTOW 12500kg. It will be super-sonic at all altitudes, max speed of M 1.5 at the tropopause. Specific excess power and g-over load data has not been published. Maximum sustained rate of turn will be 17 deg per sec and maximum attainable 30 deg per sec.
And ^that probably is outdated data too. Fuckers clearly haven't updated since 2015... The MTOW from 12500kg is 14100kg now. They will try for 14500kg soon I hear.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles