LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
Maybe carrying on seperate pylons, but enclosed in stealthy pod/s?.. Doubtful.

This bird is practically clean config. Can tanks be made stealthy too? :hmm:
View attachment 49248
Yes Drop tanks can indeed be made stealthy, u just have to alter the paint, material and shape.
There is already one for f 35, f 22.
There was an AMCA slide show video where they showed Stealth drop tanks.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Yes Drop tanks can indeed be made stealthy, u just have to alter the paint, material and shape.
You also need to drop them with whole pylon. As done for f22. Which makes it very costly.

piKacHHu

Country flag
Stealth and aerodynamics don't go hand in hand; in most cases they act inversely with respect to each other. You may achieve stealth in frontal aspect but it may lead to increase in drag due to higher surface area.
Having said that, IMO there is no significant benefit in designing stealthier drop tanks which in most cases are ejected when fighters approach merge during dogfights.

For BVR part, due to limitation of FCS & missile range, the engagement range hovers around 100-120 kms. For Tejas, the tactic could be formulated which requires dropping of tanks while entering in this engagement range so that it could exploit its low RCS fully. In other words, BVR tactics dictate engaging target as near as possible to NEZ range of BVR AAMs, so Drop tank/No Drop tank it doesn't make any difference for Tejas if it stays out of the range of BVR missiles. You may detect it with AWACS but what can you do if you can't engage it with BVR AAM?

For strike missions, the loadout (Guided bombs/A-G Missiles) will spoil the party more as compared to Drop tanks. So again where is the benefit ?

IndianHawk

Country flag
Data which has been now confirmed through multiple sources.
Lca mk1 . Mtow is 14100kg.
Payload 4300 ton ( + full internal fuel).
Combat radius exceeds jaguar with same payload.
(600-700km at least ).

rohit b3

Country flag
Data which has been now confirmed through multiple sources.
Lca mk1 . Mtow is 14100kg.
Payload 4300 ton ( + full internal fuel).
Combat radius exceeds jaguar with same payload.
(600-700km at least ).
These things should be updated on Tejas's official site. I dont think the LCA team is not doing a great job when it comes to marketing..

Super lca

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
These things should be updated on Tejas's official site. I dont think the LCA team is not doing a great job when it comes to marketing..
Right I guess it's of the ioc version?plus I had seen that the itr and str mentioned is 30 degrees 18 degrees respectively is that true?

IndianHawk

Country flag
Right I guess it's of the ioc version?plus I had seen that the itr and str mentioned is 30 degrees 18 degrees respectively is that true?
Yes those are true and were demonstrated at Bahrain air show.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
STR is less than 18......15-16, as per all available sources...
On paper... Even IOC Tejas consistently completes 360 full loops in 20 seconds (lowest is 18 sec). That makes STR 18°/sec!.. Interesting I am yet to find any YouTube video at least square it takes any longer than 21 seconds. Have you?..

They still have range stated as 300km, MTOW as 13500, effective payload as 3.5 ton. Those are the most conservative data that they haven't updated in years.

Last edited:

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
On paper... Even IOC Tejas consistently completes 360 full loops in 20 seconds (lowest is 18 sec). That makes STR 18°/sec!.. Interesting I am yet to find any YouTube video at least square it takes any longer than 21 seconds. Have you?..

They still have range stated as 300km, MTOW as 13500, effective payload as 3.5 ton. Those are the most conservative data that they haven't updated in years.
No bro...in every airshow video available, it definitely takes 24-25 secs for 360.....
And for a reliable source....

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
No bro...in every airshow video available, it definitely takes 24-25 secs for 360.....
And for a reliable source....
But do remember that all these 360 turns at 18 or more degrees are airshow perfomances for all the fighters.....but for real scenarios......well we can't just say......there are too many variables....but for now we can satisfy ourselves with this, i think....🤷‍♂️

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Is that so?.. Show me some examples.

That article you posted is based on unofficial, old & unreliable data. Could be complete hogwash.

IndianHawk

Country flag

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
This article is very old. And that 15-16 ° str is for restricted performance envelope at ioc.
Yes, i was wrong. It was the LSPs that broke the barrier. Which is probably why the Lima Langkawi display was kinda meh. (What?.. It was!)

IndianHawk

Country flag
Yes, i was wrong. It was the LSPs that broke the barrier. Which is probably why the Lima Langkawi display was kinda meh. (What?.. It was!)
They are still opening the envelope and whatever information is available is less than actual capability.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag
They are still opening the envelope and whatever information is available is less than actual capability.
That article you posted is based on unofficial, old & unreliable data. Could be complete hogwash.
Oh come on guys, I don't want to get into any squabbles with you all, but they are talking about the mk 1 and its not an old article its just 1 year old and its relevant for all variants of mk1....remember, one of the ASQR requirements that tejas didn't achieve was 18 deg STR....and that's the rate mk 2 is expected to achieve.....

IndianHawk

Country flag
Oh come on guys, I don't want to get into any squabbles with you all, but they are talking about the mk 1 and its not an old article its just 1 year old and its relevant for all variants of mk1....remember, one of the ASQR requirements that tejas didn't achieve was 18 deg STR....and that's the rate mk 2 is expected to achieve.....
It's ok . I know what I know. You believe what you know. No big deal either way .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles