- Aug 12, 2019
Must be the phoren lobby at work, sensing the high stakes $30B MRFA game slipping away. Most recently confirmed by Dr Kota himself in Hamara Tejas ep. 3:IAF dropping Tejas MK2
- LCA Mk2 is ready- should come out after final review (which means, as planned, 2022 rollout and early 2023 first flight)
- we have the wherewithal for 5th gen fighter
- One of the few countries in the world to have end to end capability for a good TD for 6th gen unmanned fighter
- When the LCA Mk2 and AMCA (2024 rollout and 2025 first flight) comes the IAF has a plan to replace all its aircraft with LCA and derivatives
- Su-30 >> AMCA
- Mig-21 >> LCA Mk1
- Mig-29, Mirage-2000, Jaguar >> LCA Mk2
- All desi fighters in IAF in the next decade and a half
source of timeline-
‘Detailed design has been completed and metal cutting is to start shortly’
tl;dr Mk2 is coming for sure and will be the backbone of the IAF.
Also, if the IAF was unhappy with Mk2- they had the option of backing an AF derivative of TEDBF- that clearly has not happened which can mean only one thing! Besides the IAF is not known to be quiet & would have made their misgivings about the program very public if they wanted to pull the plug on it- again no trace of that anywhere. Have to say this whole controversy is just fake!