LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Sri Lanka is out of race. They preferred to update their existing aircraft.
I have my doubts viz-a-viz Bangladesh as F-16 is being also offered. It will be difficult for Tejas to compete against F-16.
Chinese are also making a push for JF-17. Lets see how things play out.

Highly unlikely. Currently we can't afford to antagonize British. Our JV with RR is more important for AMCA's engine.

Officially not yet.
F16 costs double the price of Tejas. Mig 35 are cheap but high operating and maintenance cost.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
F16 costs double the price of Tejas. Mig 35 are cheap but high operating and maintenance cost.
Buying F-16 comes with American blessing something Tejas can't offer, countries like Bangladesh will probably go for F-16 over Tejas as they are dependent on US for exports. I like to see how JF-17 plays out. It will be PRC vs US.

kamaal

Country flag
Buying F-16 comes with American blessing something Tejas can't offer, countries like Bangladesh will probably go for F-16 over Tejas as they are dependent on US for exports. I like to see how JF-17 plays out. It will be PRC vs US.
F16 also comes with threat of sanctions and bullying. Tejas comes with dark future and inconsistencies. Jf17 comes with unreliability and crashes. BD should choose wisely, according to their ability to tolerate above problems.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
F16 also comes with threat of sanctions and bullying. Tejas comes with dark future and inconsistencies. Jf17 comes with unreliability and crashes. BD should choose wisely, according to their ability to tolerate above problems.
From BD point of view Tejas also comes with threat of sanctions as it uses US built engines and several LRU that are imported from west.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
How many aircrafts completed? Any first flights happening..?
Either 9 or 10... Apparently the were soft delivered. Final delivery will be after Astra & SAAW integration.
Until then the squadron is tied to Sulur. Parts of IOC squadron were at TACDE, don't know what their doing now. Mostly standardised to FOC level. All BVR capable

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Searching for the IAF Day display, I found one from Srilanka one i hasn't seen before... A work of art (edit can't be seen directly tho)!

ersakthivel

Brilliance
Country flag
what would be more interesting though is, under what climatic test conditions other fighters achieve 9G , & top speed.

because most MNCs specify their top specs at certain temp and certain atmospheric conditions,

It remains to be seen whether ADA FOC fr Tejas topspecs is

given under the international standard test atmospheric conditions

or typical indian operating atmospheric conditions

because india has generally high humidity and high temp conditions compared to the world, which has a negative effect on engine peak thrust range ,and drag.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Either 9 or 10... Apparently the were soft delivered. Final delivery will be after Astra & SAAW integration.
Until then the squadron is tied to Sulur. Parts of IOC squadron were at TACDE, don't know what their doing now. Mostly standardised to FOC level. All BVR capable
Going against the previous practice, IAF would induct the whole bunch of 14 aircraft at a single shot this time. 13th aircraft assembly has been completed. Induction would be completed within this fiscal year.

Spitfire9

Country flag
13th aircraft assembly has been completed. Induction would be completed within this fiscal year.
Very good news.for FOC

I forget, when are the 8 trainers due? Are they building them at the moment? Some stations on the assembly lines must surely be free . I presume they will have cleared the lines before Mk1A hits the lines.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Very good news.for FOC

I forget, when are the 8 trainers due? Are they building them at the moment? Some stations on the assembly lines must surely be free . I presume they will have cleared the lines before Mk1A hits the lines.
No. At present no trainer variant is undergoing construction. All 18 trainers would be manufactured together.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles